How to extract sprites (tiles) from the SNES version?

Discuss PoP1 for SNES here.
Andrew
Wise Scribe
Wise Scribe

Re: How to extract sprites (tiles) from the SNES version?

Post by Andrew »

PHP is a programming (scripting) language. If you install it via the link given, you can run David's program. Otherwise just wait for someone (mk1995 perhaps) to post the censored sprites.
mk1995
The Prince of Persia
The Prince of Persia

Post by mk1995 »

Someone have a DLL called "WS2_32.dll" that enables me to use PHP?
Just to make something clear: I will not reply to daft PMs like "Where can I find X?" or "Can you give me a link to Y?". Most of your questions are likely answerable if only you took your bloody time to look through these forums and use Google if all else fails. Sheesh...
Veke
Wise Scribe
Wise Scribe

Post by Veke »

Oh come on... you could just have Googled it. Next time you need a DLL file download it from this site
http://www.dll-files.com/dllindex/dll-f ... tml?ws2_32
Eagle-Head Priest 97
Wise Scribe
Wise Scribe

Post by Eagle-Head Priest 97 »

Andrew wrote:PHP is a programming (scripting) language. If you install it via the link given, you can run David's program. Otherwise just wait for someone (mk1995 perhaps) to post the censored sprites.
In that case, could someone upload the censored sprites?
Former Member of popuw.com/forum
mk1995
The Prince of Persia
The Prince of Persia

Post by mk1995 »

Well, trying to replace the DLL ended in failure and after trying to rename it, I nearly got my PC inaccessible. I certainly won't try to extract the censored sprites, anymore.

Let's wait for David, or anybody else capable of that.
Just to make something clear: I will not reply to daft PMs like "Where can I find X?" or "Can you give me a link to Y?". Most of your questions are likely answerable if only you took your bloody time to look through these forums and use Google if all else fails. Sheesh...
David
The Prince of Persia
The Prince of Persia

Post by David »

It seems that running PHP programs is difficult for most people, so I've added the missing sprites to the download and corrected some palettes.
The link is the same: http://www.freeweb.hu/princepersia/en/s ... tes_dl.htm
Andrew wrote:If the publisher decided those images were too gory for PoP SNES, why leave the sprites behind?
Maybe they didn't know that someone will be able to extract them.
There are more unused images, like:
299: looks like an unfinished image.
300-307, 364-365: they look like they're copied from the Apple II version.
And there are many 1x1 pixel images.
Also, this is not the only game which has unused images.
mk1995
The Prince of Persia
The Prince of Persia

Post by mk1995 »

Seeing as the unused sprites had gore, the gorefest was originally intended. What bugs me though is why they didn't put gore into the Japanese version. The only way the Japanese version differs from the Western versions is the fact that the Japanese version had a torture scene (and apparently additional intro text). Speaking of intro text, I think I might get myself a ROM of the Japanese PoP and take a look at what the text says in the original Japanese release.
Eagle-Head Priest 97
Wise Scribe
Wise Scribe

David wrote:It seems that running PHP programs is difficult for most people, so I've added the missing sprites to the download and corrected some palettes.
Indeed the sprites are gory. With Jasc Animation Shop, I made a gif image of it:
http://i188.photobucket.com/albums/z161 ... adchop.gif
I wonder what the trap would've killed him if they left it in the game...
mk1995
The Prince of Persia
The Prince of Persia

Post by mk1995 »

Could've been a fatal sword strike... or a horizontal pendulum.

Edit: Imrpoved version of the beheading:
I used two more frames to "simulate" the prince's disappearing. It's hard to see if you don't look closely.

Anyhoo, I think I've got something I can use as my avatar now... :D
Veke
Wise Scribe
Wise Scribe

Post by Veke »

That's funny, maybe it's just me but it looks like his torso stays on his knees a moment too long...
mk1995
The Prince of Persia
The Prince of Persia

Post by mk1995 »

'Twas not my fault. I used each frame only once (except for the last frame, which I used three times to make the Prince "disappear").
Eagle-Head Priest 97
Wise Scribe
Wise Scribe

mk1995 wrote:Could've been a fatal sword strike... or a horizontal pendulum.

Edit: Imrpoved version of the beheading:
I used two more frames to "simulate" the prince's disappearing. It's hard to see if you don't look closely.

Anyhoo, I think I've got something I can use as my avatar now... :D
Nice
mk1995
The Prince of Persia
The Prince of Persia

Post by mk1995 »

Taking a second look, without seeing something cutting his head off, it looks kinda weird. It looks more like some invisible hands ripped off his head and threw it away... :?
OrSpeeder
Sheikh
Sheikh

Post by OrSpeeder »

It is because you are not seeing the entire scene...

This probably happens when you was running and hit the trap, the head falls forward because intertia.
Also the time that it stays kneeling has two reasons: It look more dramatic, and it follows Disney's animation theory.

I believe that the trap intended here was the same trap that exists on PoP2 where a blade stick out of the wall, since on PoP1 you can not crawl yet, the intention maybe was that you kneeled below the blade, thus the blade can not be positioned on the middle of his body (otherwise it would still hit him), but on a beheading position, where you can kneel below.

Also probably this trap was not removed because the gore (other traps have a great gore potential, they only removed the blood and whatnot...), this trap was probably removed because the gameplay sucked (ie: kneel, wait, one step forward, kneel, wait... one step forward... repeat 3 times or 4 or something like that... utterly boring...)
mk1995
The Prince of Persia
The Prince of Persia

Post by mk1995 »

OrSpeeder wrote:It is because you are not seeing the entire scene...
That's just what I said.
OrSpeeder wrote:I believe that the trap intended here was the same trap that exists on PoP2 where a blade stick out of the wall, since on PoP1 you can not crawl yet, the intention maybe was that you kneeled below the blade, thus the blade can not be positioned on the middle of his body (otherwise it would still hit him), but on a beheading position, where you can kneel below.

Also probably this trap was not removed because the gore (other traps have a great gore potential, they only removed the blood and whatnot...), this trap was probably removed because the gameplay sucked (ie: kneel, wait, one step forward, kneel, wait... one step forward... repeat 3 times or 4 or something like that... utterly boring...)
'Scuse me? I think the Prince is capable of crouch-walking. I mean, look at the traps in Level 17. Those logs require you to crouch-walk, so if it would follow your theory, then you could pass the trap swiftly. Methinks the trap beheading the Prince like that would be something like that log trap, but with a blade instead of a log. Or it could've been a fatal sword strike as I stated before. Maybe if you were getting struck unarmed or so...

I do wonder though why they scrapped the impaling, though. I imagine the trap being somewhat like the firewalls from Level 11, so with that one, there would be 5 chomper-esque traps (chomper, crusher, firewall, pendulum and stake (whether it was supposed to be wooden or iron is beyond me, although I imagine it to be iron)). Guess that's why they scrapped it. I mean, it's the same trap with some variation.