SDLPoP with custom music

Open-source port of PoP that runs natively on Windows, Linux, etc.
kj-5349
Sultan
Sultan

SDLPoP with custom music

Post by kj-5349 »

Hi there
This is a package with modified music - namely tracks from Chrono Trigger SNES as I recently tried out the game and it had decent music.
I was just trying this out as I always wanted to experiment making a PoP game with custom music (modifying the DOS version was tricky with PR, works only with PoP 1.3 and then only MIDI songs).
No modified levels or graphics, the only change is the music {but with the songs adding abt 18mb in size).
SDLPoP with custom music

If aspiring modders for SDLPoP wishing to add music to their mods can try out what I did.
Simply google 'ogg converter' or 'convert to ogg'. I found a decent online converter aconvert.com that can convert and trim songs.
With this, you may even choose to use your favourite rock/rap/pop song (or even RickRoll) as "intro_theme.ogg" and watch it play at your starting screen ;)
scape
Efendi
Efendi

Re: SDLPoP with custom music

Post by scape »

This is cool, is there any way to have it play the music throughout the level?
kj-5349
Sultan
Sultan

Post by kj-5349 »

scape wrote: October 8th, 2017, 9:19 am This is cool,
Thanks, glad you enjoyed it :)
scape wrote: October 8th, 2017, 9:19 am ... is there any way to have it play the music throughout the level?
I may not be able to help much, but there was a discussion that the music can be played in Level 1
viewtopic.php?f=105&t=3825#p18731
At that time it was possibly referring to the DOS version and involves hex-editing (too technical for me). I haven't tried this out for SDLPoP yet.

By default, if no changes are done - just changing 'find mirror and find shadow.ogg' to a 2-3 minute song forces the Prince to crouch for that long.
Unfortunately BGM might not be doable in Level 2 and beyond...
Falcury
Calif
Calif

Post by Falcury »

kj-5349 wrote: October 10th, 2017, 8:33 pm just changing 'find mirror and find shadow.ogg' to a 2-3 minute song forces the Prince to crouch for that long.
Also, Jaffar is forced to stand in this position for several minutes while the music finishes playing :lol:
screenshot.png
screenshot.png (10.6 KiB) Viewed 7896 times
kj-5349
Sultan
Sultan

Post by kj-5349 »

I'm updating the 2 packages of custom music
- as there were file errors when using the aconvert site for OGG conversions, particularly the 2nd pack
- since SDLPoP 1.18.1 had the music folder blanked and the default music is the MIDISND dat files
For convenience you now only have to unzip these files onto the music folder.

The 1st custom music set, mainly Chrono Trigger tunes
Chrono_Trigger_-_custom_music_SDLPoP_1.18.1

2nd custom music pack, of various video game OSTs
Custom_music_2_various_-_SDLPoP_1.18.1

Pointers to casual or new SDLPoP users - these packages have no SDLPoP files, only music files as the latest SDLPoP does not include the OGG music. Conveniently, just go ahead to unzip the files to the pathway SDLPoP-1.18.1 > data > music
And enjoy :)
Norbert
The Prince of Persia
The Prince of Persia

Post by Norbert »

It would be useful if readme.txt gave more exact information about the songs used.
For example: intro_theme.ogg: Corridors of Time
Enjoyable music.
kj-5349
Sultan
Sultan

Post by kj-5349 »

This is the list. The song names are based on the titles I got from the emuparadise site.
The name arrangements are actually from the 'names' txt within SDLPoP Interestingly the soundtrack was included in [wikipedia link](1995)
kj-5349
Sultan
Sultan

Post by kj-5349 »

Hi everyone, this is another custom music pack. Most of the songs are from the SNES RPG game Lufia 2 Rise of the Sinistrals. The Readme lists the OST names with every song changed except for floating. (For the Floating track, I forgot the original time length and would prefer to leave it unchanged as some mods are played with the song length being used to navigate through some trick-heavy or bug-exploiting mods)

SDLPoP__Custom_Music_Lufia2

I stumbled upon the SDLPoP JP version, and am testing out as you can play and experiment around and enjoy the background music while playing the level, no longer just the tunes for specific game events previously. I have recent ideas like updating or probably upgrading my conversion mods SNES and Split Levels to be played in SDLPoP and with added background tunes.

To use this pack, its the same drill to unzip it and paste according to the pathway SDLPoP-1.XX > data > music
And enjoy :D
kj-5349
Sultan
Sultan

Post by kj-5349 »

In addition to the Lufia 2 music package, I have added in Popot the following, mainly using SDLPoP JP to include background music to the existing DOS mods.

SNES Remnants
PoP2 Split Levels
8-in-1 SDLPoP JP

For the 8 in 1 package, please unzip the package and then open the batch file to start playing. Time limit has been disabled so there would be no time pressure. The batch files also starts the cheats version of the mods. Music are from various games.

SNES Remnants and PoP2 Split Levels have background music as allowed by the Japanese SDLPoP. Enjoy ;)
DridiSara123
Sheikh
Sheikh

Post by DridiSara123 »

Hello. So I'm using the KJ's 8 in 1 SDLPoP JP pack, and I want a different background music to play from Level 2 onwards. I've created data\music\Level2.ogg for this purpose, but unfortunately, Level 2 still plays the background music from Level1.ogg. Does anyone know what I should do? Is there a configuration INI file somewhere that I can modify? Unfortunately, I'm a beginner when it comes to this.
David
The Prince of Persia
The Prince of Persia

Post by David »

DridiSara123 wrote: November 30th, 2023, 2:57 am Hello. So I'm using the KJ's 8 in 1 SDLPoP JP pack, and I want a different background music to play from Level 2 onwards. I've created data\music\Level2.ogg for this purpose, but unfortunately, Level 2 still plays the background music from Level1.ogg. Does anyone know what I should do? Is there a configuration INI file somewhere that I can modify? Unfortunately, I'm a beginner when it comes to this.
The music tracks are assigned to levels in src\seg000.c, in the play_bgm function.
You have to edit that, and then recompile the game.
DridiSara123
Sheikh
Sheikh

Post by DridiSara123 »

The music tracks are assigned to levels in src\seg000.c, in the play_bgm function.
You have to edit that, and then recompile the game.
I will try to compile, but since I've tried to compile SDLPop before and it never worked for me, I wanted to ask which compilation program is best suited for reliable and error-free compilation?
David
The Prince of Persia
The Prince of Persia

Post by David »

DridiSara123 wrote: December 3rd, 2023, 5:13 pm I will try to compile, but since I've tried to compile SDLPop before and it never worked for me, I wanted to ask which compilation program is best suited for reliable and error-free compilation?
I use Dev-C++.
Instructions are here: https://github.com/NagyD/SDLPoP#dev-c