SDLPoP Built-in level editor

Open-source port of PoP that runs natively on Windows, Linux, etc.
poirot
Developer
Developer

Re: SDLPoP Built-in level editor

Post by poirot »

I've seen that the m bit is also used in the palace environment to add the foreground blue design line.
David
The Prince of Persia
The Prince of Persia

Post by David »

poirot wrote:I've seen that the m bit is also used in the palace environment to add the foreground blue design line.
Isn't that done by the "BG" byte? (But that's frequently called "modifier".)

For palace empty tiles, BG=0 means "no line", and BG=1 means "with line".
For palace floors and walls, it's the opposite: BG=0 means "with line", and BG=1 means "no line".
BG=2 is the special pattern for both empty and floor tiles.
For doortops, BG=1 means "with line", BG=2 means "no line". (And BG=0 means "with arch part".)

As for the other tiles, they either always have the blue line, or never, depending on what tile is it.
poirot
Developer
Developer

Post by poirot »

David wrote:
poirot wrote:I've seen that the m bit is also used in the palace environment to add the foreground blue design line.
Isn't that done by the "BG" byte? (But that's frequently called "modifier".)

For palace empty tiles, BG=0 means "no line", and BG=1 means "with line".
For palace floors and walls, it's the opposite: BG=0 means "with line", and BG=1 means "no line".
BG=2 is the special pattern for both empty and floor tiles.
For doortops, BG=1 means "with line", BG=2 means "no line". (And BG=0 means "with arch part".)

As for the other tiles, they either always have the blue line, or never, depending on what tile is it.
Oh, I've used the bit in the FG and it worked too... I've created a lot of levels that way
emrtss
Efendi
Efendi

Post by emrtss »

If I understand correctly, the editor comes with the latest versions of SDLPop?
Norbert
The Prince of Persia
The Prince of Persia

Post by Norbert »

emrtss wrote:If I understand correctly, the editor comes with the latest versions of SDLPop?
The most recent official release, of January 2nd, is version 1.16.
That version does not yet include the level editing capabilities.

The editor is included in poirot's fork of SDLPoP.
https://github.com/ecalot/SDLPoP

And in the editor branch of David's SDLPoP repository.
https://github.com/NagyD/SDLPoP/tree/editor

If you have the technical skills... On the aforelinked pages, you can use the "Download ZIP" button to get the source code. (Or use git.) On Windows you'd then use Dev-C++ to compile and link this code. This is a similar process as described in the "(RE)COMPILING" section of apoplexy's docs/README.txt file.

If you lack the technical skills... You'll probably have to wait for a 1.17 release of SDLPoP. David basically decides when it arrives, and one of the factors that will influence his decision will be the amount - and kind - of changes that were made to SDLPoP by poirot (and himself, Falcury, and others). Alternatively, you could ask for a precompiled Windows binary of the most recent work-in-progress to be attached to a forum post. Such "bleeding edge" versions have been attached to posts in the past (example).
swit
Scholar Scribe
Scholar Scribe

Post by swit »

any news when (if?) the editor will be back? I've tried to run it from 1.14 up to the newest 1.17 and the editor seems to be missing in all these versions. If the editor has been scraped I'd like to request a link to compiled windows version of poirot's fork.
Falcury
Calif
Calif

Post by Falcury »

Here's an updated editor build.
Other minor changes that I made just now (not final, just proposed):
  • Executable name: editor.exe
  • Changed the version name from "1.17" to "1.17 - editor" to distinguish from the normal editorless version
  • Changed the text of the splash screen, to give better info that's specific to the editor, and to redirect people to the documentation in doc/Editor.txt.
  • Made replays incompatible on purpose. The savestate size is different because the editor increases the number of rooms per level. (If you tried to use different-size savestates in another version, the game would crash, so gracefully giving an error message is better.)
Attachments
SDLPoP editor 2017-04-29.zip
(4.82 MiB) Downloaded 60 times