Help Setup Sound in game...

Second part of the best game ever made.
Azeez

Help Setup Sound in game...

Post by Azeez »

Plz help me , to configure sound... iam using intel 815E Original board, with intel integrated audio.... if i configure with IRQ-5 and DMA-1 (default) i can play only sound but not music and in the dungeon , when i step on those bullet traps (with my SB pro setup with no music) the game just halts...

plz help me someone anyone!!!
Thanks a lot in Advance!
_Zaphod_
Beylerbey
Beylerbey

Post by _Zaphod_ »

Suggest the following

1) play in DOSBOX.
2) for music, use general midi.
3) for sound, use soundblaster pro, but get the IRQ *right*! the symptom of an incorrect IRQ is sound cutting out during the game, and the game freezing until you press escape at various spots. The storyboard will freze after thefirst sound in every cutscene if you got the IRQ wrong.
RusFan
Sheikh
Sheikh

Re: Help Setup Sound in game...

Post by RusFan »

For me if use general midi or roland music plays only at cut scenes. Is it normal? And it sounds enough crappy especially with roland. In PoP1 music was much better. And few peoples knows that in PoP1 v.1.4 it's possible to use general midi too, like in v.1.3. Just copy MMPU401.DRV and PRESET40.DEF files from PoP2 to SNDDRVRS folder and choose Roland MT-32/LAPC-1/CM-32L in Setup.
RusFan
Sheikh
Sheikh

Post by RusFan »

I've found reason of crappy sound when you use Roland MT-32 in PoP2.

It's because it not fully compatible with standard MPU-401 interface and you need special hardware for normal playing. But you can use emulator of MT-32 instead called Munt or, even better, special versions of DOSBox by Ykhwong (preferably) or Gulikoza with built-in updated version of Munt.

Additionally you will need ROM files MT32_PCM.ROM and MT32_CONTROL.ROM which you should put in directory with DOSBox or Munt. Also you can use files CM32L_PCM.ROM and CM32L_CONTROL.ROM from more advanced device Roland CM-32L with more sound effect samples but for Munt you'll need edit OEMSetup.inf file manually before installing:

[mt32emu]
1:CM32L_PCM.ROM
1:CM32L_CONTROL.ROM

Or you'll need put these files in System32 directory after installing with removing MT32_XXX files.

Latest binary of Munt located at sourceforge page already very outdated. Some of new versions including special version of DOSBox with built-in MT-32 support you can find here. But for unknown reasons it doesn't work for me.

The sound with MT-32 is really great and in differ from General MIDI it's playing everewhere as in cut scenes like in game itself (if you have not music in game try to delete file PRINCE.OPT from game directory).

As to PoP1 you can play music through MT-32 device too but only in v.1.3, in v.1.4 support of MT-32 was removed and as I said before in this version you can use General MIDI device instead, with drivers from PoP2 (you need only MMPU401.DRV file, PRESET40.DEF is not required).
Last edited by RusFan on October 18th, 2012, 9:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Andrew
Wise Scribe
Wise Scribe

Post by Andrew »

Thanks for the info. I use Munt already for MIDI playback in my audio player.