Lock Picking =p

Everything not related to Prince of Persia should be discussed here.

Ever managed to pick a lock successfully?

Yes, but only once.
13%
Yes, twice.
7%
Yes, three times or even more.
7%
Nope, but I always wanted to do that.
27%
Nope, but this sounds interesting. Might as well try it.
13%
Nope, and I don't feel like ever doing it.
33%

Total votes: 15

mk1995
The Prince of Persia
The Prince of Persia

Lock Picking =p

Post by mk1995 »

This poll came to my mind when I remembered a few years back. I found a diary my sister once got as a birthday present years ago and it had a little lock. I heard it's possible to pick locks with a hairpin, so I went to the bathroom, took one, went back to the lock and tried to unlock it. Guess what - I did it! But my sister didn't write into that diary yet (and still hadn't - her other one isn't even full), so I locked it up again and put it back.

This was the only time I successfully picked a lock.

How about you? What're your experiences with lock-picking, if any?
Just to make something clear: I will not reply to daft PMs like "Where can I find X?" or "Can you give me a link to Y?". Most of your questions are likely answerable if only you took your bloody time to look through these forums and use Google if all else fails. Sheesh...
musicmaker
Vizier
Vizier

Re: Lock Picking =p

Post by musicmaker »

I've never really pursued the hobby as it won't generally benefit me in real life. But picking locks sounds cool anyway. :)
~We are the music makers, and we are the dreamers of dreams.~

~Every move you make creates your destiny...~
John Wain
Vizier
Vizier

Post by John Wain »

Yes, but it's one thing to pick a lock from a diary than one from an entrance door... as the latter is incomparably more complex. My experience in this is basically zero.
mk1995
The Prince of Persia
The Prince of Persia

Post by mk1995 »

Good point, but I wasn't necessarily talking about lock-picking padlocks with hairpins, only. I was talking about lock-picking in general: Locks of every kind, usage of either a hairpin or a professional lock pick, ... Of course a diary padlock is less complex than a lock from entrance doors (taking your example), but either lock can be picked, nevertheless. It's just a matter of skill and the usage of the most fitting lock pick.

Speaking of doorlock-picking, I just remembered a funny school incident. We (my class) had our next period in a room that was locked by the time we got there. Since someone in my class also heard about lock-picking and wanted to try it, he took a paper clip, bent it straight and tried to pick the lock. Of course, the new locks are secure against such amateuric attempts of picking, but the worst thing was: The paper clip got stuck in the lock! And by the time a teacher came and managed to get it out, the bell already rung, indicating the beginning of the period. Way to go! Now you guys know how to delay the begin of a period. :P

Edit: I wonder who ever picked a lock twice...
Just to make something clear: I will not reply to daft PMs like "Where can I find X?" or "Can you give me a link to Y?". Most of your questions are likely answerable if only you took your bloody time to look through these forums and use Google if all else fails. Sheesh...
Veke
Wise Scribe
Wise Scribe

Post by Veke »

mk1995 wrote: Edit: I wonder who ever picked a lock twice...
Must have been a criminal. First he picked a lock of something where he stole something from. When he was arrested and imprisoned, he picked the lock of his prison cell. He realized it wasn't worth it and never picked a lock again.
Eagle-Head Priest 97
Wise Scribe
Wise Scribe

Post by Eagle-Head Priest 97 »

I was the one who picked a lock twice. I've picked my door's lock, and my brother's door's lock. I used a screwdriver though.
Former Member of popuw.com/forum
mk1995
The Prince of Persia
The Prince of Persia

Post by mk1995 »

Phillips or slotted?
Eagle-Head Priest 97
Wise Scribe
Wise Scribe

Post by Eagle-Head Priest 97 »

