Prince Of Persia 1: World Record Techniques [PC-DOS version]

Check here for questions about obtaining the fastest possible times.
prince1990
Efendi
Efendi

Prince Of Persia 1: World Record Techniques [PC-DOS version]

Post by prince1990 »

Hi to all, I know many things about POP1 and time ago i visited a site (now, no more available) that showed an highscore chart with the best times. The first three players had a time very interesting: their times went past the others players about 4-5 minutes (these others players had times of about 43:30 on completing the game). I've recently learned that is possible obtain a time of completition higher than 43:30. With my techniques it's teorically possible a time of 45:00 (of course without any possible cheat). But acquiring a time that is near 50:00 or + seems to be impossible. Seems that there are several in-game tricks. We could start a discussion for achieving the best time ever. Everyone could make a list of tricks that will save precious time.
poirot
Developer
Developer

Post by poirot »

you should check out the tammo jan best scores page ;)
there is a link the the main page
CrazyDiamond
Vizier
Vizier

Post by CrazyDiamond »

I didn't find the link....!
remember when you were young / you shone like the sun / shine on you crazy diamond
prince1990
Efendi
Efendi

Post by prince1990 »

Yes, I saw only that page, but now seems to be offline. Anyway no one would talk about some techniques to moving faster? What's your best time to finish the game? It's strange there aren't people interested to finish faster the game... I've studied this game for a long time but the first player in that chart had managed to achieve a time up to five minutes than mine.
CrazyDiamond
Vizier
Vizier

Post by CrazyDiamond »

prince1990 wrote:With my techniques it's teorically possible a time of 45:00 (of course without any possible cheat). But acquiring a time that is near 50:00 or + seems to be impossible.
You said "teorically"..this means that to get better results you play only one level lot of times and then register your best time..summing all the 12 results you should get your teorical best time..
but to do that I think you used a clock..and I tell you that "real time" is different from "pop time"!! in fact when you play pop and open a gate everything gets slower for few seconds..also pop clock!! this means that if you take 15 minutes of real time to finish pop, then you'll take only something like 12 minutes of pop time!!
prince1990 wrote:Anyway no one would talk about some techniques to moving faster? What's your best time to finish the game? It's strange there aren't people interested to finish faster the game...
Yes of course i'd like to be a faster pop player...I don't know how to take only 15 minutes to finish it!! I don't think I ever took less than 30! I should play one of these days to see my results..I'll let you know :wink:
However I just know one trick which could let you save 1 minute!!!
in level 12 there is a way to take the sword near the shadow..I have to thank tacosalad 'cos he told me about this trick (then I discovered it by myself playing)
see this link..and play also tacosalad mod!! it's very interesting!

PS finally an italian in this forum!! we're only in two! where are you from? I'm siciian but I study in Pisa..
remember when you were young / you shone like the sun / shine on you crazy diamond
CrazyDiamond
Vizier
Vizier

Post by CrazyDiamond »

CrazyDiamond wrote: However I just know one trick which could let you save 1 minute!!!
in level 12 there is a way to take the sword near the shadow..I have to thank tacosalad 'cos he told me about this trick (then I discovered it by myself playing)
I checked it now...they're only 35 seconds (of real time)...better than nothing :D
prince1990
Efendi
Efendi

Post by prince1990 »

CrazyDiamond wrote:You said "teorically"..this means that to get better results you play only one level lot of times and then register your best time..summing all the 12 results you should get your teorical best time..
but to do that I think you used a clock..and I tell you that "real time" is different from "pop time"!! in fact when you play pop and open a gate everything gets slower for few seconds..also pop clock!! this means that if you take 15 minutes of real time to finish pop, then you'll take only something like 12 minutes of pop time!!
Really I didn't know anything about slowering time when a gate it's opening. Very interesting. I've managed to take time for every single level completed, played without any kind of error, and with all my knowledges. And yes, I have also checked every single precise time of various levels cleared with a normal clock (therefore not the Prince internal clock). I will try to complete the game from level 1 to level 12 with all my skills, but in this moment is very hard.
Could you tell me about all the possible events that can slow the Prince internal clock? Only when the gates are opening (and I presume, when them are closing) slow the time?
Another question, skipping the intermediate scenes can affect the final time of completition of game?
CrazyDiamond wrote:in level 12 there is a way to take the sword near the shadow..
You mean there is a move to pick up the sword before (or even before) the shadow enters on screen and that "trick" will save time? Could you explain me that trick? Because in the link you mentioned nothing is leaked about it (I've read there are two version to catch that sword, right?). Then I will reveal you a particular move to save many seconds in an other level.
CrazyDiamond wrote:PS finally an italian in this forum!! we're only in two! where are you from? I'm siciian but I study in Pisa..
Central Italy.
CrazyDiamond
Vizier
Vizier

Post by CrazyDiamond »

prince1990 wrote:Really I didn't know anything about slowering time when a gate it's opening. Very interesting. I've managed to take time for every single level completed, played without any kind of error, and with all my knowledges. And yes, I have also checked every single precise time of various levels cleared with a normal clock (therefore not the Prince internal clock). I will try to complete the game from level 1 to level 12 with all my skills, but in this moment is very hard.
Could you tell me about all the possible events that can slow the Prince internal clock? Only when the gates are opening (and I presume, when them are closing) slow the time?
Another question, skipping the intermediate scenes can affect the final time of completition of game?
Yes also when they are closing...then all the times that you see prince walking slower,for example when the shadow appears..on the contrary if you are near chompers you'll notice that time is quicker!!
about the intermediate scenes I'm sure that they can't affect your time :wink:

prince1990 wrote:
CrazyDiamond wrote:in level 12 there is a way to take the sword near the shadow..
You mean there is a move to pick up the sword before (or even before) the shadow enters on screen and that "trick" will save time? Could you explain me that trick? Because in the link you mentioned nothing is leaked about it (I've read there are two version to catch that sword, right?). Then I will reveal you a particular move to save many seconds in an other level.
I say eeeeveen before!! in the link there isn't written anything because we spoke through private messages (so that anyone who wants to try can do that without suggestions)..
we can also speak with pm...in italian of course :mrgreen:
prince1990
Efendi
Efendi

Post by prince1990 »

The information about "manipulating" time and the sword trick in level 12 of course can improve significantly the final time result.

