Snes room for android emulator...

Discuss PoP1 for SNES here.
salvadorc17
Calif
Calif

Snes room for android emulator...

Post by salvadorc17 »

Hi, im back Happy new year... i have tried this snes rooms modified for my android emulator called Snesdroid, and i got some black screen when trying to load custom levels with different pallete, also i want to ask if there is a way to port the snes editor for the Android platform...
David
The Prince of Persia
The Prince of Persia

Re: Snes room for android emulator...

Post by David »

salvadorc17 wrote: i have tried this snes rooms modified for my android emulator called Snesdroid, and i got some black screen when trying to load custom levels with different pallete,
Can it run modified levels that use the original palette? Or the original game?
Also, can you run the problematic ROM in other emulators?
salvadorc17 wrote: also i want to ask if there is a way to port the snes editor for the Android platform...
I have no experience with Android programming, so I'm not planning that.
(However, I see that SDL 2.0 is ported to Android, so if I rewrote the editor in SDL, then it would be easier to port. This is not a promise!)
Norbert
The Prince of Persia
The Prince of Persia

Post by Norbert »

David wrote:(However, I see that SDL 2.0 is ported to Android, so if I rewrote the editor in SDL, then it would be easier to port. This is not a promise!)
Given the application's extensive use of graphical control elements, a cross-platform widget toolkit (list) might be a better choice. Qt Designer (integrated into Qt Creator), for example, can create dialogs and menus and such, and Qt works on all main desktop and mobile platforms. Qt is used for VLC, VirtualBox, Mumble, Skype, and so on. Either way, would it be worth the investment of time and energy to rewrite the application... The rewriting experience may be rewarding in itself, but I'd be cautious when it comes to other expectations (like an increased number of users, seeing how most people can already use Pr1SnesLevEd). What would be your primary motivation?
salvadorc17
Calif
Calif

Post by salvadorc17 »

Can it run modified levels that use the original palette? Or the original game?
Also, can you run the problematic ROM in other emulators?
Yes it can run modified levels without pallete changes, but for some reason the latest room i have made some pallete editing and hex editing do not run in the Snesdroid... And of course i can run this modified into my znes emulator for pc...
David
The Prince of Persia
The Prince of Persia

Post by David »

Norbert wrote: What would be your primary motivation?
I just mentioned that because salvadorc17 asked about porting to Android.
But I'm not actually planning porting the editor.
(Of course, Android means touch-screen, so that would be even more work...)
salvadorc17 wrote: Yes it can run modified levels without pallete changes, but for some reason the latest room i have made some pallete editing and hex editing do not run in the Snesdroid... And of course i can run this modified into my znes emulator for pc...
Please upload the problematic ROM, so we can look at it.

I don't have a real Android device, but I have already downloaded the Android SDK (that contains an emulator) in 2013 (out of curiosity).
I could install Snesdroid in that, but it exited with an error "External Storage not mounted, are you in disk mode?".
So I added a virtual SD card to the emulated device, and copied some PoP SNES ROMs onto it.
But ever since that, the apps menu won't open, it just loads forever. Weird...
Norbert
The Prince of Persia
The Prince of Persia

Post by Norbert »

David wrote:I just mentioned that because salvadorc17 asked about porting to Android.
But I'm not actually planning porting the editor.
Your "This is not a promise!" reminded me of your "I can't promise when (or whether) I will continue with the other parts." about what would become SDLPoP. ;) I now understand that what you meant was something along the lines of 'Do not interpret this as...' or (as you wrote later) "I'm not actually planning porting the editor." Yeah, life is (too) short. Plus, SDLPoP still needs music. :lol:
salvadorc17
Calif
Calif

Post by salvadorc17 »

Ok, i have some news now, i have edited my room with the latest version of the prince snes level editor and now it works great on the Snesdroid emulator, i can play my modified room, that has invincible guards, and try to complete it...