Prince of Persia - the guard in level 8

Discuss PoP1 for DOS here.
ZEUS
Efendi
Efendi

Prince of Persia - the guard in level 8

Post by ZEUS »

I uploaded today the video and I recorded it through DosBox. I show how to kill guards did not move forward, simple way .. and I did it twice - without losing even one life point.

A easy way to kill the guard in level 8. the Guard not moving forward.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bo9l-eNWtnY

Insert the sword and issue it back quickly, and hit the guard. When you insert the sword, the guard will move forward.
It's a method that I invented. Maybe somebody made it before, but I do not know about it.

enjoy!
Norbert
The Prince of Persia
The Prince of Persia

Re: Prince of Persia - the guard in level 8

Post by Norbert »

Could be useful for players who have difficulty fighting that guard type.
Shamrock
Efendi
Efendi

Post by Shamrock »

It's really efficient. Now I can forget about problems with that careful guard. :) Thanks!
mk1995
The Prince of Persia
The Prince of Persia

Post by mk1995 »

I think the method of sheathing your sword, then quickly taking it back out and landing a hit had been figured out years ago. But it's nice if you figured it out yourself.

My favorite way of handling him is to take a step forward, so I'm in his striking range. He'll obviously then try to attack me, but I immediately take a step back to evade the blow, and then retaliate. However, the distance at which you are before doing that needs to be sufficiently far. If you're too close, you'll get hit.
Just to make something clear: I will not reply to daft PMs like "Where can I find X?" or "Can you give me a link to Y?". Most of your questions are likely answerable if only you took your bloody time to look through these forums and use Google if all else fails. Sheesh...
Norbert
The Prince of Persia
The Prince of Persia

Post by Norbert »

mk1995 wrote:My favorite way of handling him is to take a step forward, so I'm in his striking range. He'll obviously then try to attack me, but I immediately take a step back to evade the blow, and then retaliate. However, the distance at which you are before doing that needs to be sufficiently far. If you're too close, you'll get hit.
Moving backwards to dodge attacks is something I never even considered doing until I saw - I think it was - yaqxsw doing it in a video.
It seems quite usable, but since that move was basically unknown to me, I've been dealing with - and still deal with - that first guard in level 8 in another way.
I approach him the same way I approach all the guards and it seems to work. What I do is, in this order:
- Move towards the guard by pressing the arrow key as many times as possible before he attacks. (This particular guard will allow that max. two times. You have to be fast...)
- Block his attack by pressing the up arrow key.
- Then keep alternating between Shift (to attack) and the up arrow key (to block) until there's a hit.

If you check the guard types document, you can see why that guard at the beginning of level 8 is so annoying.
He will never move into the striking range (0/255), but almost always strike when you enter that range (220/225, which is ≈97.8%).
kj-5349
Sultan
Sultan

Post by kj-5349 »

ZEUS wrote:...Maybe somebody made it before,
After looking through I discovered this one made by eowendyl in Youtube, this technique was first seen in Jan 2009 (upload date)
*Around nearly the 1st minute*

By the way, another video also following Zeus's technique here, the walkthrough of my own recent mod :D
*the fight is against the dark blue guard*
Norbert
The Prince of Persia
The Prince of Persia

Post by Norbert »

Norbert wrote: November 14th, 2012, 1:16 am
mk1995 wrote:My favorite way of handling him is to take a step forward, so I'm in his striking range. He'll obviously then try to attack me, but I immediately take a step back to evade the blow, and then retaliate. However, the distance at which you are before doing that needs to be sufficiently far. If you're too close, you'll get hit.
Moving backwards to dodge attacks is something I never even considered doing until I saw - I think it was - yaqxsw doing it in a video.
Also possible, as recently demonstrated by Falcury, is moving forwards to dodge attacks. :)
(Probably won't work with the guard in level 8, but to add to my remark about moving backwards to dodge.)
atrueprincefanfrom18
Site Shah
Site Shah

Post by atrueprincefanfrom18 »

Norbert wrote: May 27th, 2018, 12:49 am
Norbert wrote: November 14th, 2012, 1:16 am
Also possible, as recently demonstrated by Falcury, is moving forwards to dodge attacks. :)
(Probably won't work with the guard in level 8, but to add to my remark about moving backwards to dodge.)
Works with all type of guards. Actually, what happens is when you put your sword back you go a bit backwards and when you take out your sword back, you come more forward then what you originally were. Somehow the guard cannot hit you, but you can quickly hit him before he does the same. It's an amazing trick and can be used to fight with all types of guards.
Love to create new MODS :)

My complete list of mods until now!

My channel. Do consider subscribing it! :)