OT: a question regarding level 5 on PC-DOS version of the game: is it possible to take the big energy bottle before the shadow? I've read time ago that is only possible on PC-APPLE version of the game due a strange episode with the first guard you encounter from the start of the level.
Also, always speaking about strange episodes, I know that is possible to fall together with a guard from the edge(?) of a floor always in level 5: how I could reproduce it?
CrazyDiamond
Vizier
Vizier

Post by CrazyDiamond »

prince1990 wrote: OT: a question regarding level 5 on PC-DOS version of the game: is it possible to take the big energy bottle before the shadow? I've read time ago that is only possible on PC-APPLE version of the game due a strange episode with the first guard you encounter from the start of the level.
Also, always speaking about strange episodes, I know that is possible to fall together with a guard from the edge(?) of a floor always in level 5: how I could reproduce it?
I don't know!! where did you read that? I just know that it is possible in one of the mods: i remember i did it, but can't remember which mod...

about the second question i didn't understand it very well!! why should you be interested in falling together with a guard?

Post by Guest »

CrazyDiamond wrote:
prince1990 wrote: OT: a question regarding level 5 on PC-DOS version of the game: is it possible to take the big energy bottle before the shadow? I've read time ago that is only possible on PC-APPLE version of the game due a strange episode with the first guard you encounter from the start of the level.
I don't know!! where did you read that? I just know that it is possible in one of the mods: i remember i did it, but can't remember which mod...

about the second question i didn't understand it very well!! why should you be interested in falling together with a guard?
Pratically you must bring the first guard on the floor from where you're arrived. And then make him follow you until the left big pillar, and there engage a combat with him. During the combat make the guard disappear on the left side of the screen, and then kill the guard remaining in that position: as result the trigger on the left screen will remain down (you can check it entering on left screen and see it). Now, i presume in PC-APPLE version of the game this trigger is also connected to the most upper gate where the shadow enters to take the big potion. Strangely, this trick doesn't work for the PC-DOS version. I suppose for the PC-APPLE version should work, but I never tried.
Regarding the second question, it should be possible increase with that technique, in certain levels, the possibility to moving faster. Because when that case occur the guard should die before the prince, creating so a cushion that will make the prince's fall safe, without taking any damage or death from falling high platforms. It's strange but I know it's possible. A method for implementing that can be the first guard on level 8, bringing him on the right side screen until the laking tile and make fall the prince togheter with the guard through it.
prince1990
Efendi
Efendi

Post by prince1990 »

Sorry, in the post above I forgot to log in..
CrazyDiamond
Vizier
Vizier

Post by CrazyDiamond »

Prince1990 wrote:Pratically you must bring the first guard on the floor from where you're arrived. And then make him follow you until the left big pillar, and there engage a combat with him. During the combat make the guard disappear on the left side of the screen, and then kill the guard remaining in that position: as result the trigger on the left screen will remain down (you can check it entering on left screen and see it). Now, i presume in PC-APPLE version of the game this trigger is also connected to the most upper gate where the shadow enters to take the big potion. Strangely, this trick doesn't work for the PC-DOS version. I suppose for the PC-APPLE version should work, but I never tried.
I tried it now (PC-DOS) but it didn't work...however interesting!
Prince1990 wrote: Regarding the second question, it should be possible increase with that technique, in certain levels, the possibility to moving faster. Because when that case occur the guard should die before the prince, creating so a cushion that will make the prince's fall safe, without taking any damage or death from falling high platforms. It's strange but I know it's possible. A method for implementing that can be the first guard on level 8, bringing him on the right side screen until the laking tile and make fall the prince togheter with the guard through it.
Now I understood!! I had discovered something similar in creating my second level!! you fall on a guard which is two tiles down and on the spikes...but you don't die and don't lose any energy!! :twisted: :twisted:
I can send you a level file with a pair of "power playing" rooms from my levels...just give me your mail :D
but i have bad news for level 8: in fact you can use this trick only in one room, because when a guard falls in another room it disappears..
prince1990
Efendi
Efendi

Post by prince1990 »

CrazyDiamond wrote: Now I understood!! I had discovered something similar in creating my second level!! you fall on a guard which is two tiles down and on the spikes...but you don't die and don't lose any energy!! :twisted: :twisted:
I can send you a level file with a pair of "power playing" rooms from my levels...just give me your mail :D
but i have bad news for level 8: in fact you can use this trick only in one room, because when a guard falls in another room it disappears..
Ok, but in level 5 there aren't any spikes with two tiles down. For me it's possible to create a situation that can reproduce this thing but it seems to be very hard to execute.
prince1990
Efendi
Efendi

Post by prince1990 »

Another zone where the trick I mentioned above could be used is the start screen of level 7: bringing the guard on the right side screen to the left side screen and then make prince and the guard falling togheter. That will save many seconds.