Looking for Volunteers

Prince of Persia related subjects that do not have their own boards.
atrueprincefanfrom18
Site Shah
Site Shah

Re: Looking for Volunteers

Post by atrueprincefanfrom18 »

Norbert wrote: June 5th, 2020, 10:37 am Is anyone willing to keep the modding community Facebook page (and perhaps Twitter feed) up-to-date?
I'm interested... Please let me know how to get started. :)
Love to create new MODS :)

My complete list of mods until now!

My channel. Do consider subscribing it! :)
Norbert
The Prince of Persia
The Prince of Persia

Post by Norbert »

atrueprincefanfrom18 wrote: June 5th, 2020, 2:48 pm
Norbert wrote: June 5th, 2020, 10:37 am Is anyone willing to keep the modding community Facebook page (and perhaps Twitter feed) up-to-date?
I'm interested... Please let me know how to get started. :)
Sure.
If nobody objects, you could point poirot (ecalot TA princed TOD org) to this post.
He has to agree with me giving you the Facebook login information.
(It's attached to his gmail.com email address.)
And then you could post PoP (modding) news to Facebook whenever you think there is news.
atrueprincefanfrom18
Site Shah
Site Shah

Norbert wrote: June 6th, 2020, 1:12 pm If nobody objects, you could point poirot (ecalot TA princed TOD org) to this post.
I sent him e-m_a_i_l and asked to look at the post above this.
Norbert wrote: June 6th, 2020, 1:12 pm And then you could post PoP (modding) news to Facebook whenever you think there is news.
Yup, would do :)

poirot
Developer
Developer

Post by poirot »

+1 let's do this!
Falcury
Calif
Calif

Post by Falcury »

atrueprincefanfrom18 wrote: June 5th, 2020, 2:48 pm I'm interested... Please let me know how to get started. :)
Great that you want to help! Thanks :)
Norbert
The Prince of Persia
The Prince of Persia

Post by Norbert »

I've PM'ed atrueprincefanfrom18 the Facebook login credentials.
atrueprincefanfrom18
Site Shah
Site Shah

Falcury wrote: June 7th, 2020, 2:05 pm Great that you want to help! Thanks :)
No worries! :)
Norbert wrote: June 7th, 2020, 2:34 pm I've PM'ed atrueprincefanfrom18 the Facebook login credentials.
Thanks, I haven't verified the credentials, but I will log into and do the work whenever there is any news.

Falcury
Calif
Calif

Post by Falcury »

atrueprincefanfrom18 has offered to help out with keeping the forum running smoothly, deleting spam accounts, and administering the forum in general. I would like to ask if anyone has any objections to adding him as an admin. I think it's a good idea. I think it would be good to have another person on the team, also because I am less active on the forum lately, which means that I am slower to respond to ongoing issues.
I have also sent an e-mail to poirot to ask him for his opinion.
Norbert
The Prince of Persia
The Prince of Persia

Post by Norbert »

Falcury wrote: January 4th, 2021, 5:09 pmatrueprincefanfrom18 has offered to help out with keeping the forum running smoothly, deleting spam accounts, and administering the forum in general. I would like to ask if anyone has any objections to adding him as an admin. I think it's a good idea. I think it would be good to have another person on the team, also because I am less active on the forum lately, which means that I am slower to respond to ongoing issues.
I have also sent an e-mail to poirot to ask him for his opinion.
I'm wondering if you've thought about making him moderator instead of administrator. What I mean is, is there a specific reason that making him an administrator would be better than making him a moderator, or vice versa? I have no objection to either, by the way. His signature says he needs a break from the forum though, and this kind of sounds like the opposite of that. ;)
atrueprincefanfrom18
Site Shah
Site Shah

Norbert wrote: January 4th, 2021, 5:48 pmHis signature says he needs a break from the forum though, and this kind of sounds like the opposite of that. ;)
That was true, I forgot to remove the text from signature, my break is over! :lol:
And yes, I don't mind being an admin or moderator or both, anything works for me.

