Prince 1 and 1/2 - a new mod

atrueprincefanfrom18
Site Shah
Site Shah

Re: Prince 1 and 1/2 - a new mod

Post by atrueprincefanfrom18 »

Oh, can you please add the src folder (I have to compile to play it). If I try to run

Code: Select all

$ ./PRINCE 
it says:

Code: Select all

./PRINCE: /lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libm.so.6: version `GLIBC_2.29' not found (required by ./PRINCE)
Also, I notice the folder names are uppercase. Last time they were lowercase. Do they make a difference?
Love to create new MODS :)

My complete list of mods until now!

My channel. Do consider subscribing it! :)
dmitrys
Developer
Developer

Post by dmitrys »

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9qRUItj2o30&t=6m35s

In this movie there is an exit door on the princess level which leads to level 14 (the copyright potion level) that can also be customized.
dmitrys
Developer
Developer

Post by dmitrys »

Do you have a 32-bit version of Ubuntu? The binary just works on my laptop and a VM is the SDL2 lib is installed.

I updated the attachment here to include the source code: viewtopic.php?p=31095#p31095

In the original attachment I just added the Linux version to the Windows build which is why the file was uppercase.
atrueprincefanfrom18
Site Shah
Site Shah

dmitrys wrote: October 26th, 2020, 6:28 am Do you have a 32-bit version of Ubuntu? The binary just works on my laptop and a VM is the SDL2 lib is installed.
Nope, I'm using 64-bit.

os.png

But now, after compiling, it's working fine. Maybe I'll playthrough it if I find something interesting...

Thanks!

atrueprincefanfrom18
Site Shah
Site Shah

Nice changes!

Level 9 bug is fixed (although you can merge with shadow).
Level 10 playing is more or less forced, you need to die.
Level 14, when you get hit by Jaffar, you lose a point, and Jaffar's points are increased. Nice!
Level 15, copyright protection you die after a few seconds (although I would recommend you to add a level door there, so players think that they died because of entering that door, or something like that. Just upto you).

I haven't yet found way to get to the princess. And nice, that you got inspired from my mod! :lol:
Level 14 also has rooms which more or less match to Level 12a of No Sword Original! ;)

Norbert
The Prince of Persia
The Prince of Persia

Post by Norbert »

atrueprincefanfrom18 wrote: October 26th, 2020, 5:47 am
dmitrys wrote: October 26th, 2020, 5:28 am Hopefully Norbert can update the attachment on Popot.org.
[...], but maybe updating is easier than adding (I don't know how backend is created, so maybe he would update it soon).
Updating is easier. I've updated the ZIP on PoPOT.
The only modification I've made is rename the Linux executable from "prince" to "PRINCE".
There is only one SDLPoP executable name in the PoPOT XML, that some launchers rely on.
In this case the name is "PRINCE.EXE", which allows the launchers to simply remove the ".EXE" bit to get the Linux executable name.

By the way, I see that SDL2IMG.DLL was renamed to SDL2_IMAGE.DLL, but I think neither is required?
I also noticed a new PPALACE.DAT, which is used for level 5, I think?
yourantumayel69
Calif
Calif

Post by yourantumayel69 »

Norbert wrote: October 26th, 2020, 3:59 pm I also noticed a new PPALACE.DAT
What PPALACE.DAT? Very good graphics for purple VPALACE. Maybe I or Ahmed Bousrih can use this. :cool:
Pengkhotbah 3:1 (TB) Untuk segala sesuatu ada masanya, untuk apa pun di bawah langit ada waktunya.
dmitrys
Developer
Developer

Post by dmitrys »

atrueprincefanfrom18 wrote: October 26th, 2020, 8:45 am Nice changes!

Level 9 bug is fixed (although you can merge with shadow).
Level 10 playing is more or less forced, you need to die.
Level 14, when you get hit by Jaffar, you lose a point, and Jaffar's points are increased. Nice!
Level 15, copyright protection you die after a few seconds (although I would recommend you to add a level door there, so players think that they died because of entering that door, or something like that. Just upto you).

I haven't yet found way to get to the princess. And nice, that you got inspired from my mod! :lol:
Level 14 also has rooms which more or less match to Level 12a of No Sword Original! ;)
The Jaffar stealing your hitpoints behavior has always been there.

The copy protection level was changed to look like the cell Kid escaped from which you can get in level 1. So he is not dead, he got caught and is imprisoned again. Therefore, the game restarts.

