SNES Mod: The Quiet Levels

Kaslghnoon
Sultan
Sultan

SNES Mod: The Quiet Levels

Post by Kaslghnoon »

Hello all,

I have combined my ROM hacking experience with the convenience of David's SNES Level editor to finish my first Prince of Persia mod.

Download here

Thanks to David for developing such a great tool.
Hope you guys like it Image
Butcher
Developer
Developer

Re: SNES Mod: The Quiet Levels

Post by Butcher »

Kaslghnoon:

I'm interested in the line "ROM Hacking Experience"... Well... I don't know if you know me... but I'm the dude who made the executable version of Custom Pop Executable Generator and of course the PR Executor (old PR Front-End)

Well.. I have all console versions of prince (Nes, Genesis, MasterSystem, etc.), and of course I have all the ROM images of the snes versions, like the Japanese, the U.S.A. and European ones. In fact I have everything about POP.

Do you know the "hex offsets" of that .smc files? Like number of starting points, number of guard points, etc. Well... if you know the offsets I can make some change in my CusPOP to enable it to edit SNES files too.

If you prefer you can send a PM... or send me an e-mail to my Live account. Click at my profile to know about it.
mk1995
The Prince of Persia
The Prince of Persia

Post by mk1995 »

Yanno, I think you should ask David for that kind of stuff instead...

And, no offense, but... For the love of God and all that is holy (apologies to the Christian forum members), please stop bragging about yourself and your creations in almost every post of yours! Sure, your work is somewhat valuable, but also not more than that of other developers. And narcissists are generally disliked.
Just to make something clear: I will not reply to daft PMs like "Where can I find X?" or "Can you give me a link to Y?". Most of your questions are likely answerable if only you took your bloody time to look through these forums and use Google if all else fails. Sheesh...
Kaslghnoon
Sultan
Sultan

Post by Kaslghnoon »

To Butcher:

Hello, nice to meet you. Yes I do have the hex offsets of what you mentioned and many more capabilities that are currently not supported in David's Level Editor. At this time I feel morally obligated to share what I know with David first to improve his editor since he is the one who made the SNES Prince of Persia modding possible for us. If David has decided not to update his editor, then you sir will be the first person I go to. Thanks for CusPOP, PR Executor, and your awesome projects!
mk1995
The Prince of Persia
The Prince of Persia

Post by mk1995 »

Uh-oh... I think I got a bit hasty with my previous post! Damn, I should've known you were also a developer. It slipped my mind... Sorry.
Just to make something clear: I will not reply to daft PMs like "Where can I find X?" or "Can you give me a link to Y?". Most of your questions are likely answerable if only you took your bloody time to look through these forums and use Google if all else fails. Sheesh...
Butcher
Developer
Developer

Post by Butcher »

Kaslghnoon wrote:To Butcher:

Hello, nice to meet you. Yes I do have the hex offsets of what you mentioned and many more capabilities that are currently not supported in David's Level Editor. At this time I feel morally obligated to share what I know with David first to improve his editor since he is the one who made the SNES Prince of Persia modding possible for us. If David has decided not to update his editor, then you sir will be the first person I go to. Thanks for CusPOP, PR Executor, and your awesome projects!
Thanks for the "Sir"! ;-)

No problem! But remember a thing: "Knowledge is nothing without sharing it"

And anytime you can contact me. Sir!
Razor17
Efendi
Efendi

Post by Razor17 »

Hi,

first I'd like to say that I love SNES Mods. I've got the original Prince of Persia for my SNES. The first thing I noticed in your game: where's the music? I've opened your game data with ZSNES, and the music is an important part of this modification. Have you already played Prince of Persia Remix 3? It's also an SNES mode. I also think that your levels are quiet easy, but all in all well done (=
kj-5349
Sultan
Sultan

Post by kj-5349 »

Hi, Kaslghnoon

Congrats on releasing your mod, only the second known SNES mod I've seen around after PoP Remix III

Very interesting puzzles there especially if you want to get life upgrades
But being a bad puzzle solver I'm stuck in Level 8, already had a lot of trouble in Level 7 ;)
So perhaps are you able to post video walkthroughs but I hope it won't be spoilers for your mod.
Thanks
mk1995
The Prince of Persia
The Prince of Persia

Post by mk1995 »

Even though I somewhat retired from mod playing, I decided to give this one a try.

