princed.org (phpBB forum + webpages)

Prince of Persia related subjects that do not have their own boards.
Falcury
Calif
Calif

Re: princed.org (phpBB forum + webpages)

Post by Falcury »

Norbert wrote:Would be better to put less effort into Twitter/Facebook updates and post more often, to make news news.
I agree fully, and I think somebody other than me should take up that task... I'm not good at keeping up with the flow of news.
As soon as I get around to working down the 'todo' list (hopefully, in a few weeks time), I'll see if I can implement the solution you proposed. Thank you for offering to deal with the backlog!

Maybe users with less than 100 posts could still be allowed to post in the Announcements board, but the post would then need to be approved by a moderator.
David
The Prince of Persia
The Prince of Persia

Post by David »

This is probably not that important, but:
The W3C validator finds some errors on the Princed main page: https://validator.w3.org/nu/?doc=http%3 ... ced.org%2F
(There is a link to the W3C validator on the main page, that's how I found this out.)
Falcury
Calif
Calif

Post by Falcury »

I have updated the forum software to phpBB 3.2.1 (from 3.1.10).
Some things may be broken. Working through some issues at the moment.
  • Fixed logo.
  • Fixed favicon.
Now to see which older problems are still present even after the update.
David wrote: April 17th, 2017, 10:51 am I found a bug: On the Edit profile page, the Location field appears five times.
I deactivated (instead of deleted) four of the fields, just in case some people entered data in those fields that might be lost otherwise.
So far it seems that this change hasn't affected the "Location:" information that's displayed in user profiles and to the right of the posts. (Maybe I chose/guessed correctly by only leaving the first of the five fields active?)

(Side note: quotes can now link back to earlier posts, cool!)
David wrote: April 17th, 2017, 10:51 amOn the Edit global settings page, in the My language list, non-ASCII characters are all borked up.
I think it's a character encoding problem.
And it seems to me that this setting does not do anything, the settings page still appears in English even if I set a different language.
The bug is still present, unfortunately. Strange.
Norbert wrote: April 4th, 2017, 11:27 pm The AJAX Chat at the top of this forum is taking up a lot of space.
Yet it hasn't been used by anyone since August 2015.
We could replace the iframe with
http://webchat.freenode.net/?channels=princed (registered by poirot)
or
http://webchat.freenode.net/?channels=princeofpersia (free)
or
http://webchat.freenode.net/?channels=popmodding (free)

And then under the iframe where it currently just says "chat history", it could briefly explain how to register a nick at Freenode.
And maybe how to connect with a regular IRC client, so people interested don't need to hang around on this forum just to chat.

Of course, I don't know how many people would actually be interested in using any kind of chat.
Plus, it's a fleeting medium. Forums and wikis store information, IRC channels don't.
In theory a bot could log the chat and provide a web log, but setting that up might be more trouble than it is worth.
Do we still want to have iframes, for chat and Facebook?
I have never (actively) used the chat myself. But if other people want this functionality I can of course re-add it. (Then, which of the three channels that Norbert mentioned should we pick?)
The Facebook page is out of date currently.
Norbert wrote: June 18th, 2017, 8:40 pm Maybe phpBB has a plug-in that automatically posts new threads' headlines of a certain board to Twitter or Facebook.
Then if we put Twitter and Facebook feeds on the frontpage (http://www.princed.org)...
...people could just post in the Announcements board.
No admin would ever need to create Tweets, Facebook posts or edit the frontpage again.
Hm, and maybe only allow users with 10+ posts to post on the Announcements board.
I haven't found a solution for this yet...
Falcury
Calif
Calif

Post by Falcury »

Another problem: it looks like the spoiler tags stopped working.
I have no idea why.

For reference, this is the custom BBCode of the spoiler tag:

Code: Select all

<div style="padding:3px; background-color:#fff; border:1px solid #d8d8d8; font-size:1em;">
<div style="text-transform:uppercase; border-bottom:1px solid #ccc; margin-bottom:3px; font-size:0.8em; font-weight:bold; display:block;">
<span onClick="if (this.parentNode.parentNode.getElementsByTagName('div')[1].getElementsByTagName('div')[0].style.display != '') {  this.parentNode.parentNode.getElementsByTagName('div')[1].getElementsByTagName('div')[0].style.display = ''; this.innerHTML = '<b>Spoiler: </b><a href=\'#\' onClick=\'return false;\'>hide</a>'; } else { this.parentNode.parentNode.getElementsByTagName('div')[1].getElementsByTagName('div')[0].style.display = 'none'; this.innerHTML = '<b>Spoiler: </b><a href=\'#\' onClick=\'return false;\'>show</a>'; }" /><b>Spoiler: </b><a href="#" onClick="return false;">show</a>
</span>
</div>
<div class="quotecontent">
<div style="display:none;">{TEXT}</div>
</div>
</div>
Edit: Solved the problem.
The bug was caused by the closing slash of the <span> tag. As a result, the <span> was prematurely closed, which caused the link to become unclickable (strangely, only in some but not all cases...)

