NESPrincEd

Everything related to the Nintendo Entertainment System.
David
The Prince of Persia
The Prince of Persia

NESPrincEd

Post by David »

NESPrincEd's official (Russian) forum thread: http://www.emu-land.net/forum/index.php ... 532.0.html
NESPrincEd's popot.org page: http://www.popot.org/level_editors.php? ... NESPrincEd

- - - - - - - - - -

I tried this editor.
It's fairly good, but some features are missing (see below).

The edit level layout dialog could show what buttons do what.
arrows: move
+: place new room
-: delete room
space: move room

I can't find a way to edit door links. This is odd because when I select a button or door, the editor shows which gates or buttons are linked to it.
Furthermore, at View->Memory usage..., there is a "remove extra data and unused links" button which (according to the dialog that pops up) removes "unused links which pointed to non-door nor non-buttons objects".
So the editor knows how to read and write door links, but there is no way to edit them. Strange.

In the Mirror behavior dialog, I can't check the "Enable mirror" checkbox. By the way, I think it refers to the shadow. (In this version he looks exactly like the prince, so he is more like a mirror image.)

There are some limitations in the game itself, of how many animated tiles can be in a room (potion, spike, chomper, gate, torch, loose floor).
If you put too much of these in a room, the screen may become corrupted or the game may hang.

[Edit: Added some links at the top of this post, and made it sticky. --Norbert]
Norbert
The Prince of Persia
The Prince of Persia

Re: NESPrincEd

Post by Norbert »

David wrote:I can't find a way to edit door links. This is odd because when I select a button or door, the editor shows which gates or buttons are linked to it.
Furthermore, at View->Memory usage..., there is a "remove extra data and unused links" button which (according to the dialog that pops up) removes "unused links which pointed to non-door nor non-buttons objects".
So the editor knows how to read and write door links, but there is no way to edit them. Strange.
Ctrl + left mouse button (twice for drop events).
Quite a nice solution. :)
David
The Prince of Persia
The Prince of Persia

Post by David »

Ah, thanks!
It's easier to use than the doorlink editors in most other level editors... if you can find it!

Interestingly, the type of event (open/close) depends not on the button, but on the link.
Also, the exit door is opened by only those buttons that say "exit". And you don't have to link them to the exit door.
However, the button on level 4 is not marked exit, but it opens the level door. Strange.

Open buttons that are marked with an infinity symbol mean that the doors won't close by themselves (i.e. they stay open infinitely long).
There are some of those buttons on levels 7, 8, 9, 10, 12, 14.

Level 10: room 3 and 12 can't be placed.
These are used for the starting level, where you can choose "new game" or "continue" (room 3), and the room where you can use your password (room 12).
Kaslghnoon
Sultan
Sultan

Post by Kaslghnoon »

David wrote:Level 10: room 3 and 12 can't be placed.
These are used for the starting level, where you can choose "new game" or "continue" (room 3), and the room where you can use your password (room 12).
So that's why level 10 has 3 exits! I came across this mystery about a decade ago and was never able to solve it on my own.
Attachments
01122014.rar
(254.65 KiB) Downloaded 293 times
David
The Prince of Persia
The Prince of Persia

Post by David »

Wow! How did you do climb up to nothing? (Cheats or hex-edit, I guess?)

Wait, you knew that there are 3 exits, but you didn't know they are the rooms of the starting level?

I found the "official" site (forum topic) of the editor: (Russian) http://www.emu-land.net/forum/index.php ... 0/all.html
It has a newer version (1.1.0).
This newer version:
- shows how to change the door links,
- has a keys legend in the layout editor,
- has a text editor,
- has a password generator,
- allows you to select a level by double clicking on it in the select level dialog,
- fixed the "Tools->Mirror behavior..." dialog,
- added an option to edit the remaining time,
- shows the name of the opened file, and the country code of the ROM.

The page also has some mods.
Kaslghnoon
Sultan
Sultan

Post by Kaslghnoon »

I altered the function of the 'B' button on the ROM: 0x1F655 => 0A to force the blind climbing. About 10 years ago I used the B-button climb to navigate through some levels and one day I discovered what you see in the video. After spending many hours attempting to magically enter one of these forbidden rooms of level 10 without cheating, I became open to the possibility that it was a secret to be discovered only by people like us, similar to the cheat password in the Konami version of the SNES PoP1...

I must admit that the starting level's room links, the potion, the drop button exit, they were all completely wasted on me. If it weren't for you solving this mystery, I would still enter my 91092032 password and try to figure out the "trick" to gain access to those rooms once or twice a year. It couldn't get more ironic than this.
David
The Prince of Persia
The Prince of Persia

Post by David »

Is this called "hidden in plain sight"?
Though the starting level is dungeon, level 10 is palace, but this difference is not so big...
Anyway, I'm glad I could help you figure it out!
Norbert
The Prince of Persia
The Prince of Persia

Post by Norbert »

New version 2.0 was released by ALXR.
announcement video
download
It now uses graphics from the ROM.
According to this post (and other posts), the current basic (or "lite") version edits 128 kB ROMs, while a future extended version will also edit 256 kB ROMs.