Sultan's Palace Layout

Discuss PoP1 for DOS here.
mk1995
The Prince of Persia
The Prince of Persia

Sultan's Palace Layout

Post by mk1995 »

Ever wondered what the original levelset would look like if every level was directly attached to each other to form a full picture? Well, I hope I've satiated this curiosity:

I myself am actually very surprised how perfectly some of the levels fit on each other, particularly 2 and 3. Also 6 and 8, to some extent.
Just to make something clear: I will not reply to daft PMs like "Where can I find X?" or "Can you give me a link to Y?". Most of your questions are likely answerable if only you took your bloody time to look through these forums and use Google if all else fails. Sheesh...
Norbert
The Prince of Persia
The Prince of Persia

Re: Sultan's Palace Layout

Post by Norbert »

Cool. :) I like the idea to check it out too. Did you create the image?
I kind of wonder which colors are which levels, maybe numbers next to them all would help, although I do recognize most of the levels.

[Edit: image with numbers here (mirror). What I like most is that, apparently, when the shadow makes you fall down, you actually do go down, back to the dungeon section.]
Norbert
The Prince of Persia
The Prince of Persia

Post by Norbert »

mk1995 wrote:I myself am actually very surprised how perfectly some of the levels fit on each other, particularly 2 and 3. Also 6 and 8, to some extent.
Also, other than the levels being 'Tetris blocks' that kinda fit together, all the level doors line up perfectly vertically.
If the staircases would be located on the side of the levels, this could actually be build in, for example, Minecraft, with elevators. :)

[Edit: When they invent elevators in Minecraft...]
David
The Prince of Persia
The Prince of Persia

Post by David »

Some levels could use more distinct colors. For example, the two brown-ish colors look almost the same, and the two yellow colors also look too similar.
Also, the exit door of level 8 should be under the other level door on that level. (i.e. one room right to where it is currently drawn.)
Norbert wrote:all the level doors line up perfectly vertically.
If you mean that each entry door is in the same column as the exit door of the previous level, then I think MK arranged the levels that way on purpose.

I remember there was a mod by Steven Fayers, where the levels shared some identical rooms, which allowed them to be put together.
There is also a screenshot of putting them together: http://www.princed.org/content/files/sc ... spfpsp.png
mk1995
The Prince of Persia
The Prince of Persia

Post by mk1995 »

Norbert wrote:Cool. :) I like the idea to check it out too. Did you create the image?
Yep. All done by myself, using nothing but good ol' MS Paint and some online maps as reference to the layout.
David wrote:Some levels could use more distinct colors. For example, the two brown-ish colors look almost the same, and the two yellow colors also look too similar.
I believed it was distinct enough.
David wrote:Also, the exit door of level 8 should be under the other level door on that level. (i.e. one room right to where it is currently drawn.)
Um... it is?
David wrote:
Norbert wrote:all the level doors line up perfectly vertically.
If you mean that each entry door is in the same column as the exit door of the previous level, then I think MK arranged the levels that way on purpose.
Exactly. Done on purpose, though I think Level 7 could have been put two rooms deeper, since there's this place at the far right of the level that is open-ended to the right.
David wrote:I remember there was a mod by Steven Fayers, where the levels shared some identical rooms, which allowed them to be put together.
There is also a screenshot of putting them together: http://www.princed.org/content/files/sc ... spfpsp.png
I remember that, and I actually went to work on this with that at the back of my head.
Just to make something clear: I will not reply to daft PMs like "Where can I find X?" or "Can you give me a link to Y?". Most of your questions are likely answerable if only you took your bloody time to look through these forums and use Google if all else fails. Sheesh...
Norbert
The Prince of Persia
The Prince of Persia

Post by Norbert »

mk1995 wrote:
David wrote:Also, the exit door of level 8 should be under the other level door on that level. (i.e. one room right to where it is currently drawn.)
Um... it is?
Yes, what David writes is correct.

There are some other small issues. Most of those are related to rooms that are either empty or almost empty, and thus don't appear on most level maps.
Level 5 is different on the right side (and has an extra almost empty room on the left).
Level 6 also has an extra almost empty room on the left.
Level 10 has four extra rooms.
In level 11, the right side needs to be moved up, and two rooms are missing.
Level 12a and 12b both have an extra room.

I've created slightly different (and corrected) versions of the levels, that only have two colors (dungeon and palace) and that emphasize the level borders.
What I want to try is see if it's possible to have all the dungeon levels below the palace levels, except maybe level 12.
(I'll print the levels and will use scissors to create pieces that I can puzzle with in real life.)

(mirror)
mk1995
The Prince of Persia
The Prince of Persia

Post by mk1995 »

Sort of like this?

About the potion level: It was kinda puzzling where to put it, since it can appear between every level (even 12a and 12b, which are meant to be seamless), but if you play through the entire game in one sitting, the potions level will only ever appear in one place, and that is between Levels 1 and 2, so I put it there.

The demo level was MUCH harder to pinpoint. I had to remove the empty rooms to even make it fit somewhere, and the exit door leads to God-knows-where, but the point where the demo level ends leads (with a room inbetween, since you can access the exit door from the left) to that alcove on the far right of Level 7.

Also, about the pitfall from Level 6 to 7: One can only imagine that the stairwell from Level 8 to 9 must have been hollow in the middle and that was there the Prince fell through.

This hopefully makes more sense than my initial pathetic excuse for a map.
Norbert
The Prince of Persia
The Prince of Persia

Post by Norbert »

mk1995 wrote:Sort of like this?
Looks good. :)
AuraDragon
Sultan
Sultan

Post by AuraDragon »

I'd hate to see the layouts of the modded palaces, especially my own mods. :lol:
I post on the forum at weird times of the day
K&BDesigns
Scholar Scribe
Scholar Scribe

Post by K&BDesigns »

This makes me think, what the other side of level 6 would have looked like if the "mirror clone" wasn't there and made us fall to the 7th level.
Norbert
The Prince of Persia
The Prince of Persia

Post by Norbert »

Today I created a more graphical version: http://i.imgur.com/OHF4wLw.jpg (mirror)
I've filled up some of the empty areas with bricks, but didn't feel like doing everything. (Too much work...)
I've slightly moved the location of the demo level.
Since level doors aren't always at the same locations within the rooms, some things are a little different here than they are in the diagrams in this thread.
There must be some serious updraft where the shadow makes the prince fall, because it's really, really far down. That fall is half the height of the palace... :)
David
The Prince of Persia
The Prince of Persia

Post by David »

mk1995 wrote: The demo level was MUCH harder to pinpoint. I had to remove the empty rooms to even make it fit somewhere, and the exit door leads to God-knows-where, but the point where the demo level ends leads (with a room inbetween, since you can access the exit door from the left) to that alcove on the far right of Level 7.
Interestingly the walkthrough mentions something similar:
Eizaz Azhar wrote: 1) While going through "the long way", where you have to get past a trap, a gate and
a set of spikes, you may notice that there's a platform above, on your right. Why
it exists, and how to get there is still a mystery; it looks like it's conjoined to
the demo level (it really isn't; it just seems so.) Simply put; just for show and
to add mystery to the game in general.