Those weird guards

Prince of Persia related subjects that do not have their own boards.
4DPlayer

Those weird guards

Post by 4DPlayer »

I've heard about those weird guards in 4DPrince nd how the colors were generated by the game from trashed memory.
viewtopic.php?f=112&t=3571
Somehow, I got those colors myself when I was experimenting with some level editing.
It's sort of a long story.
Ok, first I decided to get a CusPop with Level 3 Guard Type as GUARD.
Then, instead of editing the level with apoplexy 3.6, I decided to dig out Apoplexy 1.2b. :)
Now, in 1.2b, changes made with the exe aren't recognized, so it still shows the skeleton sprites as the only guard option for level 3.
skell.JPG
I thought "what's the harm" in adding them?
And then the game generated these guys:
weirdguy.JPG
Pretty cool that I sort of got these colors myself. I could give you guys my Levels.DAT to examine if you want.
I also decided to experiment with how these colors would match on all the GAURD.DAT files available.
Spoiler: show
FAT guy.JPG
jaffarguy.JPG
ShadowAnd Flame guy.JPG
shadow.JPG
snesguy.JPG
David
The Prince of Persia
The Prince of Persia

Re: Those weird guards

Post by David »

4DPlayer wrote: June 18th, 2019, 1:48 am Pretty cool that I sort of got these colors myself.
The editor simply kept the original guard color. In the original level 3 it's 0xFF in all rooms.

Here's a neat trick: The colors will be different if you switch to different sound modes with the stdsnd or the adlib command-line parameters.
(At least this is what happens in PoP4D, but I guess the same will happen on your level.)
I've mentioned this briefly here: viewtopic.php?p=15833#p15833
4DPlayer

Re: Those weird guards

Post by 4DPlayer »

David wrote: June 22nd, 2019, 6:18 pm

Here's a neat trick: The colors will be different if you switch to different sound modes with the stdsnd or the adlib command-line parameters.
(At least this is what happens in PoP4D, but I guess the same will happen on your level.)
I've mentioned this briefly here: viewtopic.php?p=15833#p15833
Ooh.. Ahh...