Random off-topic stuff

Everything not related to Prince of Persia should be discussed here.
David
The Prince of Persia
The Prince of Persia

Re: Random off-topic stuff

Post by David »

Posted just a half month after the 2017 World Snooker Championship ended, eh?
Although this looks more like Eight-ball.
Norbert
The Prince of Persia
The Prince of Persia

Post by Norbert »

Not really my kind of music, but it's pretty funny how they asked people for help putting it together (as documented in the video itself).

Actually, this one is pretty cool too:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LlU4FuIJT2k
Norbert
The Prince of Persia
The Prince of Persia

Post by Norbert »

Norbert
The Prince of Persia
The Prince of Persia

Post by Norbert »

Lots of news about the SNES Classic that recently launched.
While PoP isn't one of the 21 built-in games, some of the others are interesting.
David
The Prince of Persia
The Prince of Persia

Post by David »

Norbert wrote: September 30th, 2017, 1:07 am Lots of news about the SNES Classic that recently launched.
While PoP isn't one of the 21 built-in games, some of the others are interesting.
Here is the list of the 21 games: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Super_NES ... tion#Games
(It's actually 16 + 5, where the 5 are different between the west and Japan.)

Funny, I never played any of these...

It looks like the previously unreleased Star Fox 2 is among them.
In case you didn't know, it was trapped in an absurd copyright case.
(No official release due to fear of legal disputes with a *defunct* company, meanwhile illegal copies were available at places.)
oitofelix
Wise Scribe
Wise Scribe

Post by oitofelix »

I made a chorus loop for "Flesh for Fantasy" (by Billy Idol). It helps me relax and feel motivated while coding.

The audio track is perfectly symmetrical. Just make a meta-loop and it will seamlessly go on and on and on forever... (Just in case someone is interested in uploading a 10 hours version ;))
Bruno Félix Rezende Ribeiro (oitofelix)
MININIM author
Norbert
The Prince of Persia
The Prince of Persia

Post by Norbert »

You certainly don't mind repetition. :lol:
Norbert
The Prince of Persia
The Prince of Persia

Post by Norbert »

Really dislike these cold and dark days.
Months of that up next. :(
Makes me want to just lay in bed and do nothing.
Rain too. And wind. It should just always be spring.
Norbert
The Prince of Persia
The Prince of Persia

Post by Norbert »

Norbert wrote: October 3rd, 2014, 11:35 am Apparently, Mechner married Whitney Hills last April.
Most likely they're divorced, although they've kept silent about this.
You can tell by little things, e.g. Hills writes: "I live [...] with a Siamese cat and a Papillon."
And how, on social media, neither of them has linked to anything their ex-partner wrote in a long, long time.
oitofelix
Wise Scribe
Wise Scribe

Post by oitofelix »

It seems things are going too fast (exponentially to be exact), as expected. Soon the only reason to put our humble human dedication on many projects won't be their practical value but rather an emotional one: enjoying what is being done and feeling good about what has been done.
Bruno Félix Rezende Ribeiro (oitofelix)
MININIM author
David
The Prince of Persia
The Prince of Persia

Post by David »

oitofelix wrote: October 8th, 2017, 12:16 pm https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2VyhmbEjs9A
I like what he says at 2:03-2:13:
It used to be the privilege of computer graphics researchers to play video games during work hours.
But apparently, scientists in machine learning also caught up in this regard. Way to go!
:)

From the paper:
To our knowledge this represents the first approach capable of deriving a game engine (a simulator of a specific game) only from output from another game engine (gameplay video).
So in the future, when you see a video of an interesting game, you don't have to buy the game: you just give the video to this AI, and it reverse-engineers the game for you.
I'm sure that game companies will have a word about that... :)
Norbert
The Prince of Persia
The Prince of Persia

Post by Norbert »

Might be interesting to some:
https://github.com/avast-tl/retdec
Norbert
The Prince of Persia
The Prince of Persia

Post by Norbert »

Norbert wrote: February 8th, 2017, 7:56 pm The Talos Principle will get a VR mode that'll also run on GNU/Linux.
I can't wait to play this with VR.
I've started playing this today. It's great.
I've also been (re)playing the game Nethack in ASCII mode recently.
And, you know what's funny: currently, both are, more or less, equally entertaining to me.
I think that's interesting.
It's similar to how the film Edge of Tomorrow had 50+ times the budget of 12 Angry Men; yet both entertain me, more or less, equally.
Does this mean that, for me, in the end, there's no point in having high budget films and fancy looking games?
I think maybe not other than for variation, but perhaps only because I'm used to experiencing both.
If these high budget films and fancy looking games were rarer, maybe they'd entertain me more?
Hm...
Norbert
The Prince of Persia
The Prince of Persia

Post by Norbert »

I'm a little annoyed by how ancient the SDL version is that comes with Linux Mint.

I asked on IRC:
-----
<norbert> hi, I'm curious how long [Linux] Mint will stick with the [Ubuntu] Xenial package base; Xenial is from April 2016 and contains the outdated SDL 2.0.4; will Mint users have to wait until Ubuntu Bionic is released in April 2018?
<norbert> Ubuntu Zesty has SDL 2.0.5, Ubuntu Artful has SDL 2.0.6 (and Ubuntu Bionic has SDL 2.0.7); with Mint's SDL 2.0.4 we're unfortunately stuck with quite a few SDL bugs
<norbert> in April 2018, Ubuntu will have moved away from 2.0.4 for a full 2 years already
<norbert> in the computer world, 2 years is a long, long time
<norbert> and SDL is a pretty important package, given that so much relies on it
-----

And the replies:
-----
<...> norbert: If you want newer versions try another distro, mint is LTS
<...> norbert: may/june of this year? for mint 19. https://blog.linuxmint.com/?p=3494
-----

So, roughly speaking, Linux Mint is just getting outdated every two year period until it latches onto the next Ubuntu LTS again. That's why I'll still be stuck with SDL 2.0.4 until mid-2018, unless I start manually compiling the library. But even if I manually compile, as a developer, I'll still be dealing with Linux Mint end-users who won't be able to properly use my software if it relies on features or fixes provided by SDL 2.0.5 and up. Maybe I should consider shipping my software with (static) libraries included, in the future. Which reminds me of a comment someone made on Slashdot about how the whole Snap (and Flatpak?) thing is basically the Linux world (re)discovering DLL files. Sigh.
David
The Prince of Persia
The Prince of Persia

Post by David »

Norbert wrote: January 28th, 2018, 1:31 am <norbert> Ubuntu Zesty has SDL 2.0.5, Ubuntu Artful has SDL 2.0.6 (and Ubuntu Bionic has SDL 2.0.7); with Mint's SDL 2.0.4 we're unfortunately stuck with quite a few SDL bugs
But then SDL 2.0.6 also has its own *new* bugs, and even SDL 2.0.7 has bugs for some.
Norbert wrote: January 28th, 2018, 1:31 am Which reminds me of a comment someone made on Slashdot about how the whole Snap (and Flatpak?) thing is basically the Linux world (re)discovering DLL files. Sigh.
Funnily enough, the parent of that comment is about keeping *older* versions of libraries for applications that don't work with the newer versions.