Some funny sounds

Discuss PoP1 for DOS here.
Andrew
Wise Scribe
Wise Scribe

Re: Some funny sounds

Post by Andrew »

I didn't bother installing MUNT system-wide. I prefer using it integrated into various apps.
David wrote:I have to set: mididevice=mt32 in dosbox.conf.
Now it works!
I didn't even think to mention that because I thought that would've been the first thing you'd have done. :) Anyway, what do you think of the (close to) actual MT-32 sounds now?
David
The Prince of Persia
The Prince of Persia

Post by David »

Andrew wrote:I didn't even think to mention that because I thought that would've been the first thing you'd have done.
(mididevice=mt32 in dosbox.conf)
I tried that once (before knew that I need ROMs), but then it didn't change anything.
So I thought that maybe it means to use a real MT-32, which I don't have.

Now I see it writes an error message into the log in that case, but it gets lost among all the other messages.

Code: Select all

MT32: Control ROM file not found
MIDI:Can't open device:mt32 with config:.
Andrew wrote:The official version's devs for some puzzling reason are extremely reluctant to integrate patches contributed by the community for better hardware compatibility.
They mention why didn't they include proper MT-32 emulation, here: http://sourceforge.net/blog/potm-201301/
Andrew
Wise Scribe
Wise Scribe

Post by Andrew »

David wrote:(mididevice=mt32 in dosbox.conf)
I tried that once (before knew that I need ROMs), but then it didn't change anything.
So I thought that maybe it means to use a real MT-32, which I don't have.
Ah, so you made the change when you didn't have the ROMs, then didn't once you got them. Oh well, not a big deal since we all sometimes miss things that seem obvious in hindsight. At least we're now able to enjoy the sounds as they were intended instead of wondering why the game sounds so funny in MT-32 mode. :)
David wrote:They mention why didn't they include proper MT-32 emulation, here: http://sourceforge.net/blog/potm-201301/
Having followed the drama somewhat over the years on Vogons, that interview is hardly the whole story. For example, if they were really so afraid of legal challenges from Roland to bundling the ROMs, that in no way explains why they refuse to at least add the code and leave the business of locating the ROMs to users. SCUMMVM as mentioned by them in the interview does have the code integrated but of course doesn't bundle the ROMs, and they've not faced any legal challenges yet because they're not distributing anything illegal. Moreover MT-32 support is not the only improvement the unofficial DOSBox builds have, so I'd have to say there are probably ego clashes and related issues at work here. Unfortunate, but at least we have those forks to help us out thanks to the open source nature of the project.
David
The Prince of Persia
The Prince of Persia

Post by David »

doppelganger wrote:Setting sounds to Roland in 1.3 is funny. You know, the the trumpet for the prince's footsteps, and so on?
These mixed-up sounds remind me of an episode of Garfield and Friends, titled Sound Judgment.
David
The Prince of Persia
The Prince of Persia

Post by David »

PoPUW's problems page now has a section about using Munt with DOSBox: http://popuw.com/problems.html
NOTE: The original ROM code of the MT-32 is in the public domain and can be freely used and distributed.
Is that really so?
Norbert
The Prince of Persia
The Prince of Persia

Post by Norbert »

David wrote:
NOTE: The original ROM code of the MT-32 is in the public domain and can be freely used and distributed.
Is that really so?
Not really, because no legality has been established. Roland first omitted (left out forgetfully) copyright (law). Roland then wanted to use copyright restoration provisions to make it a "restored work", but failed to provide proof (documentation) of disparity in international publication dates. (They found the first Japanese sale date, but not for the United States.) So, they then made the emulation developer an offer "without prejudice": publication can continue, but "if any evidence does surface, Roland will request that this site be taken down again" (source). It's an ongoing battle by the Electronic Frontier Foundation and others against the Berne Convention and other copyright and trade treaties that relate to our privacy and digital rights. The rich rulers can decide to retrospectively give Roland copyright tomorrow.
David
The Prince of Persia
The Prince of Persia

Post by David »

Thanks for the info.

