Graphics and music ( snes )

Discuss PoP1 for SNES here.
spartacus735
Wise Scribe
Wise Scribe

Graphics and music ( snes )

Post by spartacus735 »

Hi , I have a question it's possible to change the graphics of background of menu ( snes version ) like : viewtopic.php?f=70&t=2937 ? (
And change the original music ? ( software , hexa etc ... )

Thank
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> http://www.youtube.com/user/spartacus735 <<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<< the channel of prince of persia snes mod
spartacus735
Wise Scribe
Wise Scribe

Re: Graphics and music ( snes )

Post by spartacus735 »

anyone ?
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> http://www.youtube.com/user/spartacus735 <<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<< the channel of prince of persia snes mod
Norbert
The Prince of Persia
The Prince of Persia

Post by Norbert »

In theory it's possible.
You'd need a tool like PR but for the SNES version.
Such a tool would be a lot of work to make, preceded by additional research into the SNES format.
Another possibility would be a recreation of the full SNES game using separate resources, then it would be easy to change them.
Don't expect either of those things soon (or, probably more precise, ever)...
David
The Prince of Persia
The Prince of Persia

Post by David »

Exporting is already possible. See here: viewtopic.php?p=11368#p11368
Importing is a different thing.
The main biggest problem when importing is that the game uses tiled graphics.
- Sprites: Each sprite has its own tiles, so it's not a big problem.
- Screens: Again, each full-screen image uses its own set of tiles. In fact, most of them look like they were automatically converted into tiled graphics.
However, supporting more than 16 colors is tricky.
- Level graphics: This is the hardest part. They are limited to 256 (or 512) tiles. (I mean the 8*8 pixel tiles.)
You would have to use a tile-based editor, because if you use a regular bitmap editor, the image might contain more than 256 (512) different 8*8 pixel tiles.

As for the music, I don't know much about its format. It seems to be similar to the PLAY statement on the ZX Spectrum, though.
Some info about the SPC (including the format of sound samples) can be found here: http://emureview.ztnet.com/developersco ... PU/spc.htm.

(By the way, I recently improved the SNES format page.)
Norbert
The Prince of Persia
The Prince of Persia

Post by Norbert »

David wrote:(By the way, I recently improved the SNES format page.)
Cool.
Kaslghnoon/David, does that Wiki page include the various discoveries mentioned by Kaslghnoon in this thread?
Including the "Advanced hacking" in the first post and things mentioned in other posts, like how to "Disable battle music"?
(If not, maybe we can - for now - link to certain forum thread posts from the Wiki?)

In the chat, Iso advises robert to switch over to Kaslghnoon's hacked ROM.
Does this mean it would be useful/best if I'd also add that hacked ROM here and basically say: if you want to create a mod, use this hacked ROM?
Are the offsets and hex values mentioned on the Wiki page compatible with the hacked ROM?
I'm hoping it's possible to prevent mod authors from having to switch to another ROM, because if I understand it correctly, robert will now need to recreate all his work using another ROM?
David
The Prince of Persia
The Prince of Persia

Post by David »

Norbert wrote:Cool.
Kaslghnoon/David, does that Wiki page include the various discoveries mentioned by Kaslghnoon in this thread?
Including the "Advanced hacking" in the first post and things mentioned in other posts, like how to "Disable battle music"?
(If not, maybe we can - for now - link to certain forum thread posts from the Wiki?)
It doesn't, currently.
I'm not sure they belong to the same page.
The SNES format page describes the format of the resource data, and can be compared to the DAT format specification.
The Hacking the SNES ROM topic describes modifications to the executable code (or data embedded in code), and it's more similar to the prince.exe hex editing thread. They don't describe a format in the strict sense.
Norbert wrote: In the chat, Iso advises robert to switch over to Kaslghnoon's hacked ROM.
Does this mean it would be useful/best if I'd also add that hacked ROM here and basically say: if you want to create a mod, use this hacked ROM?
Are the offsets and hex values mentioned on the Wiki page compatible with the hacked ROM?
I'm hoping it's possible to prevent mod authors from having to switch to another ROM, because if I understand it correctly, robert will now need to recreate all his work using another ROM?
Starting from offset 0x17A40, the "advanced" rom and the original (Europe/USA) rom are identical. The first resource table starts at 0x20000.
Therefore, they are compatible regarding the resources.
In fact, Kaslghnoon even posted some instructions about copying "modified level designs, graphics, and edited palette work to the 0.smc version", which instructs to copy data from offset 0x20000 into the hacked rom, at the same offset. (Robert could use this!)
Kaslghnoon
Sultan
Sultan

Post by Kaslghnoon »

Norbert wrote: Does this mean it would be useful/best if I'd also add that hacked ROM here and basically say: if you want to create a mod, use this hacked ROM?
As long as you don't mind that 0.smc is only available in a U.S/Konami version and not the Japanese/Masaya... Otherwise it'd be better to wait for the release of a region-free IPS patch.
Norbert
The Prince of Persia
The Prince of Persia

Post by Norbert »

Kaslghnoon wrote:Otherwise it'd be better to wait for the release of a region-free IPS patch.
I've created an IPS for the US version just for fun, no idea how to make it region-free...
Attachments
0.ips
IPS for the headerless, hacked ROM.
(2.41 KiB) Downloaded 77 times
Kaslghnoon
Sultan
Sultan

Post by Kaslghnoon »

Norbert wrote:I've created an IPS for the US version just for fun, no idea how to make it region-free...
That's it. The one you created works on all 3 headerless versions of the ROM and therefore it is region-free.
Norbert wrote:Does this mean it would be useful/best if I'd also add that hacked ROM here and basically say: if you want to create a mod, use this hacked ROM?
Since you've kindly removed the header from all the mods, replace "hacked ROM" with "IPS patch" and we're good to go.
Norbert
The Prince of Persia
The Prince of Persia

Post by Norbert »

Okay, thanks.
The web page now mentions the IPS patch.
Norbert
The Prince of Persia
The Prince of Persia

Post by Norbert »

I've moved this thread from the "Princed Resources (PR)" board to the "Prince of Persia 1 for SNES" board.