princed.org (phpBB forum + webpages)

Prince of Persia related subjects that do not have their own boards.
David
The Prince of Persia
The Prince of Persia

Re: princed.org (phpBB forum + webpages)

Post by David »

I found a bug: On the Edit profile page, the Location field appears five times.

While at it:
On the Edit global settings page, in the My language list, non-ASCII characters are all borked up.
I think it's a character encoding problem.
And it seems to me that this setting does not do anything, the settings page still appears in English even if I set a different language.
Falcury
Calif
Calif

Post by Falcury »

It seems I'm building up a list of things to do...
It's theoretically possible that updating the board to phpBB 3.2 will help for the bugs in the forum configuration pages. Maybe we should do that soon in any case.
When we do the update, I could also look at replacing the AJAX chat frame.
David
The Prince of Persia
The Prince of Persia

Post by David »

Falcury wrote:It's theoretically possible that updating the board to phpBB 3.2 will help for the bugs in the forum configuration pages. Maybe we should do that soon in any case.
Which version is currently installed? I don't see it anywhere, not even in the HTML source.

BTW, here is a list of new features in 3.2: https://www.phpbb.com/about/launch/
Looks like it finally can "show a link to the quoted post" (without mods, that is).
(Andrew asked for this here and here.)

Example: https://www.phpbb.com/community/viewtop ... #p14718621
Norbert wrote: The AJAX Chat at the top of this forum is taking up a lot of space.
Yet it hasn't been used by anyone since August 2015.
Maybe because it requires separate login and that's too bothersome?
I don't even remember what my (Chat) password is...
(But I still have the PM with it, titled "shoutbox user/pass". I can log in with those.)
Norbert
The Prince of Persia
The Prince of Persia

Post by Norbert »

David wrote:Which version is currently installed? I don't see it anywhere, not even in the HTML source.
Probably not shown publicly for security reasons.
David wrote:Looks like it finally can "show a link to the quoted post" (without mods, that is).
Reminds me of your recent post here.
David
The Prince of Persia
The Prince of Persia

Post by David »

Norbert wrote:Reminds me of your recent post here.
Yeah, that's a manual implementation. :)

It looks like the forum does not support non-BMP Unicode characters, for example most emojis.
If I try to use some, I get this: "Your message contains the following unsupported characters:"
HTML character entities don't work, either: 🤴

phpBB's new features page mentioned something about emojis, though...
David
The Prince of Persia
The Prince of Persia

Post by David »

BTW, I wonder what happens to quotes in existing posts when phpBB is updated to a version that links to the quoted post.
salvadorc17
Calif
Calif

Post by salvadorc17 »

No more news since April??
Norbert
The Prince of Persia
The Prince of Persia

Post by Norbert »

salvadorc17 wrote:No more news since April??
The Facebook and Twitter pages of Princed do not have all news.
Since the last posts on Facebook and Twitter, nine mods were added(*) and two programs got new versions (Total Pack v3.5 and drawmap v0.4).
The www.princed.org main page also doesn't mention that news, and it also doesn't mention poplaun, leapop, etc.
There are also other outdated pages, such as the Princed Downloads page.

People who want to know about news can read this forum or check the www.popot.org main page.

(*) Jaffar Never Dies, Damian0's Levels, Alternate Levels, Army of Clones, The Prince in the Labyrinth, Original Complex Version, The Prince in the Illusion, Flying Prince (2nd), Little Time
Falcury
Calif
Calif

Post by Falcury »

salvadorc17 wrote:No more news since April??
Would you maybe like to help out with posting news updates? Your help would be most welcome!

For me, catching up on stuff will probably have to wait until the end of August; I'll have more time available around that date.
Edit: Because it is out of date, I've made the Announcements forum a subsection of the General board again, for now.
Norbert
The Prince of Persia
The Prince of Persia

Post by Norbert »

Maybe phpBB has a plug-in that automatically posts new threads' headlines of a certain board to Twitter or Facebook.
Then if we put Twitter and Facebook feeds on the frontpage (http://www.princed.org)...
...people could just post in the Announcements board.
No admin would ever need to create Tweets, Facebook posts or edit the frontpage again.
Hm, and maybe only allow users with 10+ posts to post on the Announcements board.
Norbert
The Prince of Persia
The Prince of Persia

Post by Norbert »

I think when it comes to engagement and attracting (both old-timers' and newcomers') interest and attention, it's unwise to publish 'news' weeks or even months after releases and publications took place. To give an example, a reader might be more inclined to retweet news about something that just happened. I don't think it makes a huge difference for a small community such as this one, but having Twitter stuck on April 2nd, which is 2.5 months ago, makes people wonder if the community is still alive, sometimes literally. :) Of course, not all our news is equally interesting. But forums, email and home pages have become the Internet's alley. Social networking and social news websites are where people hang out. Plus, each time a single new, active person arrives here, the difference is quite noticeable.
Norbert
The Prince of Persia
The Prince of Persia

Post by Norbert »

The "Level conversion from PC to SNES for Total Pack" thread was split in two, which broke a link in one of my posts.
Maybe a forum moderator can edit this post and point the "this page" link to here.
Thanks.
salvadorc17
Calif
Calif

Post by salvadorc17 »

There are still stuff that could be added to 2017 releases so far, the POPSnesDev of mine, and the Infinite Adventure by starwindz, that is to show were still working on stuff, and not inactive..
David
The Prince of Persia
The Prince of Persia

Post by David »

Norbert wrote:The "Level conversion from PC to SNES for Total Pack" thread was split in two, which broke a link in one of my posts.
Maybe a forum moderator can edit this post and point the "this page" link to here.
Thanks.
Done.
(I also changed "tread" to "thread". :) )
Norbert
The Prince of Persia
The Prince of Persia

Post by Norbert »

Would be better to put less effort into Twitter/Facebook updates and post more often, to make news news.
It's now more than 4 months since the last Twitter/Facebook posts (around April 3rd).

I didn't keep track, but this rough overview should be fairly complete:
- 10 new mods were released (at popot they are #0000170-#0000179)
- PoP1 Total Pack version 3.5
- popot.org redesign
- SDLPoP GitHub changes (some official, some experiments like Settings window and replacing libs)
- PrinceConverter
- POPSnesDev
- PR GitHub changes (XML parsing fix)
- new KID.DAT by hellgenocid

Is there a way for forum posts on the Announcements board to also end up on Twitter/Facebook?
A phpBB plug-in or something?
And then members with 100+ posts or so could end up in a user group that is allowed to post on the Announcements board.
This would be a good permanent solution.
A viable solution might be to push to Twitter and Facebook just the thread subject with a link to the thread.
After it's implemented, I could then, if necessary, take care of most update posts, since it would be a lot less work.