General Discussion

This contest takes place once every three months.
Eagle-Head Priest 97
Wise Scribe
Wise Scribe

Re: project/idea: modding competition

Post by Eagle-Head Priest 97 »

I think I like programmer's idea better then. I think that if it was different every season, then it might take too much away from the tradition of making normal levels, and people may lose interest in the contest, having to wait a whole year until their next opportunity to make a normal level.
Former Member of popuw.com/forum
Norbert
The Prince of Persia
The Prince of Persia

Post by Norbert »

Norbert wrote:Good point.
I'll try out some different fonts.
How is this?
Different fonts, dots removed, and a different text on the right.

Norbert
The Prince of Persia
The Prince of Persia

Post by Norbert »

Veke wrote:I felt this topic should be made global and stickied.
There seems to be a problem with Global topics, new posts in them do not show up anywhere in the "LAST POST" column on the main page.
Probably because they're in all the boards. But it's still annoying, I think. Maybe we should change it back to a regular Sticky topic.

Note to self: in the next draft, also mention this and this (GNU/Linux users can use Tab+Ctrl with mapper: hand_video "key 9 mod1").
mk1995
The Prince of Persia
The Prince of Persia

Post by mk1995 »

Eagle-Head Priest 97 wrote:I think I like programmer's idea better then. I think that if it was different every season, then it might take too much away from the tradition of making normal levels, and people may lose interest in the contest, having to wait a whole year until their next opportunity to make a normal level.
Eh, good point.
Norbert wrote:How is this?
Different fonts, dots removed, and a different text on the right.

Looks much better, though I don't like this "retro-style" pixelated font you used. Not one bit, no sire.
Norbert wrote:There seems to be a problem with Global topics, new posts in them do not show up anywhere in the "LAST POST" column on the main page.
Probably because they're in all the boards. But it's still annoying, I think. Maybe we should change it back to a regular Sticky topic.
Well, I noticed how, whenever there's a new post in here, the "Announcements" forum flares up, even though there was nothing new in its topics.
Just to make something clear: I will not reply to daft PMs like "Where can I find X?" or "Can you give me a link to Y?". Most of your questions are likely answerable if only you took your bloody time to look through these forums and use Google if all else fails. Sheesh...
Veke
Wise Scribe
Wise Scribe

Post by Veke »

Norbert wrote:
There seems to be a problem with Global topics, new posts in them do not show up anywhere in the "LAST POST" column on the main page.

Note to self: in the next draft, also mention this and this (GNU/Linux users can use Tab+Ctrl with mapper: hand_video "key 9 mod1").
I also tried to copy this topic to New Levels and Mods, but apparently, copying it doesn't mean that replies to it appear on the other copy like I thought. I still think this contest should be more visible than having it in the second to last subforum from the top.

Maybe it should be given its own subforum in the Princed Project category, right below New Levels and Mods, seeing we're planning to have these contests at regular timevals. I'm sure we'll need more topics for all this, even just for the info stuff, anyway, not to mention the mod submission topics.

I made it non-global again for now, anyway.
Norbert
The Prince of Persia
The Prince of Persia

Post by Norbert »

mk1995 wrote:Looks much better, though I don't like this "retro-style" pixelated font you used.
I'll try to pick another font for the bottom text.
I'm also thinking about adding a not too bright gradient background behind all the stuff.
Veke wrote:I'm sure we'll need more topics for all this, [...]
True.
So, threads for submitted mods can go into "New levels and mods" and then we'll have another board for threads about the contest?
What would be a good name to use, "PoP1 Quarterly Modding Contest"?
Veke
Wise Scribe
Wise Scribe

Post by Veke »

Norbert wrote: What would be a good name to use, "PoP1 Quarterly Modding Contest"?
That would work.
spartacus735
Wise Scribe
Wise Scribe

Post by spartacus735 »

I would like join this ;)

I can translate in French if you want , but i can/want just create snes mod ;)
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> http://www.youtube.com/user/spartacus735 <<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<< the channel of prince of persia snes mod
Eagle-Head Priest 97
Wise Scribe
Wise Scribe

Veke wrote:
Norbert wrote:

I also tried to copy this topic to New Levels and Mods, but apparently, copying it doesn't mean that replies to it appear on the other copy like I thought. I still think this contest should be more visible than having it in the second to last subforum from the top.

Maybe it should be given its own subforum in the Princed Project category, right below New Levels and Mods, seeing we're planning to have these contests at regular timevals. I'm sure we'll need more topics for all this, even just for the info stuff, anyway, not to mention the mod submission topics.

I made it non-global again for now, anyway.
Why don't you just make a topic in all the places you want it with just a link to this actual thread in it?
NorbertAdm
Site Shah
Site Shah

Post by NorbertAdm »

Veke wrote:
Norbert wrote: What would be a good name to use, "PoP1 Quarterly Modding Contest"?
That would work.
I've created a new board and moved the topic.
(Will add its icon as soon as poirot has uploaded it.)

--Norbert
Norbert
The Prince of Persia
The Prince of Persia

Post by Norbert »

Eagle-Head Priest 97 wrote:Why don't you just make a topic in all the places you want it with just a link to this actual thread in it?
We could've done that... but I've created a separate board. ;)
spartacus735 wrote:I would like join this ;)
That's great, the more participants the more challenging the contest will be.
SNES mods are fine.
Norbert
The Prince of Persia
The Prince of Persia

Post by Norbert »

Norbert wrote:I'll try to pick another font for the bottom text.
I'm also thinking about adding a not too bright gradient background behind all the stuff.
Which one of these backgrounds looks best?
(None of the backgrounds are PoP related, but it needs to be dark and not too distracting from the text and such.)

By the way, I'll move the "r" in "here" one pixel to the right in the final version.
The same goes for a couple more letters over there.
Eagle-Head Priest 97
Wise Scribe
Wise Scribe

I'm not seeing the difference in any of the backgrounds?
Norbert
The Prince of Persia
The Prince of Persia

Post by Norbert »

Eagle-Head Priest 97 wrote:I'm not seeing the difference in any of the backgrounds?
Then you probably need to recalibrate your monitor.
Do you see different colors in the "1" and "2" columns here?
See also this page.
Eagle-Head Priest 97
Wise Scribe
Wise Scribe

Nope everything is distinguishable there. But I'm on a mobile phone.

EDIT: Now that I zoom in I can see there's a texture. At first I thought all 4 were black. :lol: