post suggestions here

Windows and Linux editor of PoP1 (for DOS and SNES) and PoP2 (for DOS).
Norbert
The Prince of Persia
The Prince of Persia

Re: post suggestions here

Post by Norbert »

Coco wrote:Like raising a skeleton after stepping on certain tile, or making loose floor fall after drinking a potion, or a disappearance of wall etc?
Besides the special events, there's the special blue potion that triggers the top left of room 8, and if you enable "Allow triggering of any tile" (CusPop and apoplexy can do that) you can also point buttons to non-gates (such as closed chompers that will then open, or loose tiles that will then fall). More extensive modding would be possible when using SDLPoP or MININIM. There have been some attempts to add scripting (info, also).
Coco
Sultan
Sultan

Post by Coco »

Yeah, I am aware of special events, but their use is limited (and therefore predictable). I was thinking more about making user friendly ways for making custom triggers
and their effects (like overwritting tiles), and shadow movement control. Ill send you PM once my pc internet connection is restored.
Coding is not my strong side, heck, I can't even properly set up roomshaker. But if someone is willing to help me, am all for it. :)
NITM-T
Sultan
Sultan

Post by NITM-T »

Why I can't save my mods? I mean, I use the 0 Rom and it's all right with it, but when I use the same Rom that was already modified, the (S) button doesn't work:

I only use Pr1SnesLevEd and Translhextion to hack. Is there a HEX I changed that do this?
Thanks in advance and sorry if this question was already asked.
May the Moon light your path.
Norbert
The Prince of Persia
The Prince of Persia

Post by Norbert »

NITM-T wrote:(S) button doesn't work
It's a little complicated to explain, but... Basically, the levels of SNES mods can require more bytes than the bytes that are used in the original ROM to save levels. To give you an example, level 17 uses 12 rooms, but what happens if a mod author uses 24 rooms in that level? SNES ROMs are always 1048576 bytes (1049088 with header), so unlike for example DOS mods we can't just make the file larger to save bigger resources. If more space is required to save levels, both Pr1SnesLevEd and apoplexy save resources in not just one but two areas of the ROM. As far as we know the second area, that starts at 0xE0A00, is not used in the original ROM, so it gives us some extra free space. However, while apoplexy only saves levels into that second area if necessary, Pr1SnesLevEd - that has more ('low-level') features - can also save other resources there. Since apoplexy does not have the functionality to calculate where these other resources end in that second area, it doesn't know where it can safely start saving levels. This is why, if it notices that the last non-level resource starts somewhere inside the second area, it disables saving altogether just to be safe. Taking a SNES mod from apoplexy to Pr1SnesLevEd works better than vice versa, because Pr1SnesLevEd is more versatile.
NITM-T
Sultan
Sultan

Post by NITM-T »

Oh, I see. I just want to make a change on a chomper like you did on that tutorial video. My mods have almost or all rooms used for each level.
Anyway, thanks again for you help, Norbert! I'll keep this in mind.
Norbert
The Prince of Persia
The Prince of Persia

Post by Norbert »

NITM-T wrote:I just want to make a change on a chomper like you did on that tutorial video.
Pr1SnesLevEd can also be used to do this. You need to modify the "Modifier": 00 is regular, 02 is stuck harmful, 05 is stuck harmless. Other hazards may require different modifiers. You can figure out which modifiers with apoplexy: place the tile you want, then click that tile, then click the lower right gear button to get a screen that (on the right) tells you the used modifier.
NITM-T
Sultan
Sultan

Post by NITM-T »

Oh, man, can't believe on that hahaha. I use the same way to make doors to be half open with 5A and a bit open with 3A and spikes always active also with 3A "Modifier", but this doesn't work with chomper and crusher. On The Quiet Levels and Hell of Palace, both have those numbers. I thought before they had something to do with some door in some room because the number 02, for example, had the tile and room numbers that some door have, so I think: "How those guys do that?". The thing was all the time in my face hahahaha. Of course that use 3A or 5A are possible, but since I never used so much doors, I always thought those tiles had to be like Modifier = 00/00. Always with 00, you now?

In the level 07, where Shadow stills the Life Potion, that chomper do nothing like when have guards on the same row, but the Kid is not. That chomper is the one I wanted modify to be like the original story.
Thank you very much, buddy!
David
The Prince of Persia
The Prince of Persia

Post by David »

Norbert wrote:SNES ROMs are always 1048576 bytes (1049088 with header), so unlike for example DOS mods we can't just make the file larger to save bigger resources.
Just saying, that's not exactly true. For example, PoP2 for SNES is 2097152 bytes (2097664 with header).
YURA
The Prince of Persia
The Prince of Persia

Post by YURA »

Question? How to see properties of a tile pedal what lattice or a door it opens?
There are such keys?
Norbert
The Prince of Persia
The Prince of Persia

Post by Norbert »

YURA wrote: January 20th, 2018, 4:03 pmQuestion? How to see properties of a tile pedal what lattice or a door it opens?
You can click the pedal (drop/raise button), then press ESC, then "e".
Or, remember the event number (example: E:4), go to the "e"vents screen and go to the event (example: 4).

I guess this could be improved.
For example, if the gate(s)/door(s) are in the same room, and you hover over the raise/drop button then the gate(s)/door(s) could maybe highlight.
NES editor NESPrincEd has that functionality.

But apoplexy shows one room at a time, so what about stuff in other rooms...
...maybe a special key could be pressed when a button is highlighted and then the program will just keep highlighting all related gates/doors.
YURA
The Prince of Persia
The Prince of Persia

Post by YURA »

If the pedalka is signed - an example: (E:5) how then to see what gate it opens/closes?
Norbert
The Prince of Persia
The Prince of Persia

Post by Norbert »

YURA wrote: January 22nd, 2018, 10:44 pm If the pedalka is signed - an example: (E:5) how then to see what gate it opens/closes?
See the image below:
event.png
As I wrote here, this is something that could be improved.
Maybe one day.
YURA
The Prince of Persia
The Prince of Persia

Post by YURA »

Thanks. And when approximately it will be? Perhaps other program it is possible to see it?
I pass the 7th MOD-170 level now, and I should see what pedalky gate (lattice) open. How to me guide at a lattice a mouse to see that pedalka? Because I am sure that it will be necessary to do some tricks. What editor of level it can be seen?
David
The Prince of Persia
The Prince of Persia

Post by David »

YURA wrote: January 20th, 2018, 4:03 pm Question? How to see properties of a tile pedal what lattice or a door it opens?
SDLPoP can make annotated maps that show the doorlinks, among other things.
See here: viewtopic.php?p=22485#p22485
YURA
The Prince of Persia
The Prince of Persia

Post by YURA »

David! Thanks! It is impossible to me. Make, please, also MOD-170_7uroven.