Fixing Pop 3d

Coco
Sultan
Sultan

Fixing Pop 3d

Post by Coco »

A member of the forum asked me how to run this game (PoP 3d) on windows 7 64 bit, and to be honest, if you have "the library bug" the game cannot be passed with this configuration. Solutions that worked on 32 bit system doesn't work on 64 bit windows.

Several years ago I found a file called "PoP3dDutch" on the internet (I certainly haven't found it under my bed :mrgreen: ) that made the game playable with 32 bit system, but it had bad lag. However, game was finishable (is that a word???). Anyway, the pop3dDutch is .exe file that cannot run on 64 bit system. Is there anyone here who can edit the file and force it to start on 64 bit system, so we can at least be able to complete the game?
Andrew
Wise Scribe
Wise Scribe

Re: Fixing Pop 3d

Post by Andrew »

Coco wrote:Anyway, the pop3dDutch is .exe file that cannot run on 64 bit system. Is there anyone here who can edit the file and force it to start on 64 bit system, so we can at least be able to complete the game?
32-bit EXEs can run on 64-bit Windows, but not vice versa. What happens exactly when you run the program?
David
The Prince of Persia
The Prince of Persia

Post by David »

I've heard about 32-bit programs that had 16-bit installers.
But I'm not sure if this is the case here.
Coco
Sultan
Sultan

Post by Coco »

What happens exactly when you run the program?
Can't quite remember exactly, but something like " Can't start application because it is not compatible with..."
I'm too lazy to try this again just to check the message. After more than a decade I managed to replay this whole game with less lags than usual using Wine. And I'm so happy :P
Coco
Sultan
Sultan

Post by Coco »

Yesterday I ran into yet another POP3d-not-exactly-legal-copy that contains the patch. This is the first time ever in 20 years, that I've managed to play this game without any issue. There's no lag, there's no library bug, and I'm yet to see if there are some texture issues on certain levels. I'm gonna finally enjoy this damned game 20 years later.

I'm wondering if this patch can work with other game versions... So If there are any volunteers... And if I'm not braking any forum rules :?: post if you're willing to test it.

Edit
Textures on certain parts are ***cked up, audio suddenly drops on level change, but at least the gameplay is normal.
Falcury
Calif
Calif

Post by Falcury »

I would be interested to test it!
Coco wrote: December 20th, 2018, 1:33 pm I'm wondering if this patch can work with other game versions... So If there are any volunteers... And if I'm not braking any forum rules :?: post if you're willing to test it.
I am not sure about this. I made a post in this thread, to discuss whether patches for Prince of Persia 3D should be allowed on the forum:
viewtopic.php?f=67&t=2953&p=25069#p25069
Coco
Sultan
Sultan

Post by Coco »

The game never loaded different music files upon level change using this patch. But that was the only issue, so I didn't mind.

I've also downloaded and replayed (again) the game from POPUW with all fixes applied. It works smoothly and normally, up until level 6. That level won't load, and now, it won't load other levels too. Strange bugs... I think this depends on the machine you play on... Ungh... The never ending struggle
Norbert
The Prince of Persia
The Prince of Persia

Post by Norbert »

If the patch is available without the game and possible copyright crack, then posting it should be fine, I'd think.
If the patch is not stand-alone, then perhaps its author (or someone else) might be able to make it so?
Coco
Sultan
Sultan

Post by Coco »

Maybe this thing is same as any other patch. I wouldn't know... Since I can't upload exe file, here's link to my cloud:

https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/ ... TrdhL-U6Ne