Prince of Persia Collection Limited Edition [536 MB]

Discuss PoP1 for DOS here.
Norbert
The Prince of Persia
The Prince of Persia

Re: Prince of Persia Collection Limited Edition [536 MB]

Post by Norbert »

Shattered wrote:Can someone please edit my first post and put the new links in it? Thanks.
Sure, done. Thanks for the new links.
RaymanForever2007
Sheikh
Sheikh

Re: Prince of Persia Collection LE in Windows 10

Post by RaymanForever2007 »

Hi all.
I am new to this forum , but like PoP since it came to Windows 3.1.
Now you are talking about this retro game that is 2 games packed into one CD "The Prince of Persia Collection Limited Edition".
I really interested in this edition and tried to run it in Windows 10 with DosBox v0.74 along with QuickTime 3.2 files which is required for Riven Demo.
I succeeded it and like to share this fun.

Here are the steps I took;

1. Installed the game in Windows98SE because the installer is 16bit of it and will not run in W10.
And don't forget to run setup.exe for both of PoP1 and PoP2 for the audio settings, which makes SETUP.DAT file in the folder.
2. Copy all the game folder "Red Orb Entertainment" in W98 to C:\Program Files (x86)\ in Windows 10.
3. Copy 19 QuickTime 3.2 related files in \Windows\System of W98SE to \Windows\System in W10.
4. In W10 two registry operation needed;

4-1 for PoP Col LE-----
Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\WOW6432Node\Red Orb Entertainment]

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\WOW6432Node\Red Orb Entertainment\Prince of Persia Collection Limited Edition]

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\WOW6432Node\Red Orb Entertainment\Prince of Persia Collection Limited Edition\1.0]
"$Install_FromDrive$"="E:"
"$Install_ToDirectory$"="C:\\Program Files (x86)\\Red Orb Entertainment\\Prince of Persia CLE"
"$Install_FromRoot$"="E:\\"
"Disable Autorun Dialog (Y/N)?"="N"

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\WOW6432Node\Red Orb Entertainment\Riven Demo]

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\WOW6432Node\Red Orb Entertainment\Riven Demo\1.0]
"$Install_ToDirectory$"="C:\\Program Files (x86)\\Red Orb Entertainment\\Riven Demo"
"$Install_FromRoot$"="E:\\RIVEN\\"

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\WOW6432Node\Red Orb Entertainment\The Journeyman Project 3 - Legacy of Time Demo]

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\WOW6432Node\Red Orb Entertainment\The Journeyman Project 3 - Legacy of Time Demo\1.0]
"$Install_ToDirectory$"="C:\\Program Files (x86)\\Red Orb Entertainment\\Demos\\Journeyman Project 3 Demo"
"$Install_FromRoot$"="E:\\"

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\WOW6432Node\Red Orb Entertainment\Warlords III: Darklords Rising Demo]

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\WOW6432Node\Red Orb Entertainment\Warlords III: Darklords Rising Demo\1.0]
"$Install_ToDirectory$"="C:\\Program Files (x86)\\Red Orb Entertainment\\Warlords III - Darklords Demo"
"$Install_FromRoot$"="E:\\DARKDEMO\\"

4-2 for QuickTime3.2 -----

REGEDIT4

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\WOW6432Node\Apple]

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\WOW6432Node\Apple\QuickTime32]

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\WOW6432Node\Apple\QuickTime32\CurrentVersion]

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\WOW6432Node\Apple\QuickTime32\CurrentVersion\SharedFiles]

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\WOW6432Node\Apple\QuickTime32\CurrentVersion\SharedFiles\C:/WINDOWS/SYSTEM/QTWMCI32.DLL]
@="1"

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\WOW6432Node\Apple\QuickTime32\CurrentVersion\SharedFiles\C:/WINDOWS/SYSTEM/MCIQTENU.Q32]
@="1"

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\WOW6432Node\Apple\QuickTime32\CurrentVersion\SharedFiles\C:/WINDOWS/SYSTEM/CMGR32.DLL]
@="1"

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\WOW6432Node\Apple\QuickTime32\CurrentVersion\SharedFiles\C:/WINDOWS/SYSTEM/MC32.QTC]
@="1"

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\WOW6432Node\Apple\QuickTime32\CurrentVersion\SharedFiles\C:/WINDOWS/SYSTEM/NAVG32.QTC]
@="1"

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\WOW6432Node\Apple\QuickTime32\CurrentVersion\SharedFiles\C:/WINDOWS/SYSTEM/CVID32.QTC]
@="1"

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\WOW6432Node\Apple\QuickTime32\CurrentVersion\SharedFiles\C:/WINDOWS/SYSTEM/IV32QT32.QTC]
@="1"

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\WOW6432Node\Apple\QuickTime32\CurrentVersion\SharedFiles\C:/WINDOWS/SYSTEM/DCI32.QTC]
@="1"

