SNES Mod: The Quiet Levels

robert
Sultan
Sultan

Re: SNES Mod: The Quiet Levels

Post by robert »

I past level 9, those chompers were really anoying ;) . How did you make them faster?

One thing, in level 10 when it starts where do I have to go? because there is a closed gate, a trigger tile that doesn't make anything, and no place to leave.
This will be my face if you can't win any of my mods
cosmictruffle
Efendi
Efendi

Post by cosmictruffle »

(to the mod's author) Just curious, how did you disable the battle music? I know how to disable the level music via the snes level editor, but not the battle music...
Kaslghnoon
Sultan
Sultan

Post by Kaslghnoon »

robert wrote:I past level 9, those chompers were really anoying ;) . How did you make them faster?
It took over 400 offset changes to assign different chomper speeds to different levels and rooms within a level. Modifying chomper/guillotine/crusher speeds cannot be done with the SNES level editor. It takes advanced hex editing to do this.
robert wrote:One thing, in level 10 when it starts where do I have to go? because there is a closed gate, a trigger tile that doesn't make anything, and no place to leave.
Level 10 introduces something that has never been seen before in a PoP mod: A stuck (frozen) button...
What you have to do is loosen that frozen open trigger in the first room. When the button is unstuck: Gate opens, exit is in the next room. It's a two-room level.
cosmictruffle wrote: Just curious, how did you disable the battle music? I know how to disable the level music via the snes level editor, but not the battle music...
I used a hex editor and modified some offsets in the music area. To do this:

1) Remove the ROM header. Refer to viewtopic.php?f=63&t=3069 for help.
2) Change the values of these two offsets:
x1136B to $32
x1136E to $01
robert
Sultan
Sultan

Post by robert »

Well what do you mean with "loosen", do you mean falling on the tile repeatedly? But I only have 3 lives. Could you give me a walktrough or another hint?

The stuck button you have put, is like the stuck button you find in roomshaker? I had never used it, but are they the same?
cosmictruffle
Efendi
Efendi

Post by cosmictruffle »

Kaslghnoon wrote: I used a hex editor and modified some offsets in the music area. To do this:

1) Remove the ROM header. Refer to viewtopic.php?f=63&t=3069 for help.
2) Change the values of these two offsets:
x1136B to $32
x1136E to $01
Ah, thanks! I wanted to know because I recreated the demo level for playability, but the battle music kinda stuck out.
Kaslghnoon
Sultan
Sultan

Post by Kaslghnoon »

robert wrote:Well what do you mean with "loosen", do you mean falling on the tile repeatedly?
Correct. The frozen button needs to be pounded 5 times to loosen. You need to have at least 6 health points to complete level 10.

Remember you are not obligated to play this mod if you're not enjoying it.

If you do feel like playing again sometime in the future, and wish to advance further:
-Start all over from level 1.
-Obtain the 3 life potions between levels 1 and 7. So when you begin level 8 you have 6 health points.
-Try to complete level 8, if you can't, PM me the password like before.
Then you can easily beat level 10.
robert wrote:The stuck button you have put, is like the stuck button you find in roomshaker? I had never used it, but are they the same?
I don't know much about roomshaker. I've only used Apoplexy and Princed.
robert
Sultan
Sultan

Post by robert »

OK, I will start it all over.

I really liked your mod, and I'm telling this because when a mod gets too difficult to me I quit it, and I didn't do it with this mod, because I liked it, I liked the way you make them challenging and interesting.

Getting life potions was something that I couldn't do because I thought there wasn't a gettable life potion, but of course I was wrong, why would you put all ungettable life potions? :lol:

If I have to put a mark it is 9.5, because you have to drink at least 6 life potions to pass an advanced level. I don't mean that it is something bad, I mean you must take a lot of challenge to reach them.
starwindz
Sultan
Sultan

Post by starwindz »

'The Quiet Levels' mod has total 14 levels? After 14th level completed, the game ending appeared?
How can I do for this by using hex editing?

I am trying to develope the PC-to-SNES level converter. Since PC version has 14 playable levels, I would like to modify the maximum level of SNES version.
Kaslghnoon
Sultan
Sultan

Post by Kaslghnoon »

starwindz wrote:'The Quiet Levels' mod has total 14 levels? After 14th level completed, the game ending appeared?
Remove the ROM's header, then make all these offset changes to have the game ending upon level 14's completion:

xFA1A to $0E (Completion time not displayed)
xEE3F to $0D (Level number not announced)
xE9C2 to $0D (Freeze timer)
x8306 to $0D (exit level by entering a room)
x830D to $?? (This room is linked to the right of the princess room, default value is $04)

