Has anybody read the graphic novel?

Prince of Persia related subjects that do not have their own boards.
TehFlamez
Sheikh
Sheikh

Has anybody read the graphic novel?

Post by TehFlamez »

If anyone here has, how is it? I'm really into buying it; would love some assistance!

One thing though, some say it actually has mature content, I mean it's Jordan Mechner. And words like "mature" don't really fit in too well with him.
(lol Jordan Mature Mechner)
Give me the Dagger!
Andrew
Wise Scribe
Wise Scribe

Re: Has anybody read the graphic novel?

Post by Andrew »

I own it so here's a mini-review of sorts...

First of all, the story was written by some A.B. Sina guy whom I'd never heard of previously. Mechner okayed the script and supervised the art, but beyond that I don't know how much input he had, if any. Next, don't expect the graphic novel to depict the story of any of the games in the franchise and you won't be too disappointed.

As for the writing itself, Sina's tried to juxtapose two timelines, but it can get a bit confusing at times (a situation not helped by the similarity in character design between Guiv from the 9th century and Ferdos from the 13th). This I think is the biggest issue with the book, especially since the confusing intertwining storylines have been commented upon by most people who've read my copy. A careful reading, especially if you pay attention to things like the color palette which is subtly different for the two characters/timelines, will help; however I believe they could have done a better job telling the story so it's a bit disappointing. It is a breezy read though.

The art and coloring are ok, even great in places, but overall wouldn't say it's anything amazing.

About the 'mature' content, well... There definitely is violence (people's tongues being cut out, severed heads etc.), as also some sexual imagery (protagonists shown naked in bed together, no naughty bits shown though - this ain't that kind of graphic novel!). So yeah, might be too mature for young kids, but for a 17-year old like you? Come on.

Overall, I'd rate it a 6 or 6.5/10, max. Of course it's all subjective so go ahead and snag a copy and feel free to give your own review and rating once you're done digesting it. :)