Guide to Prince of Persia tricks (Large Topic)

Discuss PoP1 for DOS here.
AuraDragon
Sultan
Sultan

Guide to Prince of Persia tricks (Large Topic)

Post by AuraDragon »

This was a guide I posted back on Popuw, now not an exact carbon replica, it should be similar enough for people to get the idea of how to accomplish these tricks. All trick names were thought up at the time of posting, so they won't resemble the original names.

Added YouTube videos for demonstration.
For practice and usage of these tricks, try the Tricks Bootcamp by me or Repitition of Time by KingOfPersia.
Tricks are color coded to show difficulty divided by how common it is, follow the rainbow.

Half Jump - "Step up to the edge of a one tile wide gap, and run off the edge while holding the Shift Button as you begin to fall, you will grasp the other edge. This is helpful to avoid spikes on the side of a short gap."

Gate Bypass - "Climb through a gate with only a single tile above it, and a gap to the right of that tile; This can be done by jumping up through it from the left or hanging down and dropping through it from the right. Can only be done if the level is specifically setup for the player to do such a trick."

Two Tile Longjump - "Stand on the front edge of a two tile stretch with no wall on the backside, facing the direction you are going to jump, turn around, run, and quickly turn around before the back edge and lunge the moment you can, you will jump 3 tiles far. This is handy and should be learned quickly, as many levelsets have usage for this without even knowing it."

Ledge Swing - "Hanging from a ledge with another ledge two blocks down and one block left, simply continue to swing until the Prince let's go by himself, he will be propelled forwards and if you continue to hold Shift he will grab on to the next ledge. I use this alot in my own personal levelsets, and it is hard to notice if you place the starting ledge in the middle of the room."

Gliding Double Jump - "This is a more complicated trick, you need a perfect setup to do this, so check the illustration* below for details. Standing one knot (push against the wall when against the wall to do this) in from against the backwall of the starting tile, face the two loose tiles hoving in the air, and jump forwards, landing on the first tile but gliding onto the second tile, continue holding up and forwards to spring off the second tile as it falls."

Dead Weight - "Not really a trick, but a handy feature. Simply lure a guard on to a switch and then kill him by the usual means (sword, stabby), his corpse will hold down the switch! This can make or break puzzle solutions."

Guard Manipulation - "This is probably the most AI used in Prince of Persia. You can sneak around guards by avoiding their line of sight, and by controling their attention with sound to sneak up on guards, in the case of Level 1 where you start with no sword, this is a very valuable trick."

Sword Warp - "Ever notice how your character teleports a little when picking up items? You can exploit this by standing between a Sword and a Gate (must be completely beside eachother) and picking up the sword while facing away from the gate, you will appear on the other side of the Gate."

Longstep Leap - "From the looks of Eagle's video, this trick requires a ledge above and to the left of the tile you are going to step over. Drop down from the ledge of the tile on the right side, and then turn around and jump upwards to position yourself correctly(?), then simply start running right, immediately turn back while running and mash up to spring away from the said tile. I've never done this trick so I may need to rewrite this if I explained it wrong."

More to come, I just need to figure out how to do them again, since I kinda forgot over the last years since I've played Prince of Persia! >_<

If you or somebody you know has tricks not listed on this guide, drop us a post at 1-800-PRINCED!
Last edited by AuraDragon on November 17th, 2009, 9:30 pm, edited 8 times in total.
I post on the forum at weird times of the day
Tristan
Wise Scribe
Wise Scribe

Re: Guide to Prince of Persia tricks

Post by Tristan »

funny olnly the gate bypass i know and work can you not upload a vid on youtube ?
AuraDragon
Sultan
Sultan

Re: Guide to Prince of Persia tricks (Large Topic)

Post by AuraDragon »

Sure, I'll add youtube videos, plus a link back to this site to perhaps bring people here. :roll:
Tristan
Wise Scribe
Wise Scribe

Post by Tristan »

can you post the linksof your vids ?
AuraDragon
Sultan
Sultan

Post by AuraDragon »

I feel so lonely here, nobody but me and tristan are daily visiters. :(
Eagle-Head Priest 97
Wise Scribe
Wise Scribe

Post by Eagle-Head Priest 97 »

I visit! :lol: I want to see if there are any I haven't seen yet.
Former Member of popuw.com/forum
AuraDragon
Sultan
Sultan

Post by AuraDragon »

Repitition of Time has alot of tricks, and Moscow Tracer knows alot as well. >_> Maybe I'll investigate RoT and get Moscow Tracer over here to give insight.
Eagle-Head Priest 97
Wise Scribe
Wise Scribe

The Repitition of Time is unbelievable. It's impossibly hard, yet has amazing things in it, such as giant potion bottles or jaffar pillars that come to life. Btw, how did you like my levels?
mk1995
The Prince of Persia
The Prince of Persia

Post by mk1995 »

I like this topic. It deserves to be stickied.

Keep the tricks a-coming, will ya. ;)
Just to make something clear: I will not reply to daft PMs like "Where can I find X?" or "Can you give me a link to Y?". Most of your questions are likely answerable if only you took your bloody time to look through these forums and use Google if all else fails. Sheesh...
John Wain
Vizier
Vizier

Post by John Wain »

Eagle-Head Priest 97 wrote:The Repitition of Time is unbelievable. It's impossibly hard, yet has amazing things in it, such as giant potion bottles or jaffar pillars that come to life. Btw, how did you like my levels?
I've watched some walkthroughs for the Repetition of Time, and I can see why people like it: it's very innovative in terms of what I've seen done in mods of PoP. But on the other hand, since the original PoP was too hard for me, this one will be downright impossible. I believe, though, that Jordan Mechner is proud of what his game has become when he sees mods such as this one.

I also like the tricks shown here. And don't feel lonely, AuraDragon, I've been around this topic from the very beginning, waiting to see spectacular tricks. Logically I knew none of them before - that's just me...
Eagle-Head Priest 97
Wise Scribe
Wise Scribe

On level 4 of my new mod, I put in a trick I discovered and it involves executing a running jump while simultaniously stepping completely over a whole tile without touching it, except before the running jump:
Yeah, I'll make a video of it. It's a bit complicated, but the single floor on the top floor is manditory.

EDIT: Here's that video:
Last edited by Eagle-Head Priest 97 on November 17th, 2009, 4:16 am, edited 3 times in total.
AuraDragon
Sultan
Sultan

Post by AuraDragon »

Wow, neat trick. I think I'm going to need to mess around with triggers and loose tiles more often. >_< Everyone is getting ahead of me in trick discoveries.

You need to wrap the oMoB-4rNj2g&fmt part in youtube to get it to show on the forum.
Eagle-Head Priest 97
Wise Scribe
Wise Scribe

Ok cool, thanks. feel free to put everything I wrote on the topic post.
mk1995
The Prince of Persia
The Prince of Persia

Post by mk1995 »

AuraDragon wrote:Tricks are color coded to show difficulty [...], follow the rainbow.
Sure thing, but from what I see, green is easy and red is hard. Actual rainbow order is as follows: Red, orange, yellow, green, blue, indigo, violet.
Just to make something clear: I will not reply to daft PMs like "Where can I find X?" or "Can you give me a link to Y?". Most of your questions are likely answerable if only you took your bloody time to look through these forums and use Google if all else fails. Sheesh...
John Wain
Vizier
Vizier

Post by John Wain »

AuraDragon, why are your videos wrapped in [url] instead of [youtube]? The videos can't be seen any more.