Trick differences between SNES and DOS

Discuss PoP1 for SNES here.
David
The Prince of Persia
The Prince of Persia

Trick differences between SNES and DOS

Post by David »

A while ago I was playing some SNES mod and noticed that tricks 13 and 36 don't work on SNES: the kid falls down with the loose floor.
Interestingly, tricks 8, 46 and 63 seem to work, even though all of these show climbing up from loose floors.
The apparent differences are:
13,36: kid bumps into wall, touches only one loose floor.
8,46,63: no wall, kid touches two loose floors.

Does anyone know other tricks that don't work on the SNES, or work only there?
salvadorc17
Calif
Calif

Re: Trick differences between SNES and DOS

Post by salvadorc17 »

Yes thats right, i have tested some tricks with the loose bricks, but the prince falls so fast, i think gravity is improved on snes version...
salvadorc17
Calif
Calif

Post by salvadorc17 »

This are teleport tricsk for snes...

David
The Prince of Persia
The Prince of Persia

Post by David »

Interesting.

I see the prince sometimes suddenly appears at the other side of the screen, similar to this: viewtopic.php?p=15005#p15005
The falling loose floor is probably related to this: viewtopic.php?p=6224#p6224 (the "Another strange thing" part)

There are some parts that I don't understand.
For example: at the end, the kid seems to appear in wall, and then many different rooms are shown.

Will this be part of some mod?
salvadorc17
Calif
Calif

Post by salvadorc17 »

That final part was an unexpected bug, and yes it is part of my level pack training lessons:

viewtopic.php?f=116&t=3478

NITM-T
Sultan
Sultan

Post by NITM-T »

hey guys! Sorry to press R in this thread again, but I think is better than create a new one since this one is about Tricks for SNES version.
Check this trick with a guard and a skeleton where they are in near rooms:

You guys could try it on DOS version, I mean, the first one. The second trick is old. We can do something alike on original game in the level 7, but since is done with 2 guards, nothing happens because the game doesn't support 2 guards in the same room.
So, can you guess how to do it? I did it by accident while was making another hahaha. Anyway, the hint is here:
Spoiler: show
If you take damage and fall to the room below AND if the guard walks while you're falling, the skeleton will continue his steps. So, you need to put tiles in the row below (row 2 in the same room) where you or the guard could walk after fall, got it?
Also, I made a playlist with a lot of tricks that we can do it on SNES and a few them, I called "X" like these two because they doesn't has numbers neither videos on Popot site. This X also serves to say that it is a variation from a existent trick like the 102:

The last trick is pretty cool! First time I saw it, was by elveskz with my Shadow's Story mod in his tutorial video. Never guess it before! The trick I use there also it is in this video.

there're a few of them that I did not make them, like these ones: 3, 56, 57, 59 and 60. They looks like techniques for me, you know? No need a special spot or something... Anyway, don't mind that. Some people who plays my mods has lots of trouble when trying to do DOS tricks on SNES version, so I did them to make they path easier, heh.
Think about the trick 110. Since DOS' tiles are wider than SNES's, we can slide like that, but on SNES, it's hard. So, to do it, just go to the edge, turn around, press Up and run. Pretty simple. Maybe work for DOS too, but never try to do a DOS mod...

You guys remember when I talked about the skeleton survive after fall without that "skull?" option from the original level 3? Check it out:

I love this trick :D Now we can do it easier thanks to David, but tricks still pretty good to do them ;)
May the Moon light your path.
Norbert
The Prince of Persia
The Prince of Persia

Post by Norbert »

I've added one of your tricks to popot.org and here.