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\WOW6432Node\Apple\QuickTime32\CurrentVersion\SharedFiles\C:/WINDOWS/SYSTEM/QTIM32.DLL]
@="1"

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\WOW6432Node\Apple\QuickTime32\CurrentVersion\SharedFiles\C:/WINDOWS/SYSTEM/RAW32.QTC]
@="1"

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\WOW6432Node\Apple\QuickTime32\CurrentVersion\SharedFiles\C:/WINDOWS/SYSTEM/RLE32.QTC]
@="1"

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\WOW6432Node\Apple\QuickTime32\CurrentVersion\SharedFiles\C:/WINDOWS/SYSTEM/RPZA32.QTC]
@="1"

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\WOW6432Node\Apple\QuickTime32\CurrentVersion\SharedFiles\C:/WINDOWS/SYSTEM/SMC32.QTC]
@="1"

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\WOW6432Node\Apple\QuickTime32\CurrentVersion\SharedFiles\C:/WINDOWS/SYSTEM/JPEG32.QTC]
@="1"

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\WOW6432Node\Apple\QuickTime32\CurrentVersion\SharedFiles\C:/WINDOWS/SYSTEM/QTOLE32.DLL]
@="1"

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\WOW6432Node\Apple\QuickTime32\CurrentVersion\SharedFiles\C:/WINDOWS/SYSTEM/HNDLR32.DLL]
@="1"

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\WOW6432Node\Apple\QuickTime32\CurrentVersion\SharedFiles\C:/WINDOWS/SYSTEM/DHIO32.QTC]
@="1"

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\WOW6432Node\Apple\QuickTime32\CurrentVersion\SharedFiles\C:/WINDOWS/SYSTEM/QTW32.CPL]
@="1"

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\WOW6432Node\Apple\QuickTime32\CurrentVersion\SharedFiles\C:/WINDOWS/SYSTEM/QTWCP.HLP]
@="1"

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\WOW6432Node\Apple\QuickTime32\CurrentVersion\SharedFiles\C:/WINDOWS/PLAY32.EXE]
@="1"

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\WOW6432Node\Apple\QuickTime32\CurrentVersion\SharedFiles\C:/WINDOWS/VIEW32.EXE]
@="1"

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\WOW6432Node\Apple\QuickTime32\CurrentVersion\SharedFiles\C:/WINDOWS/SAMPLE.MOV]
@="1"

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\WOW6432Node\Apple\QuickTime32\CurrentVersion\SharedFiles\C:/WINDOWS/READQT32.WRI]
@="1"

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\WOW6432Node\Apple\QuickTime32\CurrentVersion\SharedFiles\C:/WINDOWS/MCENU.HLP]
@="1"

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\WOW6432Node\Apple\QuickTime32\CurrentVersion\SharedFiles\C:/WINDOWS/PLAYENU.HLP]
@="1"

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\WOW6432Node\Apple\QuickTime32\CurrentVersion\SharedFiles\C:/WINDOWS/VIEWENU.HLP]
@="1"

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\WOW6432Node\Apple\QuickTime32\CurrentVersion\SharedFiles\C:/WINDOWS/WININI.QTW]
@="1"

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\WOW6432Node\Apple\QuickTime32\CurrentVersion\SharedFiles\C:/WINDOWS/SYSINI.QTW]
@="1"

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\WOW6432Node\Apple\QuickTime32\CurrentVersion\SharedFiles\C:/WINDOWS/QTW.QTW]
@="1"

5. OK ? you are almost done.

6. Now DosBox things. All we need is 3 files of them , i.e. DOSBox.exe、 SDL.dll and SDL_net.dll.
6-1 Working on the folder C:\Program Files (x86)\Red Orb Entertainment\Prince of Persia CLE\Prince1
+ Copy 3 DosBox files into the directory above.
+Make dosbox.conf file in that folder. Contents is;
[sdl]
fullscreen=true
fulldouble=false
fullfixed=false
fullresolution=desktop
output=ddraw
hwscale=1.00
autolock=true
sensitivity=100
waitonerror=true
priority=higher,normal
mapperfile=mapper.txt

[dosbox]
language=
machine=vga
captures=capture
memsize=16

[render]
frameskip=0
aspect=false
scaler=hq3x

[cpu]
core=dynamic
cycles=auto limit 60000
cycleup=0
cycledown=0

[mixer]
nosound=false
rate=44100
blocksize=2048
prebuffer=10

[midi]
mpu401=true
intelligent=true
device=default
config=

[sblaster]
type=sb16
base=220
irq=7
dma=1
hdma=5
mixer=true
oplmode=auto
oplrate=44100

[gus]
gus=true
rate=22050
base=240
irq1=5
irq2=5
dma1=3
dma2=3
ultradir=C:\ULTRASND

