Graphics styles

Everything not related to Prince of Persia should be discussed here.
David
The Prince of Persia
The Prince of Persia

Graphics styles

Post by David »

[EDIT: I was answering to this post: viewtopic.php?p=21083#p21083 ]

Wow, I didn't know someone will have an answer... :)
Norbert wrote: 1) Computers are everywhere nowadays. Gaming and using the Internet are regular activities.
Right, but I think this began before 2011?
Norbert wrote: 2b) Several things have brought back interest in Indie(-like) and old school games.
[...] The whole Kickstarter craze contributed to the revival of old school games, remakes, spiritual successors, etc.
[...] Gamers found such games on Steam.
Yeah... I even played (the demo of) a few new but retro-looking games:
* Undertale (2015)
* Freedom Planet (2014)
* You Have to Win the Game (2012)
(and some more that are older and/or don't have Steam pages...)

For some reason I seem to prefer simpler (pixelated and/or cartoonish) graphics over realistic?
(And not just in games but also in comics and fanart and the like?)
This seems to contradict the fact that I played PoP1 which was described as "Incredibly realistic"...
But then it still looks simple when compared to the new trilogy, for example.
Norbert
The Prince of Persia
The Prince of Persia

Re: Why the sudden interest?

Post by Norbert »

David wrote:For some reason I seem to prefer simpler (pixelated and/or cartoonish) graphics over realistic?
If there's a scale from real-life (on one end) to game worlds (on the other end), then something realistic automatically ends up closer to real-life.
When I'm playing a game, I want to see objects and creatures that fit with game worlds. In a way, using photos or scanned drawings is a cheap, lazy solution. Also, maybe if it's pixelated art it feels like you can truly and fully know the creation?
Norbert
The Prince of Persia
The Prince of Persia

Re: Why the sudden interest?

Post by Norbert »

Norbert wrote:
David wrote:For some reason I seem to prefer simpler (pixelated and/or cartoonish) graphics over realistic?
If there's a scale from real-life (on one end) to game worlds (on the other end), then something realistic automatically ends up closer to real-life.
When I'm playing a game, I want to see objects and creatures that fit with game worlds. In a way, using photos or scanned drawings is a cheap, lazy solution. Also, maybe if it's pixelated art it feels like you can truly and fully know the creation?
Related, about imagination:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KgzWorfLjeE&t=2531
(Audience member asks Ron Gilbert a question; Gilbert responds.)
David
The Prince of Persia
The Prince of Persia

Re: Graphics styles

Post by David »

Moved the posts to a new topic.