4D Prince of Persia Question

Questions like: "I can't find the sword" should go here.
Timmy
Scholar Scribe
Scholar Scribe

4D Prince of Persia Question

Post by Timmy »

Just wanted to ask, how exactly is '4D POP', 4D?

Looking around on google and all I could find was that it has harder levels and an odd way of navigating and that its really 3D and the 5th level is actually a sphere.
Norbert
The Prince of Persia
The Prince of Persia

Re: 4D Prince of Persia Question

Post by Norbert »

I, for one, have no idea.
The author of that mod supposedly is Kirill A. Terebilov, but I doubt you'll be able to contact him somehow.
Timmy
Scholar Scribe
Scholar Scribe

Post by Timmy »

Well, is it true, that its 3D (the mapping/navigationwise)?
There's a video on youtube (with russian music and level 1 to 6), that only slightly explains (not enough to completely understand) whats going on.
Norbert
The Prince of Persia
The Prince of Persia

Post by Norbert »

Timmy wrote:Well, is it true, that its 3D (the mapping/navigationwise)?
Yes, that mod has some broken (odd) room links.
In level 4, for example, both above and below the starting room is the same room, which would be impossible in real life.
You can see the effect that can have in the beginning of this video about level 3 (and 4) of another mod (Repetition of Time).
It could be that that's what Kirill meant with the "4D".
Norbert
The Prince of Persia
The Prince of Persia

Post by Norbert »

(Double posting, because some people may miss an edit.)

I've just successfully replayed this entire mod.
I wanted to comment a bit on it on this forum and since this thread is about the mod, I will add my comment here.
I noticed that mk1995 commented here that he remembers the mod as being challenging, and he didn't get farther than level 2.
Level 3 is indeed the most difficult level but, all in all, this is, in my opinion, an easy mod.
Lots of levels are the same as the original PoP1 (7-10,12-13). Levels that were changed are basically just mazes.
If you run around long enough, you'll eventually find the level door and its raise button.
Timmy
Scholar Scribe
Scholar Scribe

Post by Timmy »

Norbert wrote:
Timmy wrote:Well, is it true, that its 3D (the mapping/navigationwise)?
Yes, that mod has some broken (odd) room links.
In level 4, for example, both above and below the starting room is the same room, which would be impossible in real life.
You can see the effect that can have in the beginning of this video about level 3 (and 4) of another mod (Repetition of Time).
It could be that that's what Kirill meant with the "4D".
Hmm, maybe. Here's the russian/english video that tries to explain the 4D (3D actually, I think) concept, and there are a few comments underneath which say that the 4th level is a torus (doughnut shape) and the 5th level is a sphere (I can sort of see the 3d logic in this one). The video doesn't clearly explain much though.
I'm suprised that's not much info on a mod this old. I'm also suprised that in the few reviews and articles that exist, there's not a second thought on why its called 4D. (POP 3D was made much later, I think).

Maybe there's no real 4D(3D) concept at play here and its just oddly mapped.

Has anyone tried to map levels 4, 5 and 6 (although, I know some areas would map in the same space)? Maybe in 3D?
MoonlightShadow
Efendi
Efendi

Post by MoonlightShadow »

I don't know how to cheat in Prince 4d. I use windows 7 and dos box. I typed in FILE NAME kirill (for me it's 4d_prin kirill) but nothing worked except for the level up cheat (Shift + L), but when it reached Level 4, I couldn't use it any more.

I have the same problem with PoP 1.4, except for the version my friend sent me, but he doesn't even remember where he downloaded it. With his version I can cheat whatever I want!

Can anyone help me?
Norbert
The Prince of Persia
The Prince of Persia

Post by Norbert »

MoonlightShadow wrote:I typed in FILE NAME kirill (for me it's 4d_prin kirill) but [...]
Welcome to the forum! :)
The password is "kirill!", with an exclamation mark.
MoonlightShadow wrote:I have the same problem with PoP 1.4, [...]
If cheats don't work, the password was changed from "improved" to something else.
You can use diffpop to figure out what it was changed to.
Also, you can download a 1.4 version from popuw, use one of the versions from the ultimate collection or even generate your own PRINCE.EXE file.
MoonlightShadow
Efendi
Efendi

Thank you very much! So it's actually kirill with an exclamation mark :D I can cheat now ^^

I thought the PoP 1.4 is the only 1989 version with good sound isn't it? Then the one my friend sent me IS a 1.4, but the megahit works smoothly without doing anything else. When I downloaded the 1.4 version from Popuw it has the problem above. Maybe I should try things you suggest above :) Thanks a lot!
Norbert
The Prince of Persia
The Prince of Persia

Post by Norbert »

MoonlightShadow wrote:I thought the PoP 1.4 is the only 1989 version with good sound isn't it?
The differences when it comes to sounds are between versions 1.0 and 1.3/1.4.
See chapter 1.2 of this document for details.
So, if by "good sound" you're referring to a more splashy spike, higher sounding running and a metallic sword sound, then that would be versions 1.3 and 1.4.
Both 1.3 and 1.4 use the cheat code "improved".
MoonlightShadow
Efendi
Efendi

I see! After downloading all the versions, I think my friend's version is Prince 1.0, and now I can't even find the difference btw the sound of these. Actually I've downloaded some 1.3 version from other sites (not popuw), and the sound is actually like Mario's sound. What version is that?

And can you tell me the differences btw 1.0, 1.3 and 1.4?
Norbert
The Prince of Persia
The Prince of Persia

Post by Norbert »

MoonlightShadow wrote:[...], and the sound is actually like Mario's sound. What version is that?
Versions 1.3 and 1.4 have a SETUP.EXE that allows you to choose a the sound card, which can/will make the audio sound different.
The same is possible from the command prompt for (mostly) versions 1.0 and 1.3 as you can read here.
Examples: try starting 1.0 with "prince Stdsnd" or try starting 1.3 with "prince Disney". (Disney's sound effects - not its music - are interesting...)
Other than that, it's possible for mod creators to completely change the audio, both the sound effects and the music.
If you check the "audio" checkbox here and then press "Search", you can find some mods with modified audio.
MoonlightShadow wrote:And can you tell me the differences btw 1.0, 1.3 and 1.4?
Information about the differences as far as content goes (graphics, sound effects, music), can be found in this document.
Other than that, see what I wrote above about the command line options and SETUP.EXE.
Finally, 1.3/1.4 have a slightly different color in certain levels, like the greenish theme of level 3.
MoonlightShadow
Efendi
Efendi

I see. Thanks a lot for the information! :D So in your point of view, which version is the best?
Norbert
The Prince of Persia
The Prince of Persia

Post by Norbert »

MoonlightShadow wrote:So in your point of view, which version is the best?
They are all so similar, I don't have a preference one way or the other. :)
MoonlightShadow
Efendi
Efendi

As far as I know, there's something wrong with Prince4d at level 11, right? I downloaded the fixed kirill.dat and replace it, but when I hit the button which was supposed to open the level up gate but it didn't open anything, and I couldn't get out of this level. Anyone have a solution?