What is the best version? What are the diffrences?

Discuss other PoP1 related things here.
OrSpeeder
Sheikh
Sheikh

What is the best version? What are the diffrences?

Post by OrSpeeder »

From what I saw, the PC, AtariST, and some other computers are all ports of Apple II, with the PC featuring the same graphics as Apple II but improved pallete, and all others with better graphics (but worse pallete than PC).

There are a MAC version, I dunno anything about it but the fact that its graphics were used to make the Genesis version.

There are the Genesis version, pretty graphics... same levels? More stuff on gameplay?

The SNES version has pretty graphics, much larger game, new traps, new guards, some engine enhancements (like more than 1 type of guard per level) but seemly its controls are not good like on PC (I dunno)

There are other ports?

I heard that there are still a Sega CD port, a Pc Engine port, and some other stuff...

Oh yeah: There are the PS3 and XBOX 360 ports, that seemly kick-ass... And the cellphone ports that use the PS3 graphics but 2D (and seemly the same gameplay and levels as PC) and there are a official Flash port, that suck... (1 level, PC level 1 graphics, unresponsive controls)
Eagle-Head Priest 97
Wise Scribe
Wise Scribe

Re: What is the best version? What are the diffrences?

Post by Eagle-Head Priest 97 »

The SNES version is the best version. Period.
Former Member of popuw.com/forum
mk1995
The Prince of Persia
The Prince of Persia

Post by mk1995 »

The Genesis/MegaDrive version may have better graphics and some more levels (increasing the amount to a total of 17 or so...), but gameplay-wise, it sucks. Swordfights are very awkward and you still get only one hour, although 90 minutes would've been neat for the increase in levels. Yet, there are actually people who've beaten the game within that time.
For swordfights, there's only one rule to follow: Hit that C button until the guard is dead.

Then, we've got a NES version, one for the SMS, etc. etc. etc.

PoP1 has been ported to almost every system you can count.
Just to make something clear: I will not reply to daft PMs like "Where can I find X?" or "Can you give me a link to Y?". Most of your questions are likely answerable if only you took your bloody time to look through these forums and use Google if all else fails. Sheesh...
Veke
Wise Scribe
Wise Scribe

Post by Veke »

The PC version is the best.
OrSpeeder
Sheikh
Sheikh

Post by OrSpeeder »

For now the SNES is seemly winning... All features from the PC, same control scheme (not the borked stuff from POP2 with 2 action buttons) and shiny graphics... Also the controls are responsive...

No wonder why Konami still exists, where Brotherbund...
mk1995
The Prince of Persia
The Prince of Persia

Post by mk1995 »

OrSpeeder wrote:No wonder why Konami-
HOLD IT!

The SNES port of PoP wasn't made by Konami. It's been done by a Japanese company called Masaya. Konami merely published it in the US. Plus, the true reason Konami still exists is because they simply rock.
Just to make something clear: I will not reply to daft PMs like "Where can I find X?" or "Can you give me a link to Y?". Most of your questions are likely answerable if only you took your bloody time to look through these forums and use Google if all else fails. Sheesh...
_Zaphod_
Beylerbey
Beylerbey

Post by _Zaphod_ »

Versions that are bad

Anything that says Domark on it. ANYTHING.
ANything that says Virgin on it.

The SNES version is amazing, but not the original game.

Here is my list of versions worth playing

perfect: Apple ][, Amiga, DOS, Mac, C64, SNES (but it's not the same game).

Very Good: PC9801, Fm Towns, Sega CD, Sharp X68000. While these are not "mod perfect", they are VERY close, and play wonderfully. Two tile running jump, failure to grab after falling too far, and warp glitch all work. Normal speed in these version is three, but they are playable on speed 1 (fastest). Any of these version are definitely worth playing.

Not Bad: TG-16 CD. They tried, but since they had to reprogram the entire engine for an 8 bit CPU, they kinds screwed up a few things. But it's fun to abuse the ledge grab bug and speedrun level 8. :) Sam coupe is impressive for a totally unofficial conversion. Worth playing still i think.

Avoid:
Atari ST. Looks very nice, but framerate is wayyy too inconsistent.
NES. You don't even merge with shadow! FAIL!
Genesis cart: Domark. need I say more? HORRID controlls, you can't two tile running jump, etc.
SMS/GG: again crap controls.
Gameboy: sadly this is better than NES, but the game really needs a bigger screen.

Possibly worth a look.

Speccy, CPC versions.