[speaker]
pcspeaker=true
pcrate=44100
tandyrate=22050
disney=true

[bios]

[dos]
xms=true
ems=true

[modem]
modem=false
comport=2
listenport=23

[directserial]
directserial=false
comport=1
realport=COM1
defaultbps=1200
parity=N
bytesize=8
stopbit=1

[ipx]
ipx=false

[autoexec]

cls

mount C "C:\Program Files (x86)\Red Orb Entertainment\Prince of Persia CLE\Prince1"
C:
P1.EXE
exit

*******************************************************************************************

+ Rename file names PRINCE.EXE Dosbox.exe to P1.exe PRINCE.exe respectively.
+Set compatibility of PRINCE.exe to "Windows XP/SP2" .(This is required for playing PoP1 second time and later if you use
LAUNCHER.EXE in C:\Program Files (x86)\Red Orb Entertainment\Prince of Persia CLE\launcher

6-2 Working on the folder C:\Program Files (x86)\Red Orb Entertainment\Prince of Persia CLE\Prince2
+ Copy 3 DosBox files again into the directory above.
+Make dosbox.conf file in that folder. Contents is;
[sdl]
fullscreen=true
fulldouble=false
fullfixed=false
fullresolution=desktop
output=ddraw
hwscale=1.00
autolock=true
sensitivity=100
waitonerror=true
priority=higher,normal
mapperfile=mapper.txt

[dosbox]
language=
machine=vga
captures=capture
memsize=16

[render]
frameskip=0
aspect=false
scaler=hq3x

[cpu]
core=dynamic
cycles=auto limit 60000
cycleup=0
cycledown=0

[mixer]
nosound=false
rate=44100
blocksize=2048
prebuffer=10

[midi]
mpu401=true
intelligent=true
device=default
config=

[sblaster]
type=sb16
base=220
irq=7
dma=1
hdma=5
mixer=true
oplmode=auto
oplrate=44100

[gus]
gus=true
rate=22050
base=240
irq1=5
irq2=5
dma1=3
dma2=3
ultradir=C:\ULTRASND

[speaker]
pcspeaker=true
pcrate=44100
tandyrate=22050
disney=true

[bios]

[dos]
xms=true
ems=true

[modem]
modem=false
comport=2
listenport=23

[directserial]
directserial=false
comport=1
realport=COM1
defaultbps=1200
parity=N
bytesize=8
stopbit=1

[ipx]
ipx=false

[autoexec]

cls

mount C "C:\Program Files (x86)\Red Orb Entertainment\Prince of Persia CLE\Prince2"
C:
P2.EXE
exit

*******************************************************************************************

+ Rename file names PRINCE.EXE Dosbox.exe to P2.exe PRINCE.exe respectively.
+Set compatibility of PRINCE.exe to "Windows XP/SP2" .(This is required for playing PoP2 second time and later if you use
LAUNCHER.EXE in C:\Program Files (x86)\Red Orb Entertainment\Prince of Persia CLE\launcher

7. Set the compatibility of RivenDEMO.exe and DarkDemo.exe to "WindowsXP/SP2".
8. OK ? Now make desktop shortcut to Launcher.exe in C:\Program Files (x86)\Red Orb Entertainment\Prince of Persia CLE\launcher
9. Enjoy the game in Windows10.
Andrew
Wise Scribe
Wise Scribe

Post by Andrew »

Nicely detailed instructions for getting the whole package to run under Win10. However for anyone who's just interested in the 2 classic PoP games this 536 MB collection is way overkill. Also I'd like to caution people against installing an ancient version like QuickTime 3.2 on their systems. Apple has recently killed off QuickTime for Windows (good riddance to bad rubbish IMO, although it'll still be supported on OS X). As a result critical security vulnerabilities that have been reported in 7.7.9 will remain unfixed, and I shudder to think of just how insecure 3.2 might be. If you must install QT 3.2 via this collection I'd highly recommend doing it inside a VM that's not connected to the internet.
Norbert
The Prince of Persia
The Prince of Persia

Post by Norbert »

Andrew wrote:Also I'd like to caution people against installing an ancient version like QuickTime 3.2 on their systems. Apple has recently killed off QuickTime for Windows (good riddance to bad rubbish IMO, although it'll still be supported on OS X).
US-CERT also says about QuickTime vulnerabilities that "the only mitigation available is to uninstall QuickTime for Windows".
RaymanForever2007
Sheikh
Sheikh

Andrew wrote: As a result critical security vulnerabilities that have been reported in 7.7.9 will remain unfixed, and I shudder to think of just how insecure 3.2 might be. If you must install QT 3.2 via this collection I'd highly recommend doing it inside a VM that's not connected to the internet.
Norbert wrote: US-CERT also says about QuickTime vulnerabilities that "the only mitigation available is to uninstall QuickTime for Windows".
Thank you Andrew and Norbert.

