MININIM updates

A free software implementation of Prince of Persia 1.
oitofelix
Wise Scribe
Wise Scribe

Re: MININIM updates

Post by oitofelix »

David wrote:At 9:00-9:30, you speak about putting more stars onto the sky, but I don't see any...
That might be because the video plays only in 360p.
That's probably the case, because stars are only 1 pixel wide.
David wrote:The quality selection menu shows only three options: Automatic, 360p, and a link to this: https://support.google.com/youtube/answer/6322658?hl=en
It says Firefox needs at least Windows 7 for better quality options. Great...
I recorded it in 720p and can naturally select this resolution while streaming it back from YouTube. Thus, as you noticed, this should be a Firefox, or rather Windows, issue.
David wrote:BTW, I see you're using Windows 3.1-style window borders.
Indeed. For some reason (probably nostalgia) the Windows 3.1 interface seems very pleasing to me.
Bruno Félix Rezende Ribeiro (oitofelix)
MININIM author
YURA
The Prince of Persia
The Prince of Persia

Post by YURA »

Question? How to see properties of a tile pedal what lattice or a door it opens?
There are such keys?
oitofelix
Wise Scribe
Wise Scribe

Post by oitofelix »

YURA wrote: December 19th, 2017, 1:23 pm Question? How to see properties of a tile pedal what lattice or a door it opens?
There are such keys?
Take a look at this chart: viewtopic.php?f=127&t=4056#p21467

Proceed this way:
  • Press F8 to enable the level editor (or click anywhere on the game screen);
  • Press C to enter the "CONSTRUCTION" menu;
  • Press N to select the "NUMERICAL INFO" item;
  • Point the mouse cursor at the opener/closer floor of interest to see its triggered event number;
  • Press BACKSPACE twice to get back to the menu start;
  • Press E to enter the "EVENT" menu;
  • Press C to select the "EVENT->CON" item;
  • Press +, - or 0...9 to select the number event just spotted;
  • The target door will get the focus.
The next release of MININIM will present a much better level editor experience. I promise.
MININIM author
YURA
The Prince of Persia
The Prince of Persia

Post by YURA »

Many thanks! I will try to estimate also this function.
But does not show if 1 pedal tile opens 2 or 3 gate?
make a video example, please

It would be excellent if there was a menu in mininim-201701122309-win32.
You wrote that the updated version oshidatsya soon. Tell date or it is a gift for New year!?
oitofelix
Wise Scribe
Wise Scribe

Post by oitofelix »

YURA wrote: December 20th, 2017, 4:08 am But does not show if 1 pedal tile opens 2 or 3 gate?
What tells you about this is the next field status of the respective event, shown next to the event number in the "EVENT->CON" item, as an "N" in case that event triggers the next one, "-" otherwise. Please, see section 6.2.1 (page 50) of MININIM manual.
make a video example, please
I'm sorry, I don't have time for that.
It would be excellent if there was a menu in mininim-201701122309-win32.
Indeed. Fortunately the next release will feature it.
You wrote that the updated version oshidatsya soon. Tell date or it is a gift for New year!?
Unfortunately I'll only be able to release the next version of MININIM (hopefully) within the next year. The new version will have many, many improvements. Keep in mind though that I never got a cent for MININIM, and thus I had to get a job and now I'm very busy with work and university (but still working on MININIM as frequently as possible). If you'd like to see MININIM better faster, please consider donating.
MININIM author
YURA
The Prince of Persia
The Prince of Persia

Post by YURA »

Thanks for the detailed answer. And many thanks for your work over the program. Good luck to you in your affairs and in life. Yours faithfully,
Norbert
The Prince of Persia
The Prince of Persia

Post by Norbert »

For your information, I noticed a bunch of MININIM replays have been added for New 13 levels.
I haven't had time to check them yet, to see if they are valid and such.
oitofelix
Wise Scribe
Wise Scribe

Post by oitofelix »

Norbert wrote: January 8th, 2018, 7:46 pm For your information, I noticed a bunch of MININIM replays have been added for New 13 levels.
Thanks for letting me know. :)
MININIM author
Norbert
The Prince of Persia
The Prince of Persia

Post by Norbert »

Maybe make megahit <level> also skip the intro, like the original does.
Norbert
The Prince of Persia
The Prince of Persia

Post by Norbert »

Norbert wrote: April 9th, 2018, 10:09 pm Maybe make megahit <level> also skip the intro, like the original does.
Also, maybe the "MININIM: Hope you enjoyed it!" text should not go to stderr.
The standard error output stream is typically used for error messages.
Norbert
The Prince of Persia
The Prince of Persia

Post by Norbert »

oitofelix wrote: December 21st, 2017, 12:23 ambusy with work and university
I've contacted you on IRC (#mininim, you were present), with public and private inquiries on this forum (you have visited since), and via email.
You did not get back to me anywhere. I understand you may be busy, but to me the lack of even a short 'sorry, busy' reply indicates either anti-social behavior on your part, or your apparent inability to express/discuss whatever discontent you may feel. The single post you've made here since mid-February seems strangely in dissonance with your general stance. Maybe you're disillusioned as a result of not receiving more financial compensation for your work; I don't know. Maybe you're having an occupational burnout and this post of mine will turn out to be ill-considered.