Bug occurs:
<span ... /> --LINK-- </span>
--> This is wrongly corrected by black PHP magic to:
<span ... ></span> --LINK--

Bug fixed:
<span ... > --LINK-- </span>
Norbert
The Prince of Persia
The Prince of Persia

Post by Norbert »

Falcury wrote: September 21st, 2017, 3:14 pmI have updated the forum software to phpBB 3.2.1 (from 3.1.10).
Nice.
Falcury wrote: September 21st, 2017, 6:33 pmspoiler tags stopped working. [...] Edit: Solved the problem.
Also nice that you found the cause of that problem and fixed it.

I don't think the chat and Facebook need to return.
There's a Facebook thingy at http://www.princed.org/ and a chat isn't necessary.
[Edit:]
Just fyi, the code was in styles/prosilver/template/overall_header.html, before "<!-- EVENT overall_header_page_body_before -->":
Spoiler: show

<div style="padding:10px 0px;">

<div style="float:left; width:calc(100% - 380px);">
<iframe src="/chat" style="width:100%; height:300px;"></iframe>
</div>

<div style="float:left; width:340px; height:300px; right:0; padding:0 0 0 20px;">
<div id="fb-root"></div>
<script>(function(d, s, id) {
  var js, fjs = d.getElementsByTagName(s)[0];
  if (d.getElementById(id)) return;
  js = d.createElement(s); js.id = id;
  js.src = "//connect.facebook.net/en_US/all.js#xfbml=1";
  fjs.parentNode.insertBefore(js, fjs);
}(document, 'script', 'facebook-jssdk'));</script>
<div
  class="fb-like-box"
  data-href="http://www.facebook.com/pages/Prince-of-Persia-Modding-Community/493202517387796"
  data-width="360"
  data-height="300"
  data-show-faces="false"
  data-stream="true"
  data-border-color="0e99df"
  data-header="false">
</div>

<!--
<script type="text/javascript">
$(document).ready(function() {
  $("iframe").contents().find("head").append("<style type='text/css'>  .pluginLikeboxStream { display:block; height:85px !important; overflow-y:scroll; } </style>");
});
</script>
-->
</div>
<div style="clear:both;"></div>
<span style="display:block; width:100%; text-align:center;"><a target="_blank" href="chat/history.php">chat history</a></span>

</div>
David
The Prince of Persia
The Prince of Persia

Post by David »

Falcury wrote: September 21st, 2017, 6:33 pmThe bug was caused by the closing slash of the <span> tag. As a result, the <span> was prematurely closed,
FYI, that is the syntax of empty/self-closing tags in XML, XHTML and HTML5.
Falcury wrote: September 21st, 2017, 3:14 pm (Side note: quotes can now link back to earlier posts, cool!)
Looks like the new quote BBCode includes a post_id, a time (Unix timestamp), and a user_id.

Also, the answer to my earlier question is that existing quotes didn't get links to the quoted post.

And it looks like non-BMP Unicode emoji is supported as well: 👳🤴⏳👸
Well, except the newest ones don't get converted to images. 🧞

I found a new bug:
If I triple-click to select a paragraph, the selection stops at links.
David
The Prince of Persia
The Prince of Persia

Post by David »

I found some other changes in the forum:
David
The Prince of Persia
The Prince of Persia

Post by David »

Another new feature is the ability to filter and sort posts in a topic.
It's one of the buttons next to "Post Reply".
To be honest, I don't really see why is it useful to sort by the author's name, for example.
Norbert
The Prince of Persia
The Prince of Persia

Post by Norbert »

Falcury wrote: August 6th, 2017, 9:09 pm
Norbert wrote:Would be better to put less effort into Twitter/Facebook updates and post more often, to make news news.
I agree fully, and I think somebody other than me should take up that task... I'm not good at keeping up with the flow of news.
Yes, someone else should take over. It's now 7 months since any updates were posted.
While there's not a lot of news, August 5th I created this list and since then some other things have been published. Among other things, three additional mods, the Chomper Dance page and poplaun 0.2.
Not to mention several other things that we could've used to keep social media interaction going.
Even just things like 'Did you know Runen (link) is similar to PoP?'.

I'll (re)take control of Twitter and Facebook.
Then we should have a good team with Falcury as admin, David as mod, and I as news poster.

Falcury, please:
- update the main http://www.princed.org/ page to include Facebook and Twitter streams (and links), plus a big enough message that since February 2017 news is posted on Facebook and Twitter,
- create a sticky post at the top here viewforum.php?f=74 that links to Facebook and Twitter, plus a clear message that since February 2017 news is posted on Facebook and Twitter.
Thanks.

I'll start updating Facebook and Twitter as from coming 18 November.
Falcury
Calif
Calif

Post by Falcury »

That is fantastic to hear, Norbert! I'm very glad to have you take over.
OK, I will do the update of princed.org and put up the notices within the coming days. Let's keep in contact as well if there's anything else you need.

Edit:
Norbert wrote: November 12th, 2017, 4:54 pm Falcury, please:
- update the main http://www.princed.org/ page to include Facebook and Twitter streams (and links), plus a big enough message that since February 2017 news is posted on Facebook and Twitter,
- create a sticky post at the top here viewforum.php?f=74 that links to Facebook and Twitter, plus a clear message that since February 2017 news is posted on Facebook and Twitter.
Thanks.
Done.
I've made the forum post a global announcement for now.
David wrote: August 29th, 2017, 3:09 pm This is probably not that important, but:
The W3C validator finds some errors on the Princed main page: https://validator.w3.org/nu/?doc=http%3 ... ced.org%2F
(There is a link to the W3C validator on the main page, that's how I found this out.)
I fixed the errors. Apparently, an <ul> tag closes a <p> tag, which explains some of the errors about inappropriate </p> closing tags. The remaining errors were because I made a typo in one of the news posts' <a> tags.
Falcury
Calif
Calif

Post by Falcury »

I will be absent from 10 December 2017 until 11 January 2018.
While I do not expect any problems, please be aware that I will probably not be able to administer the forum during that time.
I will of course make good backups before I leave.
David
The Prince of Persia
The Prince of Persia

Post by David »

There is a bug (or feature) in the forum search that has been bugging me for a while.
For example, search for this: shadow "level 12"
The result page tells that it "ignored: level 12", and accordingly, most results don't contain "level" and/or "12".

Earlier (in an older phpBB version?) it also told that the words were ignored because they are too common.
While the individual ignored words might indeed occur too frequently, the whole phrase might be quite specific.

Is it possible to change this behaviour?
Why does this even exist?
Falcury
Calif
Calif

Post by Falcury »

David wrote: March 4th, 2018, 12:29 pm There is a bug (or feature) in the forum search that has been bugging me for a while.
For example, search for this: shadow "level 12"
The result page tells that it "ignored: level 12", and accordingly, most results don't contain "level" and/or "12".

Earlier (in an older phpBB version?) it also told that the words were ignored because they are too common.
While the individual ignored words might indeed occur too frequently, the whole phrase might be quite specific.

Is it possible to change this behaviour?
Why does this even exist?
I think I found the setting that controls this behavior in the server configuration:
Common word threshold:
Words which are contained in a greater percentage of all posts will be regarded as common. Common words are ignored in search queries. Set to zero to disable. Only takes effect if there are more than 100 posts. If you want words that are currently regarded as common to be reconsidered you have to recreate the index.
This is currently set at 5%. I suppose that "level" occurs in more than 5% of the posts on the forum, which causes that word to be ignored.
I disabled that setting now. Hopefully that helps.

Edit: The search index is currently being recreated. ("This can take from a few minutes to a few hours depending on your board’s size.") As soon as that finishes, "level" and other words flagged as common should start showing up in the searches.

Also lowered the "Min characters indexed by search" from 3 to 1.
And lowered the "User search flood interval" from 60 seconds to 20 seconds. (It's annoying not to be able do multiple searches...)
Considering that we are not a huge community, and considering that CPUs get faster all the time, I guess the server should be able to handle that.
Falcury
Calif
Calif

Post by Falcury »

Falcury wrote: March 4th, 2018, 2:22 pm Edit: The search index is currently being recreated. ("This can take from a few minutes to a few hours depending on your board’s size.") As soon as that finishes, "level" and other words flagged as common should start showing up in the searches.
Turns out I needed to cancel that, delete the search index and recreate it again. Looks like it's fixed now.
David
The Prince of Persia
The Prince of Persia

Post by David »

Unfortunately the search now doesn't work at all for certain queries.
Example: searching for "mods not yet on popot"
search.php?keywords=%22mods+not+yet+on+ ... mit=Search
SQL ERROR [ mysql4 ]

The SELECT would examine more than MAX_JOIN_SIZE rows; check your WHERE and use SET SQL_BIG_SELECTS=1 or SET MAX_JOIN_SIZE=# if the SELECT is okay [1104]

An SQL error occurred while fetching this page. Please contact the Board Administrator if this problem persists.