Guide to Prince of Persia tricks (Large Topic)

Discuss PoP1 for DOS here.
David
The Prince of Persia
The Prince of Persia

Re: Guide to Prince of Persia tricks (Large Topic)

Post by David »

Just step off the ledge at the bottom of the first room.
It's the same thing that can happen on level 10 of Micro Palace.
Zaknafein
Sheikh
Sheikh

Post by Zaknafein »

Oh... I thought i found a new trick :(
By the way, is there any way to find if any PoP1 level is doable? Maybe it's NP :?:
Norbert
The Prince of Persia
The Prince of Persia

Post by Norbert »

Zaknafein wrote:Oh... I thought i found a new trick :(
You sort of did. To my knowledge, this trick has only been shown once, namely by yaqxsw, here (what David was referring to), but hasn't been specifically acknowledged as a separate trick yet.
I tried various ways of 'just stepping off the ledge', but cannot replicate it. Please enlighten me/us. :)

[Edit: Found it. You go to the edge, do the regular left-right thing to make a running jump off the platform, but start running (press up) just a tad too late.]
Zaknafein
Sheikh
Sheikh

Post by Zaknafein »

It can only be used with broken room links, but i'm confused. You can teleport in the room above or under, and a little left or right dependly on how you make the trick and how the broken room links are set.
David
The Prince of Persia
The Prince of Persia

Post by David »

Norbert wrote: I tried various ways of 'just stepping off the ledge', but cannot replicate it. Please enlighten me/us. :)
Go to the ledge in the bottom row, and press shift-right until the kid steps off.

By the way, Apoplexy recognizes this level as having no broken room links. ("R" shows the regular room links screen, not the broken.)

I found out that the minimal required links are:
room 1: left=2, down=2
room 2: down=1 -- actually this can point to any room, and kid will fall into that room.
And you also need the wall in room 2, top row, second tile from right. (What counts is its place relative to the edge where you step off.)
Norbert
The Prince of Persia
The Prince of Persia

Post by Norbert »

David wrote:Go to the ledge in the bottom row, and press shift-right until the kid steps off.
Ah, yes, that also works.
David wrote:By the way, Apoplexy recognizes this level as having no broken room links. ("R" shows the regular room links screen, not the broken.)
True, apoplexy's broken room detection (the BrokenRoomLinks() function) isn't perfect.
I've also noticed that. It's on my TODO list of things to do one day.
Zaknafein
Sheikh
Sheikh

Post by Zaknafein »

David wrote: I found out that the minimal required links are:
room 1: left=2, down=2
room 2: down=1 -- actually this can point to any room, and kid will fall into that room.
And you also need the wall in room 2, top row, second tile from right. (What counts is its place relative to the edge where you step off.)
The minimal links depends on the room, sometimes is left, sometimes is right in room 1.
I made a variant of that trick. There are some secret rooms you can find with that trick, in diferent ways. You can also change the tile that the kid falls with links.
Attachments
LEVELS.DAT
(36.16 KiB) Downloaded 51 times
Zaknafein
Sheikh
Sheikh

Post by Zaknafein »

Finally I found all the 4 secret paths you can make with the broken room links trick.
In lvl 1 are 6 obtainable big potions. The level is also doable.
Attachments
LEVELS.DAT
(36.16 KiB) Downloaded 49 times
David
The Prince of Persia
The Prince of Persia

Post by David »

With the help of my port/conversion, I think I found out what is happening here.
In xpos_in_curr_room() (seg004.c), the game checks (among others) if the kid is bumping into something that is in the room left from the shown room.
If this is the case, then the game adjusts the x-coordinate of the wall accordingly (and the after-bump x-coordinate of the kid).
Now, if the room below is the same as the room left (as on your level), and the kid is leaving the current room down, then this adjusting is an error.
(By the way, this is not the only place where the game assumes regular room-linking: viewtopic.php?p=13455#p13455 )

Adjusting may cause integer overflow, in this case the kid will appear in the room to the right.
(Similarly to this: viewtopic.php?p=13500#p13500)
Norbert
The Prince of Persia
The Prince of Persia

Post by Norbert »

Norbert wrote:Have these been mentioned in this thread (and on popot.org) yet?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mKdEeccK08c#t=8
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ng_4W_t8IpE#t=20

They are similar to ticks 13 and 36, but not quite the same.
I've added them to popot.org. Here are their videos:

Khushal64n6
Calif
Calif

Post by Khushal64n6 »

This Trick i Discover while i am playing Trick of Tiles Level 13 (Princess Level)

You loose 2x HP but you survive :)
Norbert
The Prince of Persia
The Prince of Persia

Post by Norbert »

Khushal64n6 wrote:This Trick i Discover while i am playing Trick of Tiles Level 13 (Princess Level)
You loose 2x HP but you survive :)
Ah, so that's how it's done. :)

I've also added it to popot.org as trick 87. It's slightly unfortunate that popot.org's 87 tricks have numbering different from Khushal64n6's 181 tricks. Khushal64n6 started numbering them one month before I did, so I guess 'blame' for this would be on me. However, in my opinion Khushal64n6 also has 87 tricks and the others are either duplicates or too similar for me to list separately, so I will keep my own numbering at popot.org. I don't think this will cause any problems, since we usually link to videos when we mention numbers.
Khushal64n6
Calif
Calif

Post by Khushal64n6 »

I have Created two Playlist Prince of Persia 1 - Complete Tricks and Prince of Persia 1 - Norbert Tricks
In Complete Tricks there are total tricks from my uploads and in Norbert Trick there are your's tricks from popot
It's slightly unfortunate that popot.org's 87 tricks have numbering different from Khushal64n6's 181 tricks.
I have also added Number notes same as popot number in your playlist you can see that carefully
I think that would be helpful :) people actually likes your tricks ;) too many views of your playlist :)
Norbert
The Prince of Persia
The Prince of Persia

Post by Norbert »

Khushal64n6, thanks for your efforts.

Maybe change "Norbert" to "popot.org", since a lot of those tricks were created by yaqxsw, for example. ;)