Creating new rule for princess rescue:
xEF7A to $0E
xF865 to $4C
xF866 to $E9
xF867 to $FF
xFFE9 to $AD
xFFEA to $79
xFFEB to $05
xFFEC to $C9
xFFED to $0D
xFFEE to $F0
xFFEF to $08
xFFF0 to $AD
xFFF1 to $79
xFFF2 to $05
xFFF3 to $4C
xFFF4 to $68
xFFF5 to $F8
xFFF6 to $D0
xFFF7 to $08
xFFF8 to $A9
xFFF9 to $FF
xFFFA to $8D
xFFFB to $B5
xFFFC to $04
xFFFD to $4C
xFFFE to $F0
xFFFF to $FF
starwindz
Sultan
Sultan

Post by starwindz »

Kaslghnoon wrote:
starwindz wrote:'The Quiet Levels' mod has total 14 levels? After 14th level completed, the game ending appeared?
Remove the ROM's header, then make all these offset changes to have the game ending upon level 14's completion:

xFA1A to $0E (Completion time not displayed)
xEE3F to $0D (Level number not announced)
xE9C2 to $0D (Freeze timer)
x8306 to $0D (exit level by entering a room)
x830D to $?? (This room is linked to the right of the princess room, default value is $04)

Creating new rule for princess rescue:
xEF7A to $0E
xF865 to $4C
xF866 to $E9
xF867 to $FF
xFFE9 to $AD
xFFEA to $79
xFFEB to $05
xFFEC to $C9
xFFED to $0D
xFFEE to $F0
xFFEF to $08
xFFF0 to $AD
xFFF1 to $79
xFFF2 to $05
xFFF3 to $4C
xFFF4 to $68
xFFF5 to $F8
xFFF6 to $D0
xFFF7 to $08
xFFF8 to $A9
xFFF9 to $FF
xFFFA to $8D
xFFFB to $B5
xFFFC to $04
xFFFD to $4C
xFFFE to $F0
xFFFF to $FF
Thank you so much for your kind and detailed answer! :) I have a question about your answer.
When rom header removed, the file size is 1,048,756? The rom file of your Quiet Level Mod does not have the rom header? The file size of your rom file is 1,049,088. What is going on?

I think I have to read previously written posts about hex editing. Thanks again.
mk1995
The Prince of Persia
The Prince of Persia

Post by mk1995 »

If the file size is 1,049,088 bytes, you have to delete the offsets all the way to x01FF (i.e. the first 512 bytes). If it's 1,048,576 bytes already, you may skip the header deletion.
Just to make something clear: I will not reply to daft PMs like "Where can I find X?" or "Can you give me a link to Y?". Most of your questions are likely answerable if only you took your bloody time to look through these forums and use Google if all else fails. Sheesh...
robert
Sultan
Sultan

Post by robert »

To Kashlgnoon:

is there any way of hacking the PoP 1 pc or snes version to have more than the limit of levels (more than 14 or 20)?

I know I have posted a topic with this question in another forum, but as I thought "it might be possible that Kashglnoon not going to see that" I ask you it here.
Kaslghnoon
Sultan
Sultan

Post by Kaslghnoon »

starwindz wrote:The rom file of your Quiet Level Mod does not have the rom header? The file size of your rom file is 1,049,088. What is going on?
The Quiet Levels is headered. For absolutely no reason I put the header back on after the hex editing was done.
robert wrote:is there any way of hacking the PoP 1 pc or snes version to have more than the limit of levels (more than 14 or 20)?
Not at this time since we don't have enough information to do this on either DOS nor SNES. The SNES already has a total of 27 levels, it's all a matter of breaking the barrier that separates the training and demo levels from the regular 1-20. It will require some serious hex editing which I don't think I can do right now. I will keep this in mind to work on whenever time allows.
robert
Sultan
Sultan

Post by robert »

robert wrote:is there any way of hacking the PoP 1 pc or snes version to have more than the limit of levels (more than 14 or 20)?
Kashglnoon wrote:Not at this time since we don't have enough information to do this on either DOS nor SNES. The SNES already has a total of 27 levels, it's all a matter of breaking the barrier that separates the training and demo levels from the regular 1-20. It will require some serious hex editing which I don't think I can do right now. I will keep this in mind to work on whenever time allows.
It's ok, there's no need to do this, was just a doubt I had.

Thanks for the answer.
robert
Sultan
Sultan

Post by robert »

robert wrote:
Kashglnoon wrote:Not at this time since we don't have enough information to do this on either DOS nor SNES. The SNES already has a total of 27 levels, it's all a matter of breaking the barrier that separates the training and demo levels from the regular 1-20. It will require some serious hex editing which I don't think I can do right now. I will keep this in mind to work on whenever time allows.
It's ok, there's no need to do this, was just a doubt I had. But if you want to investigate about this you can do it, it could be nice to make a levelset with more than the original limit of levels.

Thanks for the answer.