Rooms with pillars on level 14 is something I have seen in multiple mods, the Jaffar statue level in Repetition of time as well as your mod. So I have used them to hide some opener tiles and a room entry.
dmitrys
Developer
Developer

Post by dmitrys »

Norbert wrote: October 26th, 2020, 3:59 pm
atrueprincefanfrom18 wrote: October 26th, 2020, 5:47 am
dmitrys wrote: October 26th, 2020, 5:28 am Hopefully Norbert can update the attachment on Popot.org.
[...], but maybe updating is easier than adding (I don't know how backend is created, so maybe he would update it soon).
Updating is easier. I've updated the ZIP on PoPOT.
The only modification I've made is rename the Linux executable from "prince" to "PRINCE".
There is only one SDLPoP executable name in the PoPOT XML, that some launchers rely on.
In this case the name is "PRINCE.EXE", which allows the launchers to simply remove the ".EXE" bit to get the Linux executable name.

By the way, I see that SDL2IMG.DLL was renamed to SDL2_IMAGE.DLL, but I think neither is required?
I also noticed a new PPALACE.DAT, which is used for level 5, I think?
The changes sound good. Thanks.

I used PPALACE (poisoned palace) for level 5 because it has modified graphics. This way I could use regular graphics such as the balcony and snow flake pattern for other palace levels.

The library file should be SDL2_IMAGE.DLL. The shortened name was used for the DOS version to avoid long file names but there is no need for that now.
dmitrys
Developer
Developer

Post by dmitrys »

One thing that POP 1.3 does better than other versions of POP 1 including SDLPoP is MT-32 Roland support. Browsing the forums I realized that SDLPoP has legacy OGG format support.

I used Munt to record MT-32 playback of the game's midi files (extracted with PR) into wave files, then converted them to ogg format and trimmed them using ffmpeg. It added about 4 MB to the game size. But the music is much nicer than the Sound Blaster midi playback and it really complements positional (stereo) audio.

I added a convention in the code of my mod to look for DATA/MUSIC/MUSIC??.OGG files where ?? is the POP number of the sound instead of creating a names.txt file.

The archive is around is about 6 MB which is larger than the forum attachment limit. It can be downloaded from here.
https://raw.githubusercontent.com/dstar ... r2_mt32.7z
Norbert
The Prince of Persia
The Prince of Persia

Post by Norbert »

dmitrys wrote: November 3rd, 2020, 7:12 amIt can be downloaded from here. [...]
I've also added your files to PoP1_DOS_music.zip here, at the bottom of the page.
dmitrys
Developer
Developer

Post by dmitrys »

Norbert wrote: November 3rd, 2020, 1:56 pm I've also added your files to PoP1_DOS_music.zip here, at the bottom of the page.
When you get a chance, can the ZIP file on popot.org be replaced with this new one?

In addition to the music, I also fixed a bug where sometimes a guard would be striking air if kid was standing still without a sword. The disappearing spiked guard fix is also in.

Thanks
Norbert
The Prince of Persia
The Prince of Persia

Post by Norbert »

dmitrys wrote: November 4th, 2020, 6:55 pmWhen you get a chance, can the ZIP file on popot.org be replaced with this new one?
Definitely; done.
dmitrys
Developer
Developer

Post by dmitrys »

I have been playing with the SDLPoP engine to think of additional features for a new mod I might start next year. And I came up with the idea of playing as a shadow, just like you can do in POP2 in the bird temple.

That gave me an idea of modifying level 10 of my current mod to have the player merge with the shadow so I can use the mouse logic on level 12a without any alternate game play. Level 9 has been modified so you cannot get inside the gate where the shadow is anymore.

Here is what the normal game play looks like. You can also hear updated "hurt" sounds from POP2 and MT-32 music.

But you can also jump over the other shadow to play as a shadow. Guards, loose tiles or anything else reacts to the shadow and it cannot get hurt. Drinking potions has no affect on it.

Release 3 of the game can be found here. I also made level 11 a little more challenging as it felt to simple, along with a few bug fixes.
https://raw.githubusercontent.com/dstar ... r3_mt32.7z

Norbert, I hate to ask again to update the Popot.org with the new zip file. But now I really feel like I am finally happy with the game story.
atrueprincefanfrom18
Site Shah
Site Shah

Nice improvements! :)

Suggestions:
Chompers and spikes should react as there is somebody near them (but of course, shouldn't hurt the Prince (or you might call shadow)).
Maybe you could make the shadow (with which you have to merge to open the exit door) on the top of the last room, so there's something to do and something the player could explore and enjoy with the power. And if possible make a climatic battle, similar to original Level 12a.

I don't know how difficult or easy it is to change the things, but I guess it would be more fun to play with these features! :)

Maybe I can play Level 10 and Level 11, now that you have changed a lot of things!