What I didn't like was the fact that your levels are so empty. I know, it's supposed to be "quiet" levels, but I think you took this a bit too far. The corridors are way too long and it's absolutely tedious work to get through. You tried something unique, though, and also managed to make it challenging by putting traps where one'd least expect it, which makes up for the totally empty level design.

Because you turned off the music (just like in the other versions of PoP) it felt as if I were playing a demonstration scene... And I really like that. I tend to try and imitate the demo actions.

Sadly, I'm stuck at Level 4 - at the point where I jumped through the mirror. Got a hint for me?
Kaslghnoon
Sultan
Sultan

Post by Kaslghnoon »

kj-5349 wrote:But being a bad puzzle solver I'm stuck in Level 8, already had a lot of trouble in Level 7 ;)
So perhaps are you able to post video walkthroughs but I hope it won't be spoilers for your mod.
Hey don't sweat it KJ. When I designed level 8 I kept the pros in mind. Not being able to figure it out doesn't mean you're a bad puzzle-solver, the level itself is difficult. If you have given up on 8 but wish to continue, let me know and I will PM you 9's password.

Right now may be a little early for video walkthroughs, but I can do it sometime in the future if/when needed.
Kaslghnoon
Sultan
Sultan

Post by Kaslghnoon »

mk1995 wrote:Even though I somewhat retired from mod playing, I decided to give this one a try.
After putting all that work into creating your mods and helping the community, I can respect your decision to semi-retire from playing others' mods. The only thing that has changed now is that we have another platform and you, being a veteran, do want to get in on the action but have not been quite motivated yet. I hope this levelset somewhat works towards reviving your previous state of creativity and curiosity. As you play through this mod you will see that with SNES, there just might be more ideas for a mod-maker to choose from compared to DOS. I'm not just talking about crushers, teleoprts, conveyor belts...
mk1995 wrote:What I didn't like was the fact that your levels are so empty. I know, it's supposed to be "quiet" levels, but I think you took this a bit too far. The corridors are way too long and it's absolutely tedious work to get through. You tried something unique, though, and also managed to make it challenging by putting traps where one'd least expect it, which makes up for the totally empty level design.

Because you turned off the music (just like in the other versions of PoP) it felt as if I were playing a demonstration scene... And I really like that. I tend to try and imitate the demo actions.

Sadly, I'm stuck at Level 4 - at the point where I jumped through the mirror. Got a hint for me?
I appreciate your honest feedback, MK. It's good to have variety among mods and I am very much aware of the difference between this mod and others regarding the overall 'action-per-room' ratio.

Level 4 hint
kj-5349
Sultan
Sultan

Post by kj-5349 »

Coming to think of it, instead of asking for video walkthroughs, I should have ask simply for hints to Level 8.
Because I simply have no idea how to keep the gates open to proceed further.
So Kaslghnoon can you post a hint like the picture form of Level 4? Thanks
Kaslghnoon
Sultan
Sultan

Post by Kaslghnoon »

Sure, no problem, KJ.

Level8 hint 1
Level8 hint 2
David
The Prince of Persia
The Prince of Persia

Post by David »

Kaslghnoon wrote:Yes I do have the hex offsets of what you mentioned and many more capabilities that are currently not supported in David's Level Editor. At this time I feel morally obligated to share what I know with David first to improve his editor since he is the one who made the SNES Prince of Persia modding possible for us.
Well it would be great, because everything SNES-related could be edited with one program.
Kaslghnoon
Sultan
Sultan

Post by Kaslghnoon »

Sounds good and I'll PM you the offsets.