Prince of Persia 3D Doesnt work on Windows 10 Pro 64 (bit)

Bally
Efendi
Efendi

Prince of Persia 3D Doesnt work on Windows 10 Pro 64 (bit)

Post by Bally »

Before i install sucess game i start launch and nothing,game not open,please could you help me anyone?
Coco
Sultan
Sultan

Re: Prince of Persia 3D Doesnt work on Windows 10 Pro 64 (bit)

Post by Coco »

I've been messing with this game for a while now. In order to save you some time (and time is money), give up... :/
PS
You owe me 200$ :!:
Norbert
The Prince of Persia
The Prince of Persia

Post by Norbert »

This game works fine via Wine.
Kind of ironic, that I can run this Windows game without problems on GNU/Linux. ;)
Coco
Sultan
Sultan

Post by Coco »

I've just installed open suse just to check linux for the first time in my life. So if I ever manage to connect that PC to internet, you basically say that I install wine and put Pop3d cd and install the game just like on windows??? Does it need patching?
Norbert
The Prince of Persia
The Prince of Persia

Post by Norbert »

Coco wrote:if I ever manage to connect that PC to internet
You write you installed Linux yourself.
Nowadays, the Linux ISO you download and burn will use the Internet to retrieve installation files.
The Linux installation should have automatically set up your Internet connection.
If it didn't, maybe download a Mint ISO instead.
You did have the Internet plug in your computer during the installation process, right?
Coco wrote:install wine and put Pop3d cd and install the game just like on windows???
In theory, yes.
Make sure to enable Wine's virtual desktop before you start.
Will it work in practice... you'll just have to try and see. :)
Coco
Sultan
Sultan

Post by Coco »

I've installed open suse leap 42.2 via USB (downloaded from other windows computer), but with no internet connection whatsoever. I don't have PCI slot on my motherboard, and dragging 30 meters of LAN cable to my room just ain't possible. Many of the packages are not installed, and since I've never used Linux before, I've no idea what I'm missing. I've downloaded WINE (again, on the same PC where I downloaded OpenSuse), and transfered files on other PC, but there isn't a single .deb file (that's like .exe file for the penguin fella, if I understood it right) in. Using terminal/console is still unfamiliar for me, I barely managed to change screen resolution.

Uhm, you forgot to mention whether the game needs patching, or not. I don't want to pass 4 levels and crash on library scene.
RaymanForever2007
Sheikh
Sheikh

Post by RaymanForever2007 »

Firstly, the main problem for playing PoP 3D in Windows10 64bit IS SAFEDISC V1.30 protection, even if you put CD2 into the drive W10 can not detect CD2 and the game won't start.
So the first measure is ;
http://popuw.com/download3.html
This HP suggests that "Use the unprotected POP3D.exe in case you experience problems with the SafeDisc protection on modern systems. You need to have the v1.01 patch installed. Please note that CD2 is still required in the drive. This file was unprotected with Safedisc Annihilator v1.1."

I once got files but forgot where it was, maybe Norbert knows.
Coco
Sultan
Sultan

Post by Coco »

I gave up on the idea to run this game on Windows 7 or later. You can use Wine on Linux (if you want to bother that much), but even there, the game suffers that stupid library bug, and patching it doesn't resolve the weird lag.
I will try to run this on virtual PC (Win98) now, and see what happens
RaymanForever2007
Sheikh
Sheikh

Coco wrote:I gave up on the idea to run this game on Windows 7 or later. You can use Wine on Linux (if you want to bother that much)
Hay, without telling your symptom in detail you jumped to the conclusion spreading such wrong rumor that PoP 3D will not work in W10 64bit.

I am the one who can install it and play it in W10 64bit, getting no "Please insert correct CD-ROM" warning" nor black screen when double-clicked pop3d.exe.
Would you answer to my post whether you think you got the issue from SafeDisk detection or not ?
Coco
Sultan
Sultan

Post by Coco »

Actually, I did gave the wrong information. I CAN run the game on windows 7 (64bit) or later, but I COULD NOT patch it with patch v1.0 or v1.01. However, someone posted v1.01 patch not as .exe file but as folder with files that are contained within a patch. The game cannot be completed without it. But, when the patch is applied, the game starts lagging horribly when you enter a bigger room (or better yet, face certain direction). These moments become increasingly common as you progress throughout the game, and it utterly ruins the experience. At one part of the game it took 3 whole seconds to turn the prince to face another direction using numpad 0 button. This lag is also present when running (and patching) game via WINE.
RaymanForever2007
Sheikh
Sheikh

Coco wrote:Actually, I did gave the wrong information. I CAN run the game on windows 7 (64bit) or later, but I COULD NOT patch it with patch v1.0 or v1.01. However, someone posted v1.01 patch not as .exe file but as folder with files that are contained within a patch.
I am afraid to say that patch 1.01 has a bug in it.
But the site; http://popuw.com/download3.html
instructed a solution;
v1.01 patch instructions:

The v1.01 patch has a bug, which installs all the files into the Windows directory by default. To install the v1.01 patch properly, follow one of the two solutions below:

Solution 1:

01. Run regedit
02. Open "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Red Orb\Prince of Persia 3D\1.0"
03. Add a new string value named "Directory", pointing to the directory where the game has been installed in
04. Apply the v1.01 patch.
Did you run the patch following steps above ?
Or the site has "NEW Prince of Persia 3D v1.01 unpacked patch", so you can use , i.e. paste this to your game installed directory again, even your first patch failed.
Hope this helps.
Coco
Sultan
Sultan

Post by Coco »

Patching the game is not the problem. The problem is that after patch is applied, the lag starts, and at many points, its really, really... really frustrating. I did some crazy combinations, and found a way to minimize the lag (no idea why it works), but it's still present. I'm playing the damn thing again. Even after all these years, it's still my favorite PoP game (just check my avatar).

EDIT:
My bad one more time. The patch doesn't make the lag. I've started unpatched game now, and the lag still happens. It can be easily observed in the very first room. Just try running in circles. It seems that this game isn't compatible with W7. Experience on virtual machine is even worse. The game is literally unplayable. In my case that is. I've tried it on both W98 and W-professional.
Coco
Sultan
Sultan

Post by Coco »

01. Run regedit
02. Open "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Red Orb\Prince of Persia 3D\1.0"
03. Add a new string value named "Directory", pointing to the directory where the game has been installed in
04. Apply the v1.01 patch.
You mention editing patch 1.0 location execution, then applying patch 1.01. Should both patches (v1.0 and 1.01) then be applied? The game works fine with just either one of them (except the lag ofcourse).
RaymanForever2007
Sheikh
Sheikh

Aahm, I mean you don't need patch 1.0, just use "NEW Prince of Persia 3D v1.01 unpacked patch" pasting(=overwriting) contents of the archive to the game installed directory. Forget about registry edit that seemed to confuse you, I'm sorry.
Overwriting the contents in the archive, your update to 1.01 is done.
Now let me know how the game works.
If you still suffer from the lag, maybe you will need DirctX 9.0C and enabling method of it if you didn't do it.
Coco
Sultan
Sultan

Post by Coco »

Enabling DirectX9.0? That I didn't do.