Game CD is still available from eBay;

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Prince-of-Persi ... SwLVZVmBlN

For the QuickTime normally running as process is v7.7.9 when Windows 10 launched as I checked TaskManager , I think QT3.2 is outwardly not sensed via internet, just used when RIVENDemo.exe called it's dll and qtc files ?
Andrew
Wise Scribe
Wise Scribe

Post by Andrew »

RaymanForever2007 wrote:For the QuickTime normally running as process is v7.7.9 when Windows 10 launched as I checked TaskManager , I think QT3.2 is outwardly not sensed via internet, just used when RIVENDemo.exe called it's dll and qtc files ?
I wouldn't trust QT3.2 on my net-facing system, period (nor 7.7.9 for that matter). I'm sure both versions can be exploited. Of course it is up to each person how they react to security advisories. I'm just advising caution, that's all. Better safe than sorry as they say. :)

P.S. $46.79 for PoP 1 and 2? Wow, that's crazy.
RaymanForever2007
Sheikh
Sheikh

Andrew wrote: I wouldn't trust QT3.2 on my net-facing system, period (nor 7.7.9 for that matter). I'm sure both versions can be exploited. Of course it is up to each person how they react to security advisories. I'm just advising caution, that's all. Better safe than sorry as they say. :)
I agree with you. Anyway people who will not run RivenDemo are having no use of QuickTime 3.2 , so they will not have the security issue with QuickTime even with v7.7.9 I wonder.
Andrew wrote: P.S. $46.79 for PoP 1 and 2? Wow, that's crazy.
I grabbed "distress sale" one many years ago. Lucky me.
David
The Prince of Persia
The Prince of Persia

Post by David »

RaymanForever2007 wrote:1. Installed the game in Windows98SE because the installer is 16bit of it and will not run in W10.
My guess is it's not the OS version that counts but whether the OS is 32-bit or 64-bit.
Andrew
Wise Scribe
Wise Scribe

Post by Andrew »

David wrote:
RaymanForever2007 wrote:1. Installed the game in Windows98SE because the installer is 16bit of it and will not run in W10.
My guess is it's not the OS version that counts but whether the OS is 32-bit or 64-bit.
Your guess would be correct. 64-bit Windows has never included the 16-bit NTVDM subsystem. BTW in Windows 10 32-bit NTVDM is not enabled by default. It needs to be either explicitly enabled, or the OS will ask the user whether it should be enabled the first time a 16-bit EXE is executed.
Win10_NTVDM.png
Win10_NTVDM.png (14.11 KiB) Viewed 4519 times
RaymanForever2007
Sheikh
Sheikh

David wrote: My guess is it's not the OS version that counts but whether the OS is 32-bit or 64-bit.
Andrew wrote: Your guess would be correct. 64-bit Windows has never included the 16-bit NTVDM subsystem. BTW in Windows 10 32-bit NTVDM is not enabled by default. It needs to be either explicitly enabled, or the OS will ask the user whether it should be enabled the first time a 16-bit EXE is executed.
Thank you David. Thank you Andrew.
I agree with you totally. Yes 64bit OS can not run the 16bit installer. So I should say that ;
1. Installed the game in Windows98SE because the installer is 16bit of it and will not run in W10 64bit.
RaymanForever2007
Sheikh
Sheikh

Well, playing the game in Windows 10 64bit I found that [SHIFT] key to make Prince fight against enemies but successive click of [SHIFT] key did invoke the system alert that asks "FIXED KEY function activate ?" or something like that.
Is there any measure to eliminate this alert ?
Andrew
Wise Scribe
Wise Scribe

Post by Andrew »

The Sticky Keys feature has been present since Win95. All you have to do is type "sticky keys" in the search box to be taken to Settings > Ease of Access > Keyboard, where you can turn off Sticky Keys, Toggle Keys, Filter Keys etc.
RaymanForever2007
Sheikh
Sheikh

Andrew wrote:The Sticky Keys feature has been present since Win95. All you have to do is type "sticky keys" in the search box to be taken to Settings > Ease of Access > Keyboard, where you can turn off Sticky Keys, Toggle Keys, Filter Keys etc.
Thank you Andrew. I got now make Prince fight without system's alert, but oh! he failed ..... (Level 7)

Ah, It's been years so I'm rusty.
David
The Prince of Persia
The Prince of Persia

Post by David »

RaymanForever2007 wrote:Is there any measure to eliminate this alert ?
There is also a "Settings" button in the window that pops up, which takes you to the place where you can turn it off.
salvadorc17
Calif
Calif

Post by salvadorc17 »

The normal prince of persia in Dos should work in Windows 10?, havent tested yet...