Prince of Persia Collection Limited Edition [536 MB]

Discuss PoP1 for DOS here.
RaymanForever2007
Sheikh
Sheikh

Re: Prince of Persia Collection Limited Edition [536 MB]

Post by RaymanForever2007 »

Andrew wrote:As you can probably understand, there simply aren't that many people around who're both knowledgeable about USB specs/internals and still interested in supporting a 'dead' OS. In a commercial setting a few years ago I had good results with Georg Potthast's drivers, but if you want to try a free alternative I recommend Bret Johnson's drivers which do include one for USB joysticks. Only if that doesn't work would I advise looking into DUSE and others, but be ready for a lot of teeth-gnashing and hair-pulling, especially if you're not very patient by nature! :P You might also have better luck using FreeDOS 1.1 instead of MS-DOS 6.22 (or 7.1 from Win98SE), especially if your system is a relatively modern one with lots of RAM (the former's HIMEM and EMM386 substitutes are naturally much better at dealing with newer hardware). However if you have a purpose-built old school gaming PC with legacy hardware then it's probably best to stick to MS-DOS for maximum compatibility.
Thank you for this information, Andrew. I appreciate this.
Though as David told me, DosBox v0.60 can run Pop through it in W98 with USB joystick control capability, I am still interested in playing the game in MS-DOS mode.
So I will try these drivers for DOS. Please give me some time for testing them.

EDIT:
Yes I succeeded to run PoP in MS-DOS mode using with Bret Johnson's drivers.
Steps in MS-DOS mode are ;
1. in USBDOS archive , ran usbuhci.com and usbjstik.com
2. in Joykey200 archive, ran thrust.com for confirming USB Joystick detected, and joykeys.com for calibration,
3. Then \Prince1\Prince.exe to start the game.

Unfortunately, int29.com did not work effectively and left showing joystick x and y value and button number pushed in the bottom of the screen where prince's life gage or time left to save the princess shall be displayed.
And no sounds gotten during the play for this time no sound drivers gotten for MS-DOS !
If you have any clue to solve these problems, it would be very much appreciated.
David
The Prince of Persia
The Prince of Persia

Post by David »

RaymanForever2007 wrote: In case of using >nul, bottom of the game screen shows joystick button number and position instead of Prince life or time left.
DosBox v0.60 does not support joystick options in dosbox.conf, so I can't test this without a real joystick.
RaymanForever2007
Sheikh
Sheikh

David wrote: DosBox v0.60 does not support joystick options in dosbox.conf, so I can't test this without a real joystick.
I think I got what is "real joystick" for DOS.
Maybe this, working without any special driver for it is IBM compatible analog joystick and OS itself can already handle it down after Windows 98.
http://nerdlypleasures.blogspot.jp/2012 ... ticks.html

The one for connecting to 15-pin D-sub, IBM compatible analog joystick ?
David
The Prince of Persia
The Prince of Persia

Post by David »

Yes, that "2. IBM Gameport Interface" seems to be what we're looking for.
"I/O 201" -- check!
"The length of time measured reflects the position of the joystick." -- check!
RaymanForever2007
Sheikh
Sheikh

David wrote:Yes, that "2. IBM Gameport Interface" seems to be what we're looking for.
"I/O 201" -- check!
"The length of time measured reflects the position of the joystick." -- check!
I found the interface circuit needed to use the analog joystick in DOS ;
http://www.epanorama.net/documents/joys ... stick.html

With Kind of DO IT YOURSELF work and junk parts potentiometers and so on, it can be made ?
Is there any such junk shop to come by parts needed ? Network shop is good if any.
Oh I need a garage for working, it will be a fun.
Andrew
Wise Scribe
Wise Scribe

Post by Andrew »

RaymanForever2007 wrote:And no sounds gotten during the play for this time no sound drivers gotten for MS-DOS !
If you have any clue to solve these problems, it would be very much appreciated.
You'll have to locate real-mode DOS drivers for your sound card of course. If you have an integrated audio chip on the motherboard then you're most likely out of luck (never seen DOS drivers for those except for a few DOS programs that natively support some chipsets).
RaymanForever2007
Sheikh
Sheikh

Andrew wrote: You'll have to locate real-mode DOS drivers for your sound card of course. If you have an integrated audio chip on the motherboard then you're most likely out of luck (never seen DOS drivers for those except for a few DOS programs that natively support some chipsets).
Thank you Andrew. I changed my mind to try PoP sound with its setup.exe. Running setup.exe in MS-DOS mode, I set Sound Device and Music Synthesizer to "Standard PC Internal Speaker" and GOT SOUND AND BACKGROUND MUSIC.
Sound Blaster selection gave no luck.
IBM ThinkPad A20m seems not having SB16 driver in its MS-DOS mode. Poor sound effect quality comparing to Sound Blaster selection, but no complain for it is MS-DOS!
And with Bret Johnson's drivers , prince >nul made eliminating USB joystick axis displayed all over the screen ! Good.
No need to find real joystick for MS-DOS. I feel that I had jumped to conclusions !!

BTW, I found SNDDRVRS folder under Prince1 containing DSB_PRO.DRV MSB_PRO.DRV and PRESET33.DEF files.
SNDDRVRS seems to be sound driver, and files are useless in MS-DOS mode when setup.exe selected this folder showing Sound Blaster Pro and Other Drivers after selecting "Other Drivers", requested MIDI drivers path , oh my!
I could not imagine what is MIDI driver in MS-DOS.