Meanwhile, users of MININIM are expected to read its huge manual to learn how to manually draw the sword, because you're prioritizing personal (design) philosophies over user-friendly usability. Something I recognize from the GNU project. Not only is the stubbornness making life unnecessarily difficult, it's holding back progress. Hackers building end-user software for other hackers, wondering why the rest of humanity is shaking their heads. It's not just the sword situation. Your rigid response to feedback regarding its implementation merely accurately exemplifies the kind of feedback I've received from GNU hackers for decades in response to legitimate criticism. The fundamentalism is tiresome.
oitofelix
Wise Scribe
Wise Scribe

Post by oitofelix »

Norbert wrote: April 17th, 2018, 9:17 pm I've contacted you on IRC (#mininim, you were present), with public and private inquiries on this forum (you have visited since), and via email.
Sorry I didn't reply. I'm very busy learning the necessary skills to ensure my future ability to dedicate most of my time to MININIM development, in a definitive and (therefore) sustainable way. I'm confident that this investment will pay off in the long run.
Norbert wrote: April 17th, 2018, 9:17 pm You did not get back to me anywhere. I understand you may be busy, but to me the lack of even a short 'sorry, busy' reply indicates either anti-social behavior on your part, or your apparent inability to express/discuss whatever discontent you may feel. The single post you've made here since mid-February seems strangely in dissonance with your general stance. Maybe you're disillusioned as a result of not receiving more financial compensation for your work; I don't know. Maybe you're having an occupational burnout and this post of mine will turn out to be ill-considered.
I was glad and grateful for your interest in MININIM, but didn't reply because I'm a little too much obsessed with comprehensive and overthought replies. That's my nature --- probably my fault, in this case. My lack of time doesn't help either. Believe me, I'm not ignoring you. For example, I still plan to answer this question of yours. It's been marked with a star in my inbox for over a year now. I didn't forget; I'm just not ready to answer yet.
Norbert wrote: April 17th, 2018, 9:17 pmMeanwhile, users of MININIM are expected to read its huge manual to learn how to manually draw the sword, because you're prioritizing personal (design) philosophies over user-friendly usability. Something I recognize from the GNU project. Not only is the stubbornness making life unnecessarily difficult, it's holding back progress. Hackers building end-user software for other hackers, wondering why the rest of humanity is shaking their heads. It's not just the sword situation. Your rigid response to feedback regarding its implementation merely accurately exemplifies the kind of feedback I've received from GNU hackers for decades in response to legitimate criticism. The fundamentalism is tiresome.
I'm sorry you feel that way, even though I don't relate to your frustration. In the latest release of MININIM, after keeping the sword, have you tried getting close to a guard? In this very topic I replied to David about this feature:
oitofelix wrote:
David wrote:This no-auto-sword-drawing is good when I have to sneak behind a guard who's not looking. :)
I'm glad you like it. The kid draws the sword automatically if in fight range, though. In that case he takes care of keeping it at the end of the fight as well. I think that's the perfect balance for the "to auto or not to auto" draw sword dillema that caused some discussions in earlier versions of MININIM. That's proof that the answer to some questions can only be achieved given enough time and experience.
Ps:
  • Congratulations on your new release of Apoplexy! I was happy to see that MININIM is supported. Unfortunately a very old version of MININIM is being distributed.
  • For the MININIM fans out there (I'm one as well), I want you to know that I'm here and I'll stand by you. For now I'm just gathering the resources to make our dream come even more truer.
MININIM author
Norbert
The Prince of Persia
The Prince of Persia

Post by Norbert »

Thanks for the reaction.
4DPlayer

Post by 4DPlayer »

How do I move the KID wherever I want like in this video? Also, how to get multi room?

I have MININIM 0.10. Is that the latest version?
David
The Prince of Persia
The Prince of Persia

Post by David »

4DPlayer wrote: June 6th, 2019, 9:12 pm I have MININIM 0.10. Is that the latest version?
The latest version is "201701122309". You can get it here: http://oitofelix.github.io/mininim/
MININIM 0.10 doesn't have the features you want to use, so you need to download the latest version.
4DPlayer wrote: June 6th, 2019, 9:12 pm How do I move the KID wherever I want like in this video?
Click with the left mouse button to enable editing mode, then click with the middle mouse button (wheel) to put the prince where the cursor is.
4DPlayer wrote: June 6th, 2019, 9:12 pm Also, how to get multi room?
Use "[" and "]" to decrease and increase the number of shown rooms.
The keys are documented at http://oitofelix.github.io/mininim/ under Key bindings.
There are further key combinations to change the amount of rooms only horizontally or vertically.

Note that if your current keyboard layout has no separate keys for "[" and "]" then you need to switch to a layout that has them.
For example, I usually use the Hungarian keyboard layout, where "[" is AltGr+F and "]" is AltGr+G, but these don't work in MININIM.
So I change to the US English keyboard layout, where "[" and "]" are the two keys on the right side of "P".
That way I can use [, ], Alt+[, and Alt+], but somehow Ctrl+[ and Ctrl+] still don't work for me.