Level editor for the SNES version

A modern Prince of Persia 1 for SNES level editor for Windows.
David
The Prince of Persia
The Prince of Persia

Re: Level editor for the SNES version

Post by David »

Yes, this is the warning that I mentioned.
If you're using the USA/Europe version, then pressing "yes" will truncate the Konami logo.
(You could try it, but make a backup first!)

Wait... I just realized that I made a stupid mistake in the June 4 bugfix!
Instead of checking for truncated non-zero bytes, the program checks for truncated zero bytes!
(And when I tested it, I replaced the last zero byte at 0x77FFF with 01, so that the error appears early. I didn't test that the error shouldn't appear if there are plenty of zero bytes left.)

I apologize for the inconvenience. (At least this bug didn't cause any data loss... I hope.)
I fixed this bug, I hope that now the editor will warn only when it should.

I attached the new version to this post.
Attachments
Pr1SnesLevEd.zip
(367.76 KiB) Downloaded 211 times
robert
Sultan
Sultan

Post by robert »

Don't worry, no data was lost (I believe...), and don't apologize, if it wasn't for you, we would not make snes mods ;)

Anyway, thank you so much :D
This will be my face if you can't win any of my mods
Iso
Sheikh
Sheikh

Post by Iso »

I got that error as soon as I switched over to the latest editor. Not sure if anything is actually wrong, I can save and everything seems fine. I've been running into an issue with the tile editor though. If I open the palette editor during the same session that I've done graphic editing, all the tiles I've made will disappear. Not a big issue though, you can avoid by saving and re-opening the editor after doing graphic edits. Anywho, cool new features.
Kaslghnoon
Sultan
Sultan

Post by Kaslghnoon »

When using the graphics editor, do the following to ensure maximum compression in order to avoid data loss:

Level, Change type..., blue dungeon, OK, Graphics, Edit level graphics > Layer 1, close graphics editor window, Graphics, Edit level graphics > Layer 2, close graphics editor window, Graphics, Edit level graphics > Layer 3, close graphics editor window, File, Save (Do not save if the warning message shows up, move on to the next level type)

File, Open your mod, Level, Change type..., pink palace, OK, Graphics, Edit level graphics > Layer 1, close graphics editor window, Graphics, Edit level graphics > Layer 2, close graphics editor window, Graphics, Edit level graphics > Layer 3, close graphics editor window, File, Save

Do this periodically for all 10 tilesets and there should be plenty of space for adding a reasonable amount of new tiles. This information is relevant to the current release of Pr1SnesLevEd.
David
The Prince of Persia
The Prince of Persia

Post by David »

I'm afraid that this works only if you re-save a tileset that was last edited with an older version of the editor.
("older" means before 2013 June 04, see here.)
Level graphics saved by the current version are smaller than the graphics saved by the old version ("Edited graphics is now compressed better"), but it's still bigger than the original.
However, if you re-save the unchanged *levels*, then you'll really have more space, because original levels that are re-saved by the editor are compressed better than the original. (Except Jaffar's level.)
David
The Prince of Persia
The Prince of Persia

Post by David »

Added an icon as told here.
Attachments
Pr1SnesLevEd.zip
(368.21 KiB) Downloaded 176 times
spartacus735
Wise Scribe
Wise Scribe

Post by spartacus735 »

Hi!
I recently ask me why not add software "Pr1snesleved" for the site
www.romhacking.net
which is the largest website in rom modification ?
I think it would be a good way to introduce a wider public still romhacking the Prince of persia snes.

thank you.
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> http://www.youtube.com/user/spartacus735 <<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<< the channel of prince of persia snes mod
Norbert
The Prince of Persia
The Prince of Persia

Post by Norbert »

spartacus735 wrote:I recently ask me why not add software "Pr1snesleved" for the site
http://www.romhacking.net
which is the largest website in rom modification ?
I think it would be a good way to introduce a wider public still romhacking the Prince of persia snes.
Good thinking.
Romhacking.net allows the submission of both news and of files, which is something to keep in mind when the next Pr1SnesLevEd is being released.
I'll soon create a new thread on the General Stuff board about (re-)building the modding community, because I have some additional ideas and would like your feedback.
David
The Prince of Persia
The Prince of Persia

Post by David »

* Added "Edit screens palette..." and "Edit hardcoded palette...".
* Added notes to the palette editors about which row is what.
(As I said here: viewtopic.php?f=122&t=3429)

I attached the new version to this post.
Attachments
Pr1SnesLevEd.zip
(372.02 KiB) Downloaded 164 times
spartacus735
Wise Scribe
Wise Scribe

Post by spartacus735 »

Perfect !
Thank a lot ! you are the god of prince of persia !
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> http://www.youtube.com/user/spartacus735 <<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<< the channel of prince of persia snes mod
salvadorc17
Calif
Calif

Post by salvadorc17 »

Interesting, this looks better than past year, now i want to ask if there is a way to use prince of persia 2 snes graphics into this prince of persia 1... or how to change edit tilesets.
Norbert
The Prince of Persia
The Prince of Persia

Post by Norbert »

Some small suggestions:
- maybe add a File->Quit menu option,
- maybe add an 'are you sure' pop-up when exiting the application (if you prefer you could only show it if there are unsaved changes),
- maybe allow users to select a level from the "Select level" pop-up by double-clicking the level (same for similar pop-ups, if any).
spartacus735
Wise Scribe
Wise Scribe

Post by spartacus735 »

Norbert wrote:Some small suggestions:
- maybe add a File->Quit menu option,
- maybe add an 'are you sure' pop-up when exiting the application (if you prefer you could only show it if there are unsaved changes),
- maybe allow users to select a level from the "Select level" pop-up by double-clicking the level (same for similar pop-ups, if any).
I agree, these ideas can make the software more "confortable".

I have small questions about the music and tileset ( I don't know if I said this before ), it is possible too change the original music by a new music set ? with a sort of "mp3 to snes music type file" and it is possible to make level with different tileset like the floor of level 13-15 and the wall of the level 1-3 ?

thx
David
The Prince of Persia
The Prince of Persia

Post by David »

Norbert wrote: - maybe add a File->Quit menu option,
Right. Some "similar pop-ups" are the "guard type" and the "level type" lists.
All of these are handled by the same function, Select().
spartacus735 wrote: it is possible too change the original music by a new music set ? with a sort of "mp3 to snes music type file"
I don't think so.
The format of the SNES music is similar to MIDI in some respect: it stores a description of the music, and not the actual sound waves.
spartacus735 wrote: and it is possible to make level with different tileset like the floor of level 13-15 and the wall of the level 1-3 ?
Maybe, when (if) I add tile-editing to the "Edit level graphics" window.
Norbert
The Prince of Persia
The Prince of Persia

Post by Norbert »

What is currently the quickest way to playtest, for example, level 5? I think manually starting ZSNES (or a similar emulator) and entering the password for level 5? Can you include a menu option for this? I don't know much about Windows, but if ZSNES (or Snes9x or whatever) is in the $PATH, I guess it could work without including ZSNES in the package? Although zsnesw.exe is not that big (581K) and could be included. How to quickly reach level 5? Maybe temporarily change some bytes to force the game to start in that level? What about the IPS patch, maybe have the program apply it, or include Floating IPS in the package (it's GPL'ed) and use that? It would be nice if playtesting were easier.