Newbie here

New on the forum? Introduce yourself here and be welcomed!
TheRessen
Efendi
Efendi

Newbie here

Post by TheRessen »

Hello everyone...!

I'm TheRessen, newbie here.

I'm here to learn more about modding of this great game that made my childhood and gave inspiration to many other great games.

I'll'll try to make a mod replacing the Prince and putting Lara Croft from Tomb Raider series in his place. I'm curious about nobody doing a thing like that, so I'll try myself.

The sounds for her are OK and I'll do the sprite editing. After this I'll try to make custom maps.

Here is the first concept:

The first idea is putting her in a trip into the past, helping the Prince and looking for a artifact and the second could be a traditional TR adventure, with look similar to the classic TR games.

I did some tests and I think I could take this forward. It seems easier than doing a custom project in TRLE, the official level editor for TR in 3D.

Sorry if something sounds strange, my English is bad yet.

Greetings.
Andrew
Wise Scribe
Wise Scribe

Re: Newbie here

Post by Andrew »

Welcome! That actually sounds like a great idea and if you can pull it off it would be cool to play a 2D cinematic platformer version of TR. :)
Norbert
The Prince of Persia
The Prince of Persia

Re: Newbie here

Post by Norbert »

To prevent running into all kinds of palette problems, you may want to work with David's port.

#1 The first problem with the original game is that various 'indexed' palettes are used across scenes and objects.
Some examples: the "princess" palette limits the prince(!)'s colors during the final hug cutscene; the "prince" palette limits the flame colors; the "kid" palette limits the mouse colors.

#2 The second problem is that the number of usable colors that the palettes of the original game can contain is limited.
Only colors from the palette can be used, not the full RGB range.

#3 The third problem is that some colors of those palettes can not be customized without breaking in-game transparency.
This is tricky to explain, but some - black(-ish) I think - colors cannot be changed/touched, and they need to stay in their specific locations within the palette.

#4 The fourth problem is that making a single change to a palette to use a separate color in only a single image sometimes means having to change/re-save all images that use that palette.
When working with the full RGB range, making a color change to only a single image never impacts other images.

#5 The fifth problem is that the colormap of an image may not match the actual palette for that image, which can be a pain.
The palette of an image may be different from the palette that the game actually uses, because the game ignores the palettes of images inside DAT files.

#6 The sixth problem is that, even though a PR script can be used to bypass the problem that one cannot simply change an image and look at the results, sometimes the PR output will unexpectedly be 'borked'.
This will be because of the modder's palette mistake - see, for example, #3 - but reverting it can be difficult.

The above is just from the top of my head, there may be additional problems.