EDIT:

Yes, I got sound solution in mS-DOS mode.
The PC IBM ThinkPad A20m released in the year 2002 uses Crystal SoundFusion Audio and hard to find the driver for MS-DOS.
But the wise guys has the information and clue to make the sound card effective in MS-DOS mode !!

Code: Select all

http://www.flaterco.com/kb/audio/PCI/
I downloaded the file PV2885.zip from the link to Cirrus ;

http://www.cirrus.com/en/support/drivers/audio/OS1.html
And unarchived to Windoed98SE PC, ThinkPad A20m, then ran setup.exe from W98 to install Crystal SoundFusion audio driver.
The new driver was installed into c:Windows\CWCDATA
Rebooting PC gave no problem for the sound in Windows98SE. OK OK. This file worked in W98 ThinkPad A20m.

Then editing pif file MS-DOS.pif to add a line to AUTOEXEC.BAT ;
LH C:\WINDOWS\CWCDATA\CWCDOS.EXE
After quitting to MS-DOS mode doubleclicking MS-DOS.pif, starting PoP GOT THE CLEAR SOUND same as in W98 !

But after A key pushed, the start screen showed Prince jumped down to the floor, then Prince freezed !!
No move control available, but only ENTER key for showing time left Ctrl+K for keyboard mode shown.
This sound file must be the source of this Prince freeze.
Oh , I finally got the clear sound in MS-DOS, but with this no move control available !
Worse more, in Windows 98SE , system sound got turned down, I had to set the volume maximum for my convenience that was set level 4 or 5 before this driver was installed normaly (maximum is level 14) .
Andrew
Wise Scribe
Wise Scribe

Post by Andrew »

RaymanForever2007 wrote:BTW, I found SNDDRVRS folder under Prince1 containing DSB_PRO.DRV MSB_PRO.DRV and PRESET33.DEF files.
SNDDRVRS seems to be sound driver, and files are useless in MS-DOS mode when setup.exe selected this folder showing Sound Blaster Pro and Other Drivers after selecting "Other Drivers", requested MIDI drivers path , oh my!

I could not imagine what is MIDI driver in MS-DOS.
As you found later, those files only enable the game to interface with various sound cards, but for them to work the sound card's own driver naturally needs to be loaded first. Regarding the MIDI driver, before MIDI synthesis chips became part of sound cards, one had to connect add-on MIDI daughter-boards or use an interface such as MPU-401 to connect to external MIDI devices such as the Roland MT-32 (well-known for its pro audio quality, and you can actually use unofficial DOSBox builds to hear how it sounded - see these threads). Anyway, the MIDI drivers are of course meant for such MIDI devices.
RaymanForever2007 wrote:Yes, I got sound solution in mS-DOS mode.
The PC IBM ThinkPad A20m released in the year 2002 uses Crystal SoundFusion Audio and hard to find the driver for MS-DOS.
But the wise guys has the information and clue to make the sound card effective in MS-DOS mode !!

http://www.flaterco.com/kb/audio/PCI/
Good find!
RaymanForever2007 wrote:After quitting to MS-DOS mode doubleclicking MS-DOS.pif, starting PoP GOT THE CLEAR SOUND same as in W98 !

But after A key pushed, the start screen showed Prince jumped down to the floor, then Prince freezed !!
No move control available, but only ENTER key for showing time left Ctrl+K for keyboard mode shown.
This sound file must be the source of this Prince freeze.
Oh , I finally got the clear sound in MS-DOS, but with this no move control available !
Getting DOS to cooperate with temperamental drivers etc. was always something that resulted in teeth-gnashing and hair-pulling, as I mentioned above. :) The freeze sounds very much like something that would be either RAM (XMS) or IRQ related, but could also be the result of other things such as incorrect sample rate selection etc. Without an actual hands-on session with the hardware concerned it's very difficult to know the precise cause of the issue. All I can suggest to you is to keep at it, read up and try various things; that is of course if you're really interested in getting it to work. Otherwise the crappy but dependable PC speaker is always there as a fallback option!
RaymanForever2007
Sheikh
Sheikh

Thanks Andrew for above.
Since that, I was using DosBox for playing PoP in Wondows 10, but hard time came during "Redstone1" update for W10, RedOrb laucher could not start Pop1 nor Pop2 from its starting screen.
No, another teeth-gnashing issue in W10 !
But now Microsoft made newest update "Redstone2" in this middle of June, and IT MADE REDORB launcher effective to launch Pop1 and Pop2 again !!
Oh fun time back to W10. Hope MS would not do their IMPROVEMENT more worse.
Norbert
The Prince of Persia
The Prince of Persia

Post by Norbert »

I haven't read this entire thread, so maybe someone mentioned it already, but I think this CD version perhaps included an officially cracked 1.4. According to someone in this podcast, they stripped out the copy protection because they thought CDs wouldn't get copied anyway. Maybe the cracked version is in Andrew's "The Ultimate Collection" (linked in his signature), which changes at 0x4991 39 46 06 -> 09 ED 90 and at 0x4AAA 39 46 06 -> 09 ED 90.
Nikonov_94
Efendi
Efendi

Post by Nikonov_94 »

Thanks for the thread and the links, it's a gold mine when you're in the middle of a nostalgia surge! Guess who isn't getting anything done tonight?