[HELP] Editing tile graphics of SNES PoP 1

starwindz
Sultan
Sultan

[HELP] Editing tile graphics of SNES PoP 1

Post by starwindz »

Is there a way to add or modify the tile graphics of SNES PoP 1? I would like to improve the compatibility of PC to SNES level conversion. Also many SNES mods will have mod-specific graphics by using this technique.

I have seen some topics regarding tile extraction but I could not find any information for editing the tiles.

Any ideas?
starwindz
Sultan
Sultan

Re: [HELP] Editing tile graphics of SNES PoP 1

Post by starwindz »

There is an issue for PC-to-SNES tile set conversion. For an example, some tile set of SNES version is missing for PC to SNES conversion. See the following screenshot.

I would to like add or modify some tile set in order to fix this incompatibility.
Is there any kind of tile graphic editor or techniques for editing tile graphics?
David
The Prince of Persia
The Prince of Persia

Post by David »

starwindz wrote:I would to like add or modify some tile set in order to fix this incompatibility.
Is there any kind of tile graphic editor or techniques for editing tile graphics?
Well, the format of the level graphics is known.
There are two important things that should be distinguished: level tiles and graphics tiles.
The level tiles are those that you can see in the dropdown lists of the level editor.
The graphics tiles are 8*8 pixel images that are used to build level tiles. (Or any other graphics.)
Each layer has a limited set of graphics tiles. (256 or 512)
Here's an image that shows what I mean:

There are many other combinations that are not present in the level tiles, for example:
Door with pillar below: the existing graphics tiles are enough.
Torch with door below: the 05 over 07 shown above is needed.
Pillar with door below: the 05 over 07 shown above is needed.
Wall with door below: needs a new graphics tile: 6D over 07.

The created new graphics tiles could be placed into the place of the empty tiles: 3A, 42, 47 or 48. (00 should be left empty.)

The graphics is compressed in the ROM, so the best solution would be making a game-specific graphics editor.
scape
Efendi
Efendi

Post by scape »

If the format of the graphics is known is there any way to extract graphics edit them and then put them back in the game? I would love to do some new graphics for the snes version, as the pc version's palette is too limiting and there are no proper background tiles etc.
Shauing
Calif
Calif

Post by Shauing »

I have a question over here. I found some odd graphical glitch regarding the Prince standing on a Door Top floor tile.
Door Top Graphic Glitch.png
Door Top Graphic Glitch.png (3.45 KiB) Viewed 9172 times
His legs disappear if he is standing at the right side of the tile.
Does anybody know how to fix it and why this happens?
NEW UPDATE! Prince Of Persia: 30th Anniversary Port v1.1.5. Download it today!: viewtopic.php?p=29053#p29053
NEW UPDATE! Prince Of Persia: The Queen Of Light v2.6. Download it today! viewtopic.php?p=33174#p33174
David
The Prince of Persia
The Prince of Persia

Post by David »

Shauing wrote: June 11th, 2018, 1:48 am His legs disappear if he is standing at the right side of the tile.
This doesn't even happen to me. (See picture below.)

Maybe you could send me a testcase?
Attachments
snes_gate_top.png
snes_gate_top.png (19.47 KiB) Viewed 9142 times
David
The Prince of Persia
The Prince of Persia

Post by David »

Shauing wrote: June 11th, 2018, 1:48 am I have a question over here. I found some odd graphical glitch regarding the Prince standing on a Door Top floor tile.
His legs disappear if he is standing at the right side of the tile.
Does anybody know how to fix it and why this happens?
I have looked at the ROM you sent me in PM.
It seems that this is caused by the "door top" object on the floor tile. If I remove it then the glitch disappears.
Is there any specific reason you used that object?

(By the way, this also shows how easily I skip over important details. You did mention the "Door Top floor tile" in your post, but I tested without it; because I thought you meant simply a floor at the top of a door, or gate. Sorry!)
Shauing
Calif
Calif

Post by Shauing »

David wrote: June 23rd, 2018, 9:31 am I have looked at the ROM you sent me in PM.
It seems that this is caused by the "door top" object on the floor tile. If I remove it then the glitch disappears.
Is there any specific reason you used that object?

(By the way, this also shows how easily I skip over important details. You did mention the "Door Top floor tile" in your post, but I tested without it; because I thought you meant simply a floor at the top of a door, or gate. Sorry!)
I was using it so that the player cannot climb down on that tile and go through the door located in the room below (that's also why I put a double door on that room to avoid that, but the player gets stuck between both doors and can't escape). I thought that was the ''door top'' functionality.
NEW UPDATE! Prince Of Persia: 30th Anniversary Port v1.1.5. Download it today!: viewtopic.php?p=29053#p29053
NEW UPDATE! Prince Of Persia: The Queen Of Light v2.6. Download it today! viewtopic.php?p=33174#p33174
David
The Prince of Persia
The Prince of Persia

Post by David »

Shauing wrote: June 23rd, 2018, 9:56 am I was using it so that the player cannot climb down on that tile and go through the door located in the room below (that's also why I put a double door on that room to avoid that, but the player gets stuck between both doors and can't escape). I thought that was the ''door top'' functionality.
Oh yes, that's true.

For that you can also use a "frozen" loose floor.