Issue Loading PoP1 via Basilisk II

Prince of Persia related subjects that do not have their own boards.
jjjjjjjjeremy
Scholar Scribe
Scholar Scribe

Issue Loading PoP1 via Basilisk II

Post by jjjjjjjjeremy »

I've finished setting up Basilisk II and it seems to be working. I've downloaded the 2 PoP1 files from Popot.org (http://www.popot.org/get_the_games.php?game=1_Mac)

When I try opening them within Basilisk I get an error message saying that the document cannot be opened because the application program that created it could not be found. I imagine I'm missing something pretty basic here.

Any help would be massively appreciated.

Thanks!
Attachments
Screen shot 2017-02-13 at 4.09.25 PM.png
Norbert
The Prince of Persia
The Prince of Persia

Re: Issue Loading PoP1 via Basilisk II

Post by Norbert »

jjjjjjjjeremy wrote:When I try opening them within Basilisk I get an error message [...]
Assuming there's an OS X version of BasiliskIIGUI, you need to go to its Volumes tab to add ("Add...") the HFS files.

But you'll need more.
You also need the System 7 boot disk and a ROM file.
Page 3 of this PDF explains where to get those. [Edit: Newer PDF here.]
And page 5 of that PDF explains how to add all the files to Basilisk II.
It's a document for GNU/Linux users, but most of this information also applies to OS X.
jjjjjjjjeremy
Scholar Scribe
Scholar Scribe

Post by jjjjjjjjeremy »

Ok, I've added those HFS files and now the proper PoP icon shows up. But now I've hit the color/display snag referenced in the Appendix of the PDF.

Looking through the suggested options, I'm not sure I understand what I'm meant to do. Where are the suggested edits supposed to be made?

Thanks!
Attachments
Screen shot 2017-02-13 at 5.13.57 PM.png
Norbert
The Prince of Persia
The Prince of Persia

Post by Norbert »

jjjjjjjjeremy wrote:Where are the suggested edits supposed to be made?
These alternative solutions cannot be used on OS X.
An alternative solution for OS X would entail somehow changing the display to 8-bit mode.

The regular solution is to obtain a Basilisk II that was compiled for OS X from this code.
We do have some OS X users on the forum who may be able to help you with this, such as StaticReturn and poirot.
Because if it's compiled from that code, then the displaycolordepth setting mentioned on page 5 of the PDF is available.