If you must play only one version, make it Mac, Amiga, or MS-DOS. mac is best, but it actually requires a real pre-intel mac to play right. If you must play only two, the second version should be SNES. If you like 8 bit, play c64 version, as it's mod perfect. Apple ][ version was awesome for it's time, but we have better options now. :) Sega CD version is probably the best out of Japan besides the SNES version , as it got an uncensored full english release, and still has that solid play control. If you don't care about that, then the other very good versions are quite good. And, if you happen to have a turbo duo, play that version, as even with it's bugs it's still pretty playable.
Norbert
The Prince of Persia
The Prince of Persia

Post by Norbert »

Video that shows a lot of versions:

_Zaphod_
Beylerbey
Beylerbey

Post by _Zaphod_ »

There is a very simple test you can run on the very first screen to test the accuracy of a PoP 1 port.

Run over the loose tile on screen 1 then jump back across it.

Inch up to the edge, then do a two tile running jump over the hole.

If you CANNOT do this, the version seriously needs work. Among those that fail this simple test.

1) NES version.
2) US genesis version
3) European genesis version.

oddly enough the gameboy version does let you do this, though it has other obvious issues.
David
The Prince of Persia
The Prince of Persia

Post by David »

I tried this in all versions that I have.
- I assumed that different country/language versions on the same platform behave identically.
- I tried to jump both from left to right and from right to left. (Unless there is not enough space on the right, for example on the ZX Spectrum or the SEGA Master System.)
- Some versions allow a two-tile running jump without turning.
Here are the results:

Those that pass the test:
Apple II: both direction
DOS: both direction
ATM Turbo: both direction
X68000: both direction
Amiga: both direction
SNES: both direction
Commodore 64: both direction
SEGA MegaCD: both direction
Atari ST: both direction
Macintosh: both direction

Those that fail the test:
GameBoy: can do this from left to right only; can do in both directions if starts from the wall
GameBoy Color: can do this from left to right only; can do in both directions if starts from the wall (= GB)
Amstrad CPC: left to right; can do in both directions if starts from the wall
Enterprise 128: left to right; can do in both directions if starts from the wall (= Amstrad CPC)
SEGA Genesis: bumps into wall; can do in both directions if starts from the wall
NES: can do this from right to left only
PC98: can't, falls; must climb down and up (I thought this version is based on X68000, or vice versa)
Sam Coupé: can't step to the edge; bumps into wall
ZX Spectrum: bumps into wall
SEGA Master System: can't, falls
BK-0011M: can't
Norbert
The Prince of Persia
The Prince of Persia

Post by Norbert »

FM Towns also fails.
Fails in both directions, also fails from both walls.

Took me a while to get it up and running under Linux.
I used the Unz emulator under Wine, while the cdemu daemon is running and the FM Towns PoP CD-ROM is mounted.
I may put up an FM Towns page at popot.org in the future, with a separate download for the soundtrack (extracted with bchunk -w).
David
The Prince of Persia
The Prince of Persia

Post by David »

I am currently downloading the FM Towns port from here: http://doperoms.com/toproms.php?system= ... 20fm-towns
(388 MB with 460 KB/s -> ~14 minutes)
And I also found this: PoP2 on the FM Towns (only screenshots): http://current.pixelmemori.es/?p=221
Norbert
The Prince of Persia
The Prince of Persia

Post by Norbert »

David wrote:I am currently downloading the FM Towns port from here: http://doperoms.com/toproms.php?system= ... 20fm-towns
(388 MB with 460 KB/s -> ~14 minutes)
I've created a thread about the FM Towns version here.
Some of its music (direct download, 73MB, as MP3s here) is pretty nice, IMO.
Norbert
The Prince of Persia
The Prince of Persia

Post by Norbert »

_Zaphod_ wrote:There is a very simple test you can run on the very first screen to test the accuracy of a PoP 1 port. [...]
Another thing some ports won't allow is hopping forward.
Pretty annoying when that's impossible.
zumbertinho
Scholar Scribe
Scholar Scribe

Post by zumbertinho »

mk1995 wrote:
OrSpeeder wrote:No wonder why Konami-
HOLD IT!

The SNES port of PoP wasn't made by Konami. It's been done by a Japanese company called Masaya. Konami merely published it in the US. Plus, the true reason Konami still exists is because they simply rock.
Just to clarify: Masaya is also only a publisher; the developer was Arsys (a developer which apparently has some historical importance, including being responsible for the development of the first Gran Turismo game).

The SNES port is superb. However, as ppl already pointed out here, it's not the original game. In my opinion the PC port is the top one ;)
Is the one hidden in Sands of Time the Mac one?