Level editor for the SNES version

A modern Prince of Persia 1 for SNES level editor for Windows.
David
The Prince of Persia
The Prince of Persia

Re: Level editor for the SNES version

Post by David »

robert wrote: Will this affect the monster's battle music too? Or is a hack for any other opponent excluding the monster?
Yes it will affect the monster.
I tested it: when the kid puts his sword away (press down) while fighting the monster, the music switches to regular.

If you don't want that, then you can use this instead:
search: AD 79 05 C9 10 F0 22
search: AD 79 05 C9 10 D0 21
replace in both: AD 79 05 C9 10 -> AD 2B 06 C9 0F
(This will check for the monster instead of level 17.)
robert
Sultan
Sultan

Post by robert »

David wrote:(This will check for the monster instead of level 17.)
I'll stay with this option because it fits better with what I wanted. Thanks for all the help!
This will be my face if you can't win any of my mods
salvadorc17
Calif
Calif

Post by salvadorc17 »

Some hex editing or hacking guide for the editor will be good, also can you tell me if possible, a hack to change game time limit or something else...
robert
Sultan
Sultan

Post by robert »

salvadorc17 wrote:Some hex editing or hacking guide for the editor will be good, also can you tell me if possible, a hack to change game time limit or something else...
Actually, you can hex edit using the guide provided by Kaslghnoon here: viewtopic.php?f=122&t=3099 You will find lots of different options, such as "Edit time limit". There are more possible hack editings that you may find their explanations in more than one topic.

Doing what Kaslghnoon wrote is not complicated, you must follow the instructions shown, and download and use the files needed where it is indicated.

Adding the possibility of hack editing in the level editor ... In my opinion, I wouldn't say it's a bad idea, for me the level editor is fine as it is now. In my case I don't have any problems using a hex editor apart from it, but maybe for convenience could be. I think it'd be very effective if all the possible hack editings known until today were compiled in one large document. This way should make simpler for people to find specific hacks they're looking for.
salvadorc17
Calif
Calif

Post by salvadorc17 »

I agree with you, i do not want to search in some many forums post, to know what different possibilities of room hacking there are, will be good some kind of documentation for all the know research about it, if not better include in some kind of tool for hacking room.

Also i was thinking about if were good an option to export/import graphicss (pallete) changes, to allow users to reimplement the visual layers into different rooms or mods...
Norbert
The Prince of Persia
The Prince of Persia

Post by Norbert »

I haven't read every recent post in this thread, but maybe this is useful:
http://www.princed.org/wiki/SNES_format
salvadorc17
Calif
Calif

Post by salvadorc17 »

That can help too for do a hacking tool, but for someone else i tihnk will get confused, :D , all we cant not understand about programming and stuff like that...
robert
Sultan
Sultan

Post by robert »

I'm having some troubles finnishing my mod. The .rom file has run out of space, the level editor shows the "Last resourse doesn't fit ... " warning. It doesn't let me edit nothing :(

I need some help please ...
David
The Prince of Persia
The Prince of Persia

Post by David »

Here is the new version.
If "Last resource doesn't fit into its place", then the editor places it elsewhere. (After the sprites.)
It may have bugs, so please make a backup of your ROM image before using!
Attachments
Pr1SnesLevEd_2015-06-03.zip
(372.58 KiB) Downloaded 448 times
robert
Sultan
Sultan

Post by robert »

Many thanks David!

I've noticed that, when I edited my .rom file with the new version, it cannot be opened with the previous version. The editor shows a "Stream read error" warning.

However, the other warning ("Last resourse ...") hasn't appeared yet. I'm going to test the edited .rom with an emulator and see if there are any changes or bugs, and later I'll post back.
salvadorc17
Calif
Calif

Post by salvadorc17 »

Here is the new version.
If "Last resource doesn't fit into its place", then the editor places it elsewhere. (After the sprites.)
What you mean last resource, good work for new update, hope you consider adding some hacking options next..
robert
Sultan
Sultan

Post by robert »

Apparently, after testing my mod, the gameplay is fine. I've only played the game-story levels (1-20), not the training levels. The menu, the Konami Screen, the demo, the last part after you win the game, everything looks fine.

So, no bugs here!
David
The Prince of Persia
The Prince of Persia

Post by David »

robert wrote:So, no bugs here!
It's good to know! :)
robert
Sultan
Sultan

Post by robert »

salvadorc17 wrote:What you mean last resource
In easy terms, it means that the last modification you've made with the level editor (eg. editing a tile, placing a wall somewhere, changing a tile background) cannot be accepted because it will force some data (into the ROM image) to be pushed away (as far as I know, the Konami screen). So, imagine you are editing level 17 and after some editing you remember to save your process, if the warning "Last resource doesn't fit into its place" appears, it means that in some point you will need to undo your process, like re-doing a tile you edited with the graphic editor (leaving it in blank). This is why it is recommended, not only to constantly backup your mod, but also to constantly save your process to make sure you still have free space to continue editing.

If you decide to go on saving ignoring the warning, then the Konami screen will disappear. I don't know if something else in the .rom disappears, but the Konami screen does for sure.

So, with the level editor's new version, the new tiles or editings you make that probably would push some data away, as David said, will be placed somewhere after the sprites "section" in the .rom file.
salvadorc17
Calif
Calif

Post by salvadorc17 »

In easy terms, it means that the last modification you've made with the level editor (eg. editing a tile, placing a wall somewhere, changing a tile background) cannot be accepted because it will force some data (into the ROM image) to be pushed away (as far as I know, the Konami screen).
Ok, thanks for that big explanation, then is a big problem solved for us now, to do almost total conversions... David is posssible next update include some hacking options??