Just browsing some old posts in the forum...

Prince of Persia related subjects that do not have their own boards.
David
The Prince of Persia
The Prince of Persia

Just browsing some old posts in the forum...

Post by David »

I was browsing the old posts in the forum, and I found some interesting/funny ones:
viewtopic.php?p=4453#p4453 -- the "piece of paper"
viewtopic.php?p=5250#p5250 -- locked but active
viewtopic.php?p=5661#p5661 -- avatars
viewtopic.php?p=5638#p5638 -- still avatars (and signatures)
viewtopic.php?p=6135#p6135 -- TYPO
viewtopic.php?p=4542#p4542 -- the long story of why Butcher was banned
viewtopic.php?p=5221#p5221 -- being young (multiple posts scattered on the page)

Did you notice that most of these were made by people who did not login for ages? *sigh*
Norbert
The Prince of Persia
The Prince of Persia

Re: Just browsing some old posts in the forum...

Post by Norbert »

David wrote:Did you notice that most of these were made by people who did not login for ages? *sigh*
Maybe there have always been about ten or so active users at any given time. These six or so folks that commented there (musicmaker, mk1995, tristan1993, AuraDragon, Eagle-Head Priest 97, Veke) may no longer be around, but maybe six or so of the people who are around now were not around then. It has always been fairly quiet on this forum, but every time I think 'hm, nothing new for a while' then something new appears. You may be the oldest forum member who's still around. (It seems poirot only returned for a moment; jalal and _Zaphod_ pop in to say hi now and then.)
Andrew
Wise Scribe
Wise Scribe

Post by Andrew »

David wrote:Did you notice that most of these were made by people who did not login for ages? *sigh*
Waxing nostalgic, I see. (I'm sure you don't miss Gustavo/Butcher though. :))

My first post here dates back to early 2006, a fair while before you registered here at the end of 2008 (although like me you may have created an account earlier as well). Damn, 10 long years. Now that just makes me feel old...

jalal's been a member since 2005 and _Zaphod_ since 2006, and they've both at least logged in this year (the former's even posted). tacosalad from 2005 logged in a year ago. The rest of the regulars are all long gone. Jenny IIRC was briefly in a band and then was teaching music in a school. Maurice, no clue. Levi (registered mid-2009) of course posted after ages at the end of last year but that was just a brief visit. John Wain (registered a few days after you at the end of 2008) and I had some really fun non-PoP discussions back in the day on PoPUW and while apparently he did log in here last year, he hasn't posted for more than 5 years. Shattered (registered beginning of 2010) dropped in once and posted recently after a couple of years. That's about it I suppose. The PoP community has never really been huge anyway, although at one point PoPUW's forum was attracting a fair number of active members daily. After its abrupt closure things were never quite the same.

Anyway, let's look to the future now. If those long-lost members ever do visit this place I'm sure they'll all be extremely appreciative of developments such as SDLPoP, and it might perhaps even rekindle their interest in the game. Without what you've accomplished David I'm pretty sure we'd be hearing mostly crickets here.
Norbert
The Prince of Persia
The Prince of Persia

Post by Norbert »

Some years you mention don't match
memberlist.php?mode=&sk=c&sd=a#memberlist
and
search.php?st=0&sk=t&sd=d&sr=posts&auth ... &start=270

I guess maybe there was some kind of reset around 2009, that a database was (re-)imported or something.
Andrew
Wise Scribe
Wise Scribe

Post by Andrew »

2009 or probably earlier. IIRC there was some database juggling and threads from an older version of the forum were merged. My initial posts from 2006 (same thread I posted to in 2009 once I returned after PoPUW's demise) are attributed to the same user name, but the user name does not link to a member profile and thus doesn't show up in the member list. Something got messed up there for sure, but poirot wasn't around to fix it and I didn't care about those old posts either. I also remember I'd started at least a couple more threads in 2006, but those got wiped out somewhere along the way, either during the same DB reshuffle or perhaps at a later date when mk, Butcher and others had admin rights.
David
The Prince of Persia
The Prince of Persia

Post by David »

Andrew wrote:My initial posts from 2006 [...] are attributed to the same user name, but the user name does not link to a member profile and thus doesn't show up in the member list.
For example this? viewtopic.php?p=2631#p2631

The search finds them for me: search.php?st=0&sk=t&sd=d&sr=posts&auth ... &start=270
Note that this URL contains "author=Andrew" while searching from the profile contains "author_id=1599".
Andrew
Wise Scribe
Wise Scribe

Post by Andrew »

Yes. As I briefly mentioned above, that was the same thread that Michael necro-posted to by mistake, and the consequent email notification brought me back here after PoPUW's forum went down.
David
The Prince of Persia
The Prince of Persia

Post by David »

Other old funny posts:
viewtopic.php?p=7880#p7880 -- making hard levels
viewtopic.php?p=9930#p9930 -- unwanted screenshots