Draw your sword anywhere

Open-source port of PoP that runs natively on Windows, Linux, etc.
David
The Prince of Persia
The Prince of Persia

Draw your sword anywhere

Post by David »

atrueprincefanfrom18 wrote: September 6th, 2020, 3:06 pm P.S: Is it possible in SDLPoP to draw a sword without a guard shown? Meaning, can Kid draw his sword at his own wish? Maybe so we can check if the bug (of going through the gate when sword is in action) exists in original PoP? I think it would do, because if you can get through wall when you are in combat, if you can get through a gate when a guard pushes you, technically you should be able to replicate the same bug in PoP1.

My humble request to David: if you get some free time, could you change the code so Kid can draw the sword at his wish? I know it's a lot of work, but I am curious to know if we can replicate the same in PoP1! :)
Done on a new branch: https://github.com/NagyD/SDLPoP/commit/ ... a67115cba9
I assigned this action to Ctrl, so it doesn't clash with other actions.

draw_sword_anywhere_small.png
draw_sword_anywhere_small.png (7.04 KiB) Viewed 2936 times
atrueprincefanfrom18
Site Shah
Site Shah

Re: PoP2 bugs

Post by atrueprincefanfrom18 »

Thank you so much David!

And yes, as I had expected, the bug is intact and can allow you to go through gates from both sides.

Interesting! Maybe I'll share a video if I find more interesting stuff. :)
Love to create new MODS :)

My complete list of mods until now!

My channel. Do consider subscribing it! :)
atrueprincefanfrom18
Site Shah
Site Shah

Yes, very interesting, I think you can add this feature in SDLPoP.ini. You can go through gates (see the 'More:' of the post, for more info) and also good idea to draw the sword at your will. I really liked it, and it completed my dream of killing the mouse with sword once to see the what happens to the game!

Finally, it also explains this. Thanks again for the feature! :)

More: Actually, you can still go through the gates if you are in combat, but the problem is that the game thinks that the combat is done and puts the sword back. However, you are still visible to the guard, so the guard comes forward and kills the Kid (don't really know what would happen if you do it with lot of distance from the guard). With this feature, as you no longer put the sword automatically, the guard doesn't come forward and kill you. I'll still try if you can do it without this feature enabled, maybe stepping silently, or something like that.

Edit: No... It doesn't work :(

P.S: Before this topic goes missing, it would be a good idea to put the posts from this post to a new topic. Maybe under SDLPoP?

atrueprincefanfrom18
Site Shah
Site Shah

And yes, also possible to do this easily:

Norbert
The Prince of Persia
The Prince of Persia

Post by Norbert »

David wrote: September 12th, 2020, 4:18 pmI assigned this action to Ctrl, so it doesn't clash with other actions.
Not with other actions, but it does clash with other key-combos.
For example, if a user would start recording (Ctrl+Tab), the prince would draw his sword.
And a full level screenshot (Ctrl+Shift+F12) would show the prince with a drawn sword.

It's an interesting feature though, if this would be a toggleable option.

Err, maybe a bit complicated, but could this be a solution...
You might be able to check upon Ctrl release whether or not another (non-action) key was pressed from the time Ctrl was pressed down.
And if not, then draw the sword.
atrueprincefanfrom18
Site Shah
Site Shah

Norbert wrote: September 13th, 2020, 10:07 am Err, maybe a bit complicated, but could this be a solution...
You might be able to check upon Ctrl release whether or not another (non-action) key was pressed from the time Ctrl was pressed down.
And if not, then draw the sword.
Yes, I noticed that, but forgot to mention it. And I think that's why PoP2's all actions (like saving the game and loading the game, etc.) was done with Alt.

And, if it's difficult to modify now, you could just change it to Alt, as Alt key is not used anywhere in the PoP1.

David
The Prince of Persia
The Prince of Persia

Post by David »

atrueprincefanfrom18 wrote: September 12th, 2020, 7:15 pm P.S: Before this topic goes missing, it would be a good idea to put the posts from this post to a new topic. Maybe under SDLPoP?
Done.
atrueprincefanfrom18 wrote: September 13th, 2020, 10:54 am And, if it's difficult to modify now, you could just change it to Alt, as Alt key is not used anywhere in the PoP1.
Done: https://github.com/NagyD/SDLPoP/commit/ ... 0ff1b80d5e
dmitrys
Developer
Developer

Re: Draw your sword anywhere

Post by dmitrys »

I have noticed when implementing a very similar functionality in my mod is that it makes fighting Jaffar even easier due to an unreasonably long delay before he starts fighting.

David
The Prince of Persia
The Prince of Persia

Re: Draw your sword anywhere

Post by David »

I added record and replay support for the Alt key.
https://github.com/NagyD/SDLPoP/commit/ ... 63a38b989b