Falcury
Calif
Calif

Post by Falcury »

Norbert wrote: January 4th, 2021, 5:48 pm I'm wondering if you've thought about making him moderator instead of administrator. What I mean is, is there a specific reason that making him an administrator would be better than making him a moderator, or vice versa?
One reason that came to mind is that one needs administrator access to completely delete spammer accounts.
But mainly my thinking was, given that atrueprincefanfrom18 had indicated to me that he wants to help administer the forum including handling technical aspects, and given that he is already doing a good job with the social media feeds, then maybe the best option is to just give him the tools he needs in order to contribute in the way he wants (i.e. both moderator and administrator).
But I would only proceed if other people also agree that this is the best thing to do.
Norbert
The Prince of Persia
The Prince of Persia

Post by Norbert »

Falcury wrote: January 4th, 2021, 6:53 pm[...], and given that he is already doing a good job with the social media feeds, [...]
I'm going to guess this is an assumption? I'm not saying I fully disagree with you; just that I'm not sure if you're actually following any of these feeds. The Twitter feed that I'm still in control of has been stuck at September 17. The Instagram account he created still has just one post. On Facebook it ended October 15, with no mentions of Mysterious Doom, new popot.org features (e.g. subscribing to new mods), the discovery of the 1990 Apple II mod PoP: Special Edition, etc. We (he and I) are not exactly engaging our followers on social media... In all these months, we've been discussing various things on this forum that could've also interested these followers.

Is the only option that phpBB moderators have when they run into a spammer to clean up after them? That seems strange, and perhaps worthy of a bug report (feature request). Is there really no option to temporarily disallow a user from posting until an administrator has time to judge the situation? Anyway, I trust atrueprince with administration rights. If someone - Falcury, currently, right? - keeps making backups now and then, then there shouldn't be a problem even if someone (whoever) accidentally presses a wrong button somewhere.
atrueprincefanfrom18
Site Shah
Site Shah

Norbert wrote: January 4th, 2021, 9:42 pm The Instagram account he created still has just one post.
I don't really know what to post on it, I've been asking here, but nobody seem to have any idea on posting. I just created an account, for the sake of creating it.
Norbert wrote: January 4th, 2021, 9:42 pm On Facebook it ended October 15
I agree it's my fault, I'll post all the updates now.
Norbert wrote: January 4th, 2021, 9:42 pm In all these months, we've been discussing various things on this forum that could've also interested these followers.
For example?
Norbert wrote: January 4th, 2021, 9:42 pm the discovery of the 1990 Apple II mod PoP: Special Edition
I didn't know about it at all. What's this?

Norbert
The Prince of Persia
The Prince of Persia

Post by Norbert »

Oh, no worries. :)
That Apple II mod was mentioned fairly recently by David.
David
The Prince of Persia
The Prince of Persia

Post by David »

Falcury wrote: January 4th, 2021, 6:53 pm One reason that came to mind is that one needs administrator access to completely delete spammer accounts.
Norbert wrote: January 4th, 2021, 9:42 pm Is the only option that phpBB moderators have when they run into a spammer to clean up after them? That seems strange, and perhaps worthy of a bug report (feature request). Is there really no option to temporarily disallow a user from posting until an administrator has time to judge the situation?
Moderators can ban users temporarily or permanently.
Banned users can't post while the ban is in effect.

In the past, when I (as a moderator) found spam, I banned the posting account permanently, then moved all their spam posts to the trash.
After that, Falcury (as an admin) usually deleted the banned account (which also deleted its posts).

The admin access is needed only for deleting the account.
This deleting can be done at any later time, and it's not strictly necessary, since a banned user can't post anyway.
Why were we deleting them, then?
Maybe because spammers can put spam into their profile as well? (See viewtopic.php?p=22107#p22107 and viewtopic.php?p=22508#p22508)