Prince of Persia 3D Doesnt work on Windows 10 Pro 64 (bit)

RaymanForever2007
Sheikh
Sheikh

Re: Prince of Persia 3D Doesnt work on Windows 10 Pro 64 (bit)

Post by RaymanForever2007 »

Now I understand that you could install PoP 3D and apply patch v1.01 pasting the contents of the archive " "NEW Prince of Persia 3D v1.01 unpacked patch" ,managing SafeDisc v1.30 protection to make the game start.
And the last problem is "game lag" as you said, slow action.
Is my understanding correct ?
Well then, to install DirectX 9.0c and ebable it, here is the tip;
http://www.dosgamers.com/directx-9-windows-10-windows-8
That site tells everything to do it.
Following the instruction, you had better REBOOT your PC everytime after "Install DirectX 9" and "Enable Direct Play"
Oh you need dxwebsetup.exe to fullfil the insufficient components of DirectX from web.
https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/downloa ... x?id=34429
To run dxwebsetup.exe will automatically download insuffficient components from the web.
After this, you need REBBOT PC for the last time.

If you still get "lag", I am afraid that your PC or graphic card is not good enough to run PoP 3D although you do not get any in other game.
Software technologies in games are different to each other, one game may work fine on your PC, but not all the games.
Coco
Sultan
Sultan

Post by Coco »

Ok I will try it out, but I don't believe it will solve anything. I've installed the game on several different PCs, even with different copies, and it lags the same. WineHQ lowers this lag considerably though.
RaymanForever2007
Sheikh
Sheikh

One more thing on Windows 10 I should say, it's BIG OS as well as the latest OS, running many more processes than W98 or 95 and the hardware progress barely success to run them and other application programs including games.
PoP 3D needs more CPU power to run 3D plotting and in the era when W98 or 95 was conquering the world, the CPU power was considered to fit the game, because W98 or 95 needed less numbers of processes for it's own use comparing to W10.
But now W10 needs much more CPU power for it's own use, that is the reason why OLD GAME may have lag in play under W10, I wonder.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4LzIZrXCiL4
This maybe the champion speed run under Windows 10, if you get less lag that is your best speed.
A guy "Soul Ripper" asked "how to play it,i use windows 10 pro 64 bit install game launching and nothing,link where you download game?", he didn't know about how to make SafeDisc protection annihilated in W10.
Coco
Sultan
Sultan

Post by Coco »

Good thing you asked. 2 observations from the video:
1st - zero lag
2nd - The gates in the game have black color between bars. Exactly the same as when I used to run this game 10 years ago. The gates are transparent for me. You can see the bars, but there is no black color between them. Patch or no patch
RaymanForever2007
Sheikh
Sheikh

Coco wrote:The gates are transparent for me. You can see the bars, but there is no black color between them. Patch or no patch
The "gates" you mentioned maybe are "barred doors", I wonder.
In may case, through it I can recognize the guard waking as well as things or furniture in next room.
This is normal and assures that your DirectX is working well, if not, you cannot see any objects through the barred door getting black bars between the bars of the door, i.e. not transparent.
So you got the best result in screen except for the game lag.
Could you try all non-important processes killed when you play PoP 3D, which may make CPU power more dedicated to PoP 3D and game may go slightly quicker than before ?
Coco
Sultan
Sultan

Post by Coco »

Nah, It's the same. It seems that using Wine on Linux is the best solution. Microsoft virtualPc sucks. Haven't tried it with Oracle virtualBox though...
RaymanForever2007
Sheikh
Sheikh

Coco wrote: Microsoft virtualPc sucks.
Oh my! You are running Pop3D in "virtual" something on Windows 10 ?
In my case, I ran Pop 3D just in Windows 10. I once tried "virtual Windows 98" on Windows 7, which was REALLY SUCK
giving lags to virtual W98 itself not having the enough speed to run games in it.
Coco
Sultan
Sultan

Post by Coco »

I've tried running PoP3D in every possible way. Virtual PC (Win 98, Win NT, Win ME), "real PC" (Win 7, Win 10), and Linux (Wine). Best option, again... Linux. Far from perfect, but best.
Falcury
Calif
Calif

Post by Falcury »

I tried to get my old copy of Prince of Persia 3D to run properly again on Windows 10. I failed miserably though. The installer didn't work to begin with, so I used a virtual machine running Windows XP to go through the installation process. And once the game was patched and cracked and I could finally launch the game, I couldn't figure out how to solve the low framerate issue.

In the end I decided to buy an old Mac mini (mid-2010 model), and install 32-bit Windows XP on that alongside Mac OS X 10.6. So yeah, I have Prince of Persia 3D working perfectly again! :)
David
The Prince of Persia
The Prince of Persia

Post by David »

Falcury wrote: March 30th, 2019, 1:19 am In the end I decided to buy an old Mac mini (mid-2010 model), and install 32-bit Windows XP on that alongside Mac OS X 10.6.
Why did you buy specifically a Mac for that?
Falcury
Calif
Calif

Post by Falcury »

David wrote: March 30th, 2019, 12:14 pm Why did you buy specifically a Mac for that?
My initial thought was to get an Intel NUC, because I was looking for a machine that was reasonably fast but didn't take up too much space. Unfortunately, it seemed like the Intel NUCs do not have support for Windows for XP (let alone 32-bit), so that was out of the question. The Mac mini has a similar form factor though, and the mid-2010 model still supports Windows XP as a dual boot option. It's also not super expensive to get them second-hand (I got this one for 150 euros).

I also like the fact that I finally have a working Mac system again (I used to have a Macbook Pro (Late 2008), but that one died a few years ago). This Mac mini also still runs OS 10.6, which is a bonus because 10.6 is the last version that shipped with Rosetta; this is the emulation layer allowing PowerPC software from the 10.0-10.4 era to still work. Nostalgia all around!
Shattered
Sheikh
Sheikh

Post by Shattered »

I have the same lag problem on Windows 8.1 64-bit, but it seems DDrawCompat has solved the issue for me (for now).

I've found a link on popuw.com about DDrawCompat:

Code: Select all

https://github.com/narzoul/DDrawCompat/
I took the experimental release which has been released yesterday:

Code: Select all

https://github.com/narzoul/DDrawCompat/releases/tag/experimental
Simply download ddraw.zip and extract the file ddraw.dll into the POP3D installation folder (with the .exe). Then you can hopefully play without lag.

I've only played the first level a bit so I'm not sure if it works 100%.

Tested on Windows 8.1 64-bit, Prince of Persia 3D v1.01 with unprotected .exe.