SNES Mod: The Quiet Levels

Balanced
Vizier
Vizier

Re: SNES Mod: The Quiet Levels

Post by Balanced »

Now maybe a weird question, but how to play it. Dosbox, or what?
mk1995
The Prince of Persia
The Prince of Persia

Post by mk1995 »

No. You just download the ROM and play it using a SNES emulator. ZSNES is a very good one.
Just to make something clear: I will not reply to daft PMs like "Where can I find X?" or "Can you give me a link to Y?". Most of your questions are likely answerable if only you took your bloody time to look through these forums and use Google if all else fails. Sheesh...
Balanced
Vizier
Vizier

Post by Balanced »

Ah, thanks.
Would be awesome if I could get an original snes game, got a snes here :mrgreen:
mk1995
The Prince of Persia
The Prince of Persia

Post by mk1995 »

I think if you got an empty cart and other necessary tools, you could dump the ROM on an empty SNES cart and play it on your actual SNES, unless the ROM here is a US-model. Then it won't work...
Just to make something clear: I will not reply to daft PMs like "Where can I find X?" or "Can you give me a link to Y?". Most of your questions are likely answerable if only you took your bloody time to look through these forums and use Google if all else fails. Sheesh...
Kaslghnoon
Sultan
Sultan

Post by Kaslghnoon »

Balanced wrote:Would be awesome if I could get an original snes game
To clarify: Have you played the original SNES Prince of Persia 1 game? If yes, did you finish? (all 20 levels)
Kaslghnoon
Sultan
Sultan

Post by Kaslghnoon »

mk1995 wrote:I think if you got an empty cart and other necessary tools, you could dump the ROM on an empty SNES cart and play it on your actual SNES, unless the ROM here is a US-model. Then it won't work...
This ROM actually is for the U.S (NTSC mode). So you are right even if dumped onto a European cartridge (the one with the two lockout chips on the side) it would have video and speed issues, only audio would work properly. Unless you edit the ROM data, the only way to get an NTSC SNES game to play in the PAL region would be to either (1) run it on a PAL60 SNES console or (2) buy a U.S SNES console and a multi-system TV, power-adapt both of them. From what I hear: PAL60 SNES consoles are rare and expensive and the second solution is downright ridiculous unless you're into making all your video equipment region free. So obviously editing the game data would be the smart choice in this case.

Luckily with great emulators like ZSNES, ROM modes are no longer a problem. In the game load dialog, you can force either PAL or NTSC on any ROM.
If my mod is too fast for you folks from the PAL region, you can slow it down to 50 fps by forcing PAL mode.

To permanently convert a ROM into PAL mode, it requires editing the game data as I mentioned above. I created this patch that converts this SNES mod to PAL mode, it works on Remix 3 as well. I recommend making a copy of any original file before patching just in case... The only time editing the game (for the mode change) is useful is when dumping a ROM or playing it with an emulator that doesn't support PAL conversion.

To apply this patch, choose from any of these utilities:
http://www.zophar.net/utilities/patchutil.html
Balanced
Vizier
Vizier

Post by Balanced »

Oh wait, got an NES here.. :(
Thus I didnt play all games, but if I could get the game, i would buy me a SNES :P

EDIT:
Looked around our Dutch "ebay", found a SNES, not too expensive (30 euros), and a game named Prince Of Persia SNES.
Is this the good one?

Also found a PoP 2 for SNES
is this the good one?

Maybe ill buy it :D
Butcher
Developer
Developer

Post by Butcher »

In fact... all you need are things like "Super Wild Card DX", "Double Pro Fighter 32M" and specially "Super Flash Cart 64M", here!

In some good emulation sites you can find even specifications of how to build devices to read (and write) the eproms of those cartridges

Or you can build things like this dude did with his NES console..

Just assembly a computer inside your favorite game console! :razz:
mk1995
The Prince of Persia
The Prince of Persia

Post by mk1995 »

Balanced wrote:Also found a PoP 2 for SNES
is this the good one?
OMG! You had better stay away from that one! The SNES port of PoP2 is, like, real bad.
Balanced
Vizier
Vizier

Post by Balanced »

Butcher wrote:In fact... all you need are things like "Super Wild Card DX", "Double Pro Fighter 32M" and specially "Super Flash Cart 64M", here!
Im lost here? :P
Kaslghnoon
Sultan
Sultan

Post by Kaslghnoon »

Balanced, it sounds like you're getting overwhelmed here my friend. I think it's better for you not to buy anything yet and especially not from eBay.

What Butcher is referring to are utilities that take care of regional format problems to let retro gamers play any game, anywhere. I don't think you should worry about that as it may be a few steps ahead of you right now.

So you recently downloaded ZSNES, which is like having a SNES console on the PC. The next thing you should do is download ROMS of the games you like (Prince of Persia 1 for example), you can simply Google SNES ROMS or to make things quicker:
http://www.romnation.net/srv/roms/snes/p.html

That site has all 3 modes of SNES Prince of Persia, (E) is the European mode which runs slower than (J) the Japanese one and (U) the U.S game. Download all of them and choose the one that you like most to play.

Familiarize yourself with ZSNES menus, primary things to do are setting up the keys (input), choosing the best full screen mode, learning the shortcut keys (F2 = save state, F4 = load state...) see unlike the SNES console, emulators like ZSNES can save games anytime.

If you have any questions about the emulator, ZSNES has a forum, or you could ask us if you'd like. Use the emulator to evaluate SNES ROMS and if you can find five or six games that you like then you should consider buying the SNES system and games for it. eBay is not the only place to find older video games/systems, maybe you can look around in a yard sale or thrift stores in your area. I also recommend not playing any SNES mods until after you have finished the original SNES Prince of Persia game.
Balanced wrote:Is this the good one?
Yes
Eagle-Head Priest 97
Wise Scribe
Wise Scribe

Post by Eagle-Head Priest 97 »

is this the good one?
NOOOOO!!!! Don't get Prince of Persia 2 for the SNES. No. Bad. Very bad idea. It's extremely glitchy, egh, just don't bother with it.
Former Member of popuw.com/forum
mk1995
The Prince of Persia
The Prince of Persia

Post by mk1995 »

Eagle-Head Priest 97 wrote:
is this the good one?
NOOOOO!!!! Don't get Prince of Persia 2 for the SNES. No. Bad. Very bad idea. It's extremely glitchy, egh, just don't bother with it.
Like, hell yeah! I got owned by the first skeleton of Level 5 repeatedly with NO CHANCE TO RETALIATE!!!
Vashbul
Efendi
Efendi

Post by Vashbul »

I am stuck on level 5. There appears to be a trigger at the bottom of a pit you can't escape; you can lure a guard to fall into it but it doesn't seem to work as far as opening any gate.
I am using ZSNES for Mac.

Thanks!
Kaslghnoon
Sultan
Sultan

Post by Kaslghnoon »

Vashbul,

You have the right idea about dropping the guard down there. But as you know, guards disappear when sent to the screen below. I realize that loose tiles are not always easily detected in the SNES version. It also appears that not everyone is aware of the down/up move to drop certain loose tiles without falling, which is why I will show you the main solve to Level 5:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cfXZkVw1UcY