princed.org (phpBB forum + webpages)

Prince of Persia related subjects that do not have their own boards.
David
The Prince of Persia
The Prince of Persia

Re: princed.org (phpBB forum + WordPress webpages)

Post by David »

Falcury wrote:Hm, the Facebook page is also embedded in the iframe at the top of the forum page, right?
Umm... it is.
It did not appear because I did not enable it in NoScript... :D
Norbert
The Prince of Persia
The Prince of Persia

Post by Norbert »

There's also a link to Facebook on the main page.
Pretty hard to miss, so probably also blocked by your NoScript.

Twitter is just linked from threads on the Announcements board, I think.
Embedded tweets.
Most "Comment »" links on the main page go to these threads.
David
The Prince of Persia
The Prince of Persia

Post by David »

Norbert wrote:There's also a link to Facebook on the main page.
Pretty hard to miss, so probably also blocked by your NoScript.
The "fb-like-box"? It's an iframe, and NoScript can block those. And it does.
Norbert
The Prince of Persia
The Prince of Persia

Post by Norbert »

Remember folks, starting July 2016, I'm no longer the princed.org administrator. All I do is keep popot.org updated and running. Backups of the forum haven't been made and software (e.g. forum, wiki) hasn't been updated since at least July. In the unfortunate event that the forum stops working (or gets hacked, or whatever), all I will do is e-mail poirot, the owner of princed.org. If you have something important that is not on popot.org or popuw.com, don't just upload it on this forum and expect it to stay here: make sure to also keep a copy of it locally, on your own computer. Just to be on the safe side.
David
The Prince of Persia
The Prince of Persia

Post by David »

It seems like the post IDs recently surpassed 20000.
(You know, that number after p= in post links. For example: viewtopic.php?p=20000#p20000 )

But the Statistics on the main page show that the forum has less than 15000 posts!
What happened to the ~5000 missing IDs? Were there that many posts deleted, or?

By the way, the post with the smallest post ID is this: viewtopic.php?p=14#p14
It's a list of rules, in the Polish forum, from 2005.
Norbert
The Prince of Persia
The Prince of Persia

Post by Norbert »

Maybe it's related to how the original cnu.net.ar forum was imported?
For instance, the PoP1 music extraction thread had a previous home.
The cnu.net.ar forum did have some non-PoP threads, maybe these were deleted?

Maybe forum user "Programmer" also deleted all threads he started? I don't remember.

Also, don't forget about spam.
There have been periods when one spam message was posted a day, perhaps even more.
Back then I was constantly checking the forum for them, even temporarily changed the registration procedure in an effort to combat it.

Plus, every now and then people write posts that they shortly thereafter decide to delete.
For instance when they already found information they were looking for.
Falcury
Calif
Calif

Post by Falcury »

Norbert wrote:Maybe forum user "Programmer" also deleted all threads he started? I don't remember.
Yes, looking at the admin log, this happened on August 13th, 2013. He also cleared the admin log then... (do we have a backup of the forum data from before that time, perhaps?)
Norbert wrote:Remember folks, starting July 2016, I'm no longer the princed.org administrator. All I do is keep popot.org updated and running. Backups of the forum haven't been made and software (e.g. forum, wiki) hasn't been updated since at least July. In the unfortunate event that the forum stops working (or gets hacked, or whatever), all I will do is e-mail poirot, the owner of princed.org. If you have something important that is not on popot.org or popuw.com, don't just upload it on this forum and expect it to stay here: make sure to also keep a copy of it locally, on your own computer. Just to be on the safe side.
I have made new backups. I see that phpBB should be updated from 3.1.4 to 3.1.10. I wonder, can I update the forum software while it is running? Should I expect problems?
Norbert
The Prince of Persia
The Prince of Persia

Post by Norbert »