Oh, great. So it's another complicated copyright case...
Norbert
The Prince of Persia
The Prince of Persia

Post by Norbert »

Andrew wrote: December 14th, 2015, 6:08 pmMT32: LCD-Message: The Princess awaits.
Video of the message:
https://twitter.com/Shot97Retro/status/ ... 0419079169
David
The Prince of Persia
The Prince of Persia

Post by David »

Norbert wrote: June 4th, 2019, 9:15 pm Video of the message:
https://twitter.com/Shot97Retro/status/ ... 0419079169
One of the replies has some factual errors:
From what I gathered, MT-32 support was only in version 1.2 of the game. 1.0 defaulted to PC speaker, 1.2 supports a bunch, and 1.3 was only SB (also bigger levels there)
"1.2" is actually 1.3, and "1.3" with "bigger levels" is actually 1.4 with the SNES levels mod.

This isn't the first time someone found 1.4 with SNES levels and thought 1.4 officially has different levels:
viewtopic.php?p=4338#p4338
viewtopic.php?p=4411#p4411

That version can be found here: http://princeofpersia.ppa.pl/pliki/prince14.zip
But currently the download page of the site links to a file on PoPUW instead.
Norbert
The Prince of Persia
The Prince of Persia

Post by Norbert »

David wrote: June 14th, 2019, 8:42 pmThis isn't the first time someone found 1.4 with SNES levels and thought 1.4 officially has different levels: [...]
Kind of related, this June 13th video titled "Prince of Persia (1989) v 15 minutách":
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z9vqZANX6nA
(Someone who thinks the SNES levels are the "1989" levels.)
David
The Prince of Persia
The Prince of Persia

Post by David »

Norbert wrote: June 14th, 2019, 10:51 pm Kind of related, this June 13th video titled "Prince of Persia (1989) v 15 minutách":
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z9vqZANX6nA
(Someone who thinks the SNES levels are the "1989" levels.)
At 1:52 he switches and plays the original DOS levels instead.
Norbert
The Prince of Persia
The Prince of Persia

Post by Norbert »

David wrote: June 15th, 2019, 10:32 amAt 1:52 he switches and plays the original DOS levels instead.
Oh, yeah.
I didn't bother watching it that long...
4DPlayer

Post by 4DPlayer »

Something I have been curious about is why the 1.3 metallic sword sound doesn’t work well in 1.0.
In this video of my mod, Levels Of Illusion, a prompt kid hurt or guard hurt sound gets muted when it immediately follows the sword vs. sword sound.

I thought it might have been because 1.3 has different kid hurt and guard hurt sounds, but replacing them in 1.0 DIGISND.DAT files still made the muted sounds happen.
David
The Prince of Persia
The Prince of Persia

Post by David »

4DPlayer wrote: October 8th, 2019, 11:33 pm Something I have been curious about is why the 1.3 metallic sword sound doesn’t work well in 1.0.
In this video of my mod, Levels Of Illusion, a prompt kid hurt or guard hurt sound gets muted when it immediately follows the sword vs. sword sound.

I thought it might have been because 1.3 has different kid hurt and guard hurt sounds, but replacing them in 1.0 DIGISND.DAT files still made the muted sounds happen.
It might be because the sword cling has a different priority in 1.0 and 1.3: viewtopic.php?p=17989#p17989

Code: Select all

sound            priority
10 sword cling   0x0A (10) in 1.0, 0x0D (13) in 1.3
11 sword moving  0x12 (18)
12 guard hurt    0x0C (12)
13 kid hurt      0x0B (11)
The rule is that a sound with a smaller priority number can interrupt a sound with a larger priority number.
So, in 1.0, the hurt sounds can't interrupt the sword cling sound.
But in 1.3, they can.

I've just checked, this problem appears in SDLPoP when fighting the fat guard using 1.3 sound files.
SDLPoP uses the 1.0 priorities (currently).
I guess I should change it?
(And make the table more readable, while at it.)
This was already reported once, and then forgotten: viewtopic.php?p=17969#p17969

You can fix this in PoP 1.0 by hex-editing PRINCE.EXE:
Search for 0A 12 0C 0B, change 0A to 0D.
4DPlayer

Post by 4DPlayer »

Thanks David. Again :D
This is very very helpful.