Problem compiling, the development version [SOLVED].

A free software implementation of Prince of Persia 1.
Giorgos
Efendi
Efendi

Problem compiling, the development version [SOLVED].

Post by Giorgos »

Hi! :P

I downloaded the latest development version and I'm trying to install it on my system (Mint 17.3 x64 KDE).

I gave "./bootstrap" and "./configure", which they completed successfully, but giving "make", returns (after a while), these lines:

Code: Select all

/bin/bash: line 2: --name=The Advanced Prince of Persia Engine (a childhood dream): command not found
make[3]: *** [mininim.1] Error 127
make[3]: Leaving directory `/home/giorgos/Λήψεις/mininim-master/doc/man'
make[2]: *** [all-recursive] Error 1
make[2]: Leaving directory `/home/giorgos/Λήψεις/mininim-master/doc'
make[1]: *** [all-recursive] Error 1
make[1]: Leaving directory `/home/giorgos/Λήψεις/mininim-master'
make: *** [all] Error 2
Any hints?
TIA! :cool:
Last edited by Giorgos on May 29th, 2016, 8:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I grow old, ever learning many things. Solon.
Norbert
The Prince of Persia
The Prince of Persia

Re: Problem compiling, the development version.

Post by Norbert »

Giorgos wrote:I downloaded the latest development version and I'm trying to install it on my system (Mint 17.3 x64 KDE).

I gave "./bootstrap" and "./configure", which they completed successfully, but giving "make", returns (after a while), these lines:

Code: Select all

/bin/bash: line 2: --name=The Advanced Prince of Persia Engine (a childhood dream): command not found
One of the things configure shows you is: checking for help2man... no
You can "sudo apt-get install help2man".
Then re-run configure, you'll see: checking for help2man... /usr/bin/help2man
After this, make should finish cleanly.
Giorgos
Efendi
Efendi

Post by Giorgos »

1) Thanks Norbert! ;)

Indeed installing help2man, solved the problem.
My suggestion is, posting the requirements at INSTALL file, because ./configure output is very long and you can easily miss things.

2) I don't know if these are bugs, but:

a) When starting the game the output isn't correct (shows more rooms). (1st attachment).

b) Passing the --start-time=N switch (eg. --start-time=7200), sets the time to 0 and you instantly lose the game (2nd attachment).
G.
Attachments
MININIM2.png
MININIM1.png
oitofelix
Wise Scribe
Wise Scribe

Post by oitofelix »

Giorgos wrote:My suggestion is, posting the requirements at INSTALL file, because ./configure output is very long and you can easily miss things.
The INSTALL file is the canonical one provided by the GNU project, that describes how to interact (from a user's standpoint) with the build system of packages that comply with the GNU coding standards. Remarks specific to the package go in the Hacking section of the README file. The help2man requirement is already listed there. However, this file is only generated from its Texinfo source at distribution time (make dist). On the other hand, the INSTALL file is always present because the GNU Autotools demand so.

Said that, there is actually a chicken and egg problem here, because the man page is included in the tarball, so users would only need help2man if they want to change and rebuild the documentation, while people fetching from VCS are the ones that unconditionally need it.

I think I'll put a short note in the GitHub's README.md file about the development-time dependencies.
Giorgos wrote:When starting the game the output isn't correct (shows more rooms). (1st attachment).
That is a powerful MININIM feature called "multi-room". Unfortunately it still lacks formal documentation, but an informal description is given here.

MININIM defaults to 2x2 resolution, but you can revert back to the legacy behavior by using the --multi-room=1x1 command line option or simply pressing [ in game.
Giorgos wrote:Passing the --start-time=N switch (eg. --start-time=7200), sets the time to 0 and you instantly lose the game (2nd attachment).
That's the expected behavior, because you set the start time (that is play time) above the time limit, which defaults to 3600. I think you meant to use --time-limit=7200 (two hours time limit).

Thank you for testing and reporting MININIM.

Edit: use the command line option --help to get a comprehensive list of MININIM options and their meaning.
Bruno Félix Rezende Ribeiro (oitofelix)
MININIM author
Giorgos
Efendi
Efendi

Post by Giorgos »

THANKS oitofelix for your help!!! :D

1) I didn't know about the multi-room feature!
Indeed passing the 1x1 switch works perfectly!

2) Seems like after trying a lot of different switches from console I put the wrong one.
Indeed the --time-limit, was the correct choice.

THANKS AGAIN!!! :D
oitofelix
Wise Scribe
Wise Scribe

Post by oitofelix »

oitofelix wrote:I think I'll put a short note in the GitHub's README.md file about the development-time dependencies.
Commit e46a65c solves the problem in two ways.
  1. Add build instructions, including dependencies, to the README.md file.
  2. Remove Texinfo and help2man requirements for development time builds. If makeinfo isn't found it warns the user and simply ignores the build structure under doc directory. If help2man isn't found it warns the user and ignores the doc/man directory. Thus binary builds work seamlessly without those dependencies.
Don't forget to run a git pull && make regularly as MININIM gets updated on a daily basis.
MININIM author
Giorgos
Efendi
Efendi

Re: Problem compiling, the development version [SOLVED].

Post by Giorgos »

Awesome! :D

Ehm...but I feel, that I'm still missing something! :oops:
Just a couple of questions:
1) I uninstalled it and installed the new version.
I don't have the man page installed.
(Not important, since "mininim -?" is always works).

2) What keys should be used, instead of Home and Page UP (for jumping left and right)?
Thanks! :)
G.
oitofelix
Wise Scribe
Wise Scribe

Post by oitofelix »

Giorgos wrote:I don't have the man page installed.
This bug has been fixed in commit c9a8731. That commit also works around formatting bugs in argp's and help2man's output.
Giorgos wrote:What keys should be used, instead of Home and Page UP (for jumping left and right)?
As described in chapter 2 ("Movements") of MININIM's manual, to perform a normal jump to left or right you may either:
  1. combine the horizontal and the up arrows
  2. use the 7 or 9 keys of the numeric key pad
  3. push joystick's directional stick 45 or 135 degrees
  4. push joystick's directional stick left or right while pressing button 0 (usually Playstation's triangle).
Don't hesitate to bring up any further problem you might face.
Thanks for testing MININIM!
MININIM author
Giorgos
Efendi
Efendi

Post by Giorgos »

Oh I didn't notice!
THANKS!!! :D