In level 3 of the original game, when meeting the skeleton a second time, with the right circumstances, it indeed walks forward by itself.
As you've shown, this can be used for a trick. Seems nobody used this in a mod yet.
NITM-T wrote: June 12th, 2018, 2:11 pmMaybe work for DOS too, [...]
Yes, works.
I've added a text that mentions this alternative under that trick.
NITM-T
Sultan
Sultan

Post by NITM-T »

Norbert wrote: June 12th, 2018, 8:44 pm I've added one of your tricks to popot.org and here.
All right! Changed the "X" to Trick 119.
Norbert wrote: June 12th, 2018, 8:44 pm In level 3 of the original game, when meeting the skeleton a second time, with the right circumstances, it indeed walks forward by itself.
As you've shown, this can be used for a trick. Seems nobody used this in a mod yet.
Yeah, you're right. That was a bonus for SNES version, I guess... (I don't know if there another versions with more rooms and that is like this one, I didn't play all of them). Something alike goes if you knock it down by the left side at first time. It'll show up in the row 1 tile 14 without problem thanks to that "skel cont" option. (I said "skull?" before, but this is another option. Sorry for that).
Norbert wrote: June 12th, 2018, 8:44 pm Yes, works.
I've added a text that mentions this alternative under that trick.
Heh, this was already expected. I just wanted to make sure.
We can do good tricks on DOS version with just one loose and those doesn't work for SNES. They fall faster than DOS'. So, we lost a nice stuff... But we can do new ones there instead ;)
David
The Prince of Persia
The Prince of Persia

Post by David »

SNES level 18 has this jump:
SNES_level_18_jump.png
SNES_level_18_jump.png (9.78 KiB) Viewed 7393 times
The floor above the gate is loose and you must not grab it.
You must fall past it and grab the floor of the gate instead.
However, this is not possible in the DOS version if this level is remade there.

https://www.popot.org/custom_levels.php?mod=0000042 (level 11)
In SNES-PC-set mod, the room was copied without changes.
I have tried to make the jump a few times, but it's not possible here.

https://www.popot.org/custom_levels.php?mod=0000011 (level 11)
In the SNES Levels mod, a regular floor was added below the loose floor.
The prince will simply land on that floor after the jump.
David
The Prince of Persia
The Prince of Persia

Post by David »

David wrote: June 27th, 2020, 12:41 pm The floor above the gate is loose and you must not grab it.
You must fall past it and grab the floor of the gate instead.
However, this is not possible in the DOS version if this level is remade there.

https://www.popot.org/custom_levels.php?mod=0000042 (level 11)
In SNES-PC-set mod, the room was copied without changes.
I have tried to make the jump a few times, but it's not possible here.
Curiously, with a simple change it becomes possible to grab the floor of the gate: Just add a room in the bottom-left corner of this room!
(Since this level uses all 24 rooms, you need to move an existing room there.)
The added room should have walls in its rightmost column.

So apparently, a wall which is part of an actual existing room will behave differently from a wall which comes from "room 0" (left edge of level).

EDIT: This is Trick 3 by the way.
Last edited by David on July 16th, 2020, 9:17 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Added link to trick video.
David
The Prince of Persia
The Prince of Persia

Post by David »

In the SNES version, if you do a standing jump towards a wall and fall one row, the prince will lose 1 HP when he lands.
In the DOS version, he loses a HP only if you did a running jump.

You try this for example in this room of the original level 1:
SNES_jump_at_wall.png
SNES_jump_at_wall.png (14.35 KiB) Viewed 7283 times
David
The Prince of Persia
The Prince of Persia

Post by David »

Trick 4 (guard disables spikes) doesn't seem to work on the SNES.
It's hard to see, but there is a spiked guard behind the spiked prince.
guard_does_not_disable_spikes.png
guard_does_not_disable_spikes.png (16.47 KiB) Viewed 5677 times
(This is on level 2, next to the exit.)

And somehow this guard survived falling into spikes (while the was off-screen?).
how_did_he_get_there_alive.png
how_did_he_get_there_alive.png (18.43 KiB) Viewed 5677 times
(This is on level 2 as well, under the first guard's room.)
NITM-T
Sultan
Sultan

Post by NITM-T »

Trick 4 is about reality. Prince's weight is enough to sink the guard to hurt himself.

Guards can survive if you're off-screen in both height n' spikes. Skulls can cross walls. Check these videos:

Note that in the 2nd video, I'd only do trick 16 by letting the guard kill me. Otherwise, I'd fall in the spikes. Like that, a special exit is needed.
Many tricks for DOS does't work on SNES n' SNES has exclusives ones 'cause it has new obstacles/traps as you can see here: https://ibb.co/MgtTzNw
Tricks that are together is because they're similiar. "X" ones ares the exclusives or were never tested on DOS.