General Discussion

This contest takes place once every three months.
mk1995
The Prince of Persia
The Prince of Persia

Re: General Discussion

Post by mk1995 »

I've had the idea of differentiating between two groups of mods when they're being submitted, namely "newbies' mods" and "veterans' mods". This does not mean the difficulty level of the mod's levels, but rather the skill level of the level designer at designing levels. Surely some people will be pretty new at making mods, and as such shouldn't be put into the same category as us oldbies, for fairness's sake.
Just to make something clear: I will not reply to daft PMs like "Where can I find X?" or "Can you give me a link to Y?". Most of your questions are likely answerable if only you took your bloody time to look through these forums and use Google if all else fails. Sheesh...
Norbert
The Prince of Persia
The Prince of Persia

Re: General Discussion

Post by Norbert »

mk1995 wrote:"newbies' mods" and "veterans' mods"
While your suggestion to take into account the experience of mod creators shows your benevolence towards newcomers, which shows good character, I think new folks aren't necessarily any better or worse than veterans. Not just in theory; in practice I've seen are a very wide range of mods from both groups. Also, everyone is free to wait out a contest and join the next. yaqxsw registered here only two months ago and has released three mods since: two months is how long the Submission Period is, not including the time before October. For now, not enough participants may enter the contest to justify two groups. All this just my opinion, of course.
Norbert
The Prince of Persia
The Prince of Persia

Re: project/idea: modding competition

Post by Norbert »

Norbert wrote:
poirot wrote:I love the idea of using social networks for promotion!
Yeah, maybe also a YouTube video that explains the contest and shows some level examples, tools and documentation.
Could get more people interested.
I'm still planning to create such a video, might be useful to point newbies to.
A general introduction to PoP modding, that mentions all the relevant tools and what they can be used for, what documentation exists, and so on.
Could include footage of some DOS and SNES mods too.