Falcury wrote:(do we have a backup of the forum data from before that time, perhaps?)
I wouldn't worry about it.
At the time, I looked through all the things that had disappeared and it included nothing of importance.
Back then I temporarily made a ZIP available that included the posts.
Falcury wrote:I have made new backups.
Thanks.
Falcury wrote:I wonder, can I update the forum software while it is running?
I think the update instructions point to a setting that changes the forum to an under construction mode or something.
It doesn't matter if the forum is unreachable for a couple of hours. We recently had a day or more, we survived. ;)
Norbert
The Prince of Persia
The Prince of Persia

Post by Norbert »

I have two suggestions:

It is likely that the main www.princed.org page will remain stuck at June 2016.
Maybe above the last (9 June 2016) entry it should say something like:
"For more recent news, see our Facebook or Twitter."
Falcury, if you agree, could you add this? This shouldn't be much work; maybe a couple of minutes of your time.

It is likely that the Announcements forum board will not get any 'real' new threads after June 9th.
I was using it to point to new things, but Facebook and Twitter will be easier for this.
Other people who announce things usually create threads in other (more specific/on-topic) boards - which, in my opinion, is a good thing.
Therefore I suggest we make the "Announcements" board a sub-board of the "General Stuff" board.

Why these suggestions?
Currently, if people check the main page or the "Announcements" board, they may think nothing has happened here since early June.
Falcury
Calif
Calif

Post by Falcury »

Norbert wrote:I have two suggestions:

It is likely that the main www.princed.org page will remain stuck at June 2016.
Maybe above the last (9 June 2016) entry it should say something like:
"For more recent news, see our Facebook or Twitter."
Falcury, if you agree, could you add this? This shouldn't be much work; maybe a couple of minutes of your time.
I'll think about it. I think I would like to try to catch up with the news first, and if (after that) it's too much for me to keep it up, I'll definitely put up a notice like you suggested.
Norbert wrote:2.
It is likely that the Announcements forum board will not get any 'real' new threads after June 9th.
I was using it to point to new things, but Facebook and Twitter will be easier for this.
Other people who announce things usually create threads in other (more specific/on-topic) boards - which, in my opinion, is a good thing.
Therefore I suggest we make the "Announcements" board a sub-board of the "General Stuff" board.

Why these suggestions?
Currently, if people check the main page or the "Announcements" board, they may think nothing has happened here since early June.
Good idea, I'll make the change!
Norbert
The Prince of Persia
The Prince of Persia

Post by Norbert »

Falcury wrote:I think I would like to try to catch up with the news first, and if (after that) it's too much for me to keep it up, I'll definitely put up a notice like you suggested.
Sure, sounds good.
Norbert wrote:Good idea, I'll make the change!
Nice.
Falcury
Calif
Calif

Post by Falcury »

OK, I created a new post with a 'news roundup' in the Announcements board:
viewtopic.php?f=74&p=20325#p20325

Hopefully I did not miss too much stuff in the list of new releases. If necessary I'll update the list.
Norbert wrote:Currently, if people check the main page or the "Announcements" board, they may think nothing has happened here since early June.
Should I revert the change, or leave it like this?
Falcury
Calif
Calif

Post by Falcury »

The forum software has been updated from version 3.1.4 to 3.1.10.
Please let me know if there are any issues.
Norbert
The Prince of Persia
The Prince of Persia

Post by Norbert »

Falcury wrote:The forum software has been updated from version 3.1.4 to 3.1.10.
I meant to tell you to not forget about the theme modifications, such as the logo's custom location, and the extra area I added that includes the chat and Facebook iframe. But it seems, for some reason and luckily, nothing broke during the upgrade. Maybe you told it not to override the old theme?
Falcury
Calif
Calif

Post by Falcury »

Norbert wrote:I meant to tell you to not forget about the theme modifications, such as the logo's custom location, and the extra area I added that includes the chat and Facebook iframe. But it seems, for some reason and luckily, nothing broke during the upgrade. Maybe you told it not to override the old theme?
I used the automated update package. If I understand correctly, the installer created a custom 'modified' update for me with only the (diff) changes applied between the old and new version. So that could be why the modifications didn't get overwritten when I manually uploaded the resulting files using FTP. :)