How to extract sprites (tiles) from the SNES version?

Discuss PoP1 for SNES here.
empireum
Scholar Scribe
Scholar Scribe

How to extract sprites (tiles) from the SNES version?

Post by empireum »

Hello,

this is my first post here. But I assure you I love Prince of Persia (v1.0) as much as you do :)

My question is, how do I extract the sprites (tiles) from the SNES version of Prince of Persia 1? I can find nice PNGs with the sprites for the Prince as well as Jaffar and his guards (http://www.spriters-resource.com/snes/p ... index.html) but the other characters are missing - skeletons, girl, fat guard, the monster from level 17.

Now I'd like to know if it is possible to extract those missing sprites and if so, how would I do that? I'd especially like the girl's sprites. :)

Or is this not possible for some reason and thus has never been done?

Thanks in advance :)
empireum

edit: I should also add that I already tried opening my ROM image (US version, .SMC) in several tile editors such as Tile Layer Pro and others but every program just displayed weird garbage (but maybe I just fail to use it correctly). I'm guessing I miss the correct palette but I don't really know.
mk1995
The Prince of Persia
The Prince of Persia

Re: How to extract sprites (tiles) from the SNES version?

Post by mk1995 »

(Cool, noch'n Deutscher! :P)

Well, I heard about special programs that you can rip sprites and frames with, but I never came across one. An alternative would be to pause the game, take a screenshot, cut the sprite out and repeat this tedious process until you've got what you want.

Hoffentlich konnte ich helfen. (Hope I could help.)
Just to make something clear: I will not reply to daft PMs like "Where can I find X?" or "Can you give me a link to Y?". Most of your questions are likely answerable if only you took your bloody time to look through these forums and use Google if all else fails. Sheesh...
OrSpeeder
Sheikh
Sheikh

Post by OrSpeeder »

Or download totalpack, get there the mods that use SNES sprites and use PR to extract them?
Andrew
Wise Scribe
Wise Scribe

Post by Andrew »

Except those mods might have modified the sprites to make them fit the DOS version of the game. IIRC, Brain was the one who made those mods, and he had to do a lot of tweaking, editing etc. to get the sprites to fit.
empireum
Scholar Scribe
Scholar Scribe

Post by empireum »

Hello, thanks for your answers.

As for using the SNES sprites from the Total Pack, I had a look at them but found out they seemingly lack some characters I'm after (e.g. the politician etc.). I highly appreciate brain's work, the SNES sprites look great in the DOS version.

Thanks for the links, Andrew. That is more or less what I tried but the issue is this: I load the ROM into the tile viewer/editor, then load the palettes from a ZSNES saved state which shows the sprite I'm after but I still fail to find it no matter which palette I'm using. I know it is in there somewhere, I just can't find it.

mk1995: Die Welt ist klein / It's a small world. :P Thanks, that is what I resorted to for a first attempt. I used Photoshop's Magic Wand to cut the sprite out. Only issue is that Magic Wand has also removed some parts of the sprite because it uses the same colour as the background (black) so some frames are incomplete. I will try again and fiddle with the settings (have to do it again anyway because I set Snes9x to magnify the window as a larger source is easier to work with). In case anyone cares, here is the first result of that method with all glitches and shortcomings, took roughly 2 hours:

Andrew
Wise Scribe
Wise Scribe

Post by Andrew »

Did you read those tutorials? They mention using the +/- keys to locate the sprites, so you can try those. Also, if the data is compressed, then you'll need a game-specific decompressor before you can get at the sprite data, so not sure what the situation is with the SNES PoP versions. Maybe you can ask Brain how he extracted them?
David
The Prince of Persia
The Prince of Persia

Post by David »

I've extracted all the sprites from the game. You can download them here:
http://www.freeweb.hu/princepersia/en/s ... tes_dl.htm
The program used to extract them (written in PHP) is also included.
Eagle-Head Priest 97
Wise Scribe
Wise Scribe

Post by Eagle-Head Priest 97 »

Your awesome David! :P You even have the torture sprites!
Last edited by Eagle-Head Priest 97 on August 5th, 2009, 4:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Former Member of popuw.com/forum
Andrew
Wise Scribe
Wise Scribe

Post by Andrew »

Ah, there you go empireum. David's programmatic approach is the best one by far, 'cos it saves so much time and if written properly (I'm sure it is), will extract everything far better than a tedious manual approach could ever hope to achieve.

BTW David, what's that "[CENSORED]" comment in the PHP source for?
David
The Prince of Persia
The Prince of Persia

Post by David »

Andrew wrote:BTW David, what's that "[CENSORED]" comment in the PHP source for?
It means that sprites 719-745 show the prince with his head being chopped off and 746-751 shows him impaled. If you REALLY want to see that, simply comment out the line and run the program.
Btw, these images are not used by the game.
mk1995
The Prince of Persia
The Prince of Persia

Post by mk1995 »

David wrote:If you REALLY want to see that, simply comment out the line and run the program.
I haven't quite understood what I'm supposed to do. "Comment out the line and run the program"? What exactly does that mean?

Edit: Oh, I got it... It has something to do with the program itself... Silly me. :oops:

Edit2: Still one question open: How do I properly run the program? When opening it with Firefox, there's gibberish. Opening it with Internet Explorer shows the code (I already managed to edit out the [CENSORED]), but how is it run so I can extract the sprites?
Just to make something clear: I will not reply to daft PMs like "Where can I find X?" or "Can you give me a link to Y?". Most of your questions are likely answerable if only you took your bloody time to look through these forums and use Google if all else fails. Sheesh...
Andrew
Wise Scribe
Wise Scribe

Post by Andrew »

David wrote:It means that sprites 719-745 show the prince with his head being chopped off and 746-751 shows him impaled. If you REALLY want to see that, simply comment out the line and run the program. Btw, these images are not used by the game.
Cool! 8) Never knew those images existed! But I don't understand... If the publisher decided those images were too gory for PoP SNES, why leave the sprites behind? An oversight perhaps?
mk1995 wrote:Edit2: Still one question open: How do I properly run the program? When opening it with Firefox, there's gibberish. Opening it with Internet Explorer shows the code (I already managed to edit out the [CENSORED]), but how is it run so I can extract the sprites?
David wrote:The program used to extract them (written in PHP) is also included.
Have you installed PHP first? :?
mk1995
The Prince of Persia
The Prince of Persia

Post by mk1995 »

Thanks, programmer. I was about to ask for a link.

(Hey, who was the wise guy who implemented a "show new posts during writing" feature?)
Eagle-Head Priest 97
Wise Scribe
Wise Scribe

Post by Eagle-Head Priest 97 »

I'm really an idiot. I don't know the first thing about extracting the censored graphics. I don't know what php is or what. :cry:
Former Member of popuw.com/forum