How should I change dungeon or palace graphics?

Prince of Persia related subjects that do not have their own boards.
robert
Sultan
Sultan

How should I change dungeon or palace graphics?

Post by robert »

Hey all! I've been working on more PoP 1 mods, and I want to change my graphics. I would like to use some of the total pack in my own mod. The problem is that sometimes I have problems with it. I change, for example, the original palace to blue marble palace, and then I enter the game and see some graphic errors with the wall.
Sometimes, when I edit my prince.exe with Cuspop I have that problem again.

What should I do to avoid this problem?
This will be my face if you can't win any of my mods
Norbert
The Prince of Persia
The Prince of Persia

Re: How should I change dungeon or palace graphics?

Post by Norbert »

robert wrote:I change, for example, the original palace to blue marble palace, and then I enter the game and see some graphic errors with the wall.
I can think of two things that could be the cause of this problem.

The first, and most likely what you're running into, is being described in this document: "As you can see in the last image, the new palette is also used for the other images that, according to resources.xml, use palette 50 (titles.pal)." See the image on page 6 of that document ("4. What Palettes Are Used"). That sample folder mentions five images: all of these images only look right when the correct palette is being used. If you replace one of the images that was meant to be used with another palette, the image won't look right. This means you may have to read into how exactly the palettes work, if you want to fix the problem.

The second is related to the wall-drawing algorithm (WDA). At some point, htamas figured out how to use the dungeon WDA for palace levels. The PRINCE.EXE file that is being used can have this enabled or disabled, and it changes the behavior of the game. CusPop is one of the tools that can customize this setting. It warns: "You have to be very careful if you want to enable this option because it uses the dungeon environment wall drawing algorithm in the palace environment as well, you must import the extra resources to your palace environment file with PR."