How to extract sprites (tiles) from the SNES version?

Discuss PoP1 for SNES here.
David
The Prince of Persia
The Prince of Persia

Re: How to extract sprites (tiles) from the SNES version?

Post by David »

mk1995 wrote:Speaking of intro text, I think I might get myself a ROM of the Japanese PoP and take a look at what the text says in the original Japanese release.
Well, I've extracted the texts from the Japanese version:
(Sky with moon bg)
??????????????????????????????????????????
(Sky with moon bg)
??????????????????????????????????????????
(Sky with moon bg)
????????????????????????????????????????????
(Prince and princess talking)
?????????????
(Guards take away prince)
????????????????????????????????????????
(After torture)
???????????????????????????????
(After hourglass)
??????????????????????????????????????
(After hourglass)
????????????????????????????????????
(After hourglass)
???????????????????????????????
I've translated it with Google Translate and the results are:
(Sky with moon bg)
Full period of the medieval romance. The splendor of the Persian kingdom, the very people they were living happily.
(Sky with moon bg)
Once upon a time the Sultan of the princess leaving the king, went on the road to the far left to the national confidential Ja.
(Sky with moon bg)
More recently, the far-ja was an attempt to take it this is the Kingdom of the machine missed.
The young princess was in love.
Far Manager is finally having a revolt, ordered his subordinates, who were caught?RA?fun.
(After torture)
At the time, the princess was trapped on the top floor of the tower, was his great sorrow.
(After hourglass)
Far Manager is to ensure a regular power?I?TTA, SEMATTA marriage to a princess.
(After hourglass)
Or marriage, to choose death or otherwise, to be worked out after just two hours.
(After hourglass)
When I worry about the young princess is just one of the prison escape.
The intro text doesn't seem to say anything about the torture.
It's funny that Jafar is translated as far-ja or Far Manager.
????? is translated as Far Manager, but ???? is translated as Jaffa.
mk1995 wrote:The only way the Japanese version differs from the Western versions is the fact that the Japanese version had a torture scene (and apparently additional intro text).
There are some more differences:

In the Japanese version, there are five-point stars in some places, but they don't appear in the USA/Europe version.
These places are:
The upper corners of level doors on level 19.
Behind Jafar in Jafar's room on level 19.
The fighting arena on level 20.

Also, when the game is started, the USA/Europe version shows a Konami logo, while the Japanese version shows a Masiya [Edit: Masaya --Norbert] logo.

EDIT: Why do the Japanese characters change into question marks?
mk1995
The Prince of Persia
The Prince of Persia

Post by mk1995 »

More differences: In Level 17, the rooms with the warp potion have "WARP" written on the wall in the Japanese version.

The company's name is "Masaiya", by the way... [Edit: Masaya --Norbert]

As for the question marks: Even though I can see Japanese characters, it must be an issue with the forums or so...

Let's try to decipher the Engrish...
Sky with moon bg)
Full period of the medieval romance. The splendor of the Persian kingdom, the very people they were living happily.
(Sky with moon bg)
Once upon a time the Sultan of the princess leaving the king, went on the road to the far left to the national confidential Ja.
(Sky with moon bg)
More recently, the far-ja was an attempt to take it this is the Kingdom of the machine missed.
The young princess was in love.
Far Manager is finally having a revolt, ordered his subordinates, who were caught?RA?fun.
(After torture)
At the time, the princess was trapped on the top floor of the tower, was his great sorrow.
(After hourglass)
Far Manager is to ensure a regular power?I?TTA, SEMATTA marriage to a princess.
(After hourglass)
Or marriage, to choose death or otherwise, to be worked out after just two hours.
(After hourglass)
When I worry about the young princess is just one of the prison escape.
In the full period of the medieval romance, the kingdom of Persia prospered and the people lived happily. It happened that the Sultan of this kingdom left towards far away lands. He entrusted the kingdom to his grand vizier Jaffar. Recently, Jaffar took over the kingdom with tyrannic intents.
The princess, daughter of the very Sultan of Persia, has fallen in love with an adventurer from foreign lands. With revolt, Jaffar ordered his subordinates to capture the lad.
With the young man being taken care of, all that was left to do was to see the princess, whom he locked up in her room on the top of the palace tower.
Jaffar proposed an arranged marriage to the princess, but she refused. So he gave her a choice and only two hours for her decision: Marry him... or die.
As the princess put all of her hopes on the man she loved, he escaped from his prison...

So yeah... Guess it could be like that. I improvised a little, but it worked out not bad.
Just to make something clear: I will not reply to daft PMs like "Where can I find X?" or "Can you give me a link to Y?". Most of your questions are likely answerable if only you took your bloody time to look through these forums and use Google if all else fails. Sheesh...
Norbert
The Prince of Persia
The Prince of Persia

Post by Norbert »

Just a short note for people reading this thread: related posts can be found on this page, including a snes_graphics.zip attachment that replaces some of the broken freeweb.hu links in this thread.
Last edited by David on July 16th, 2017, 8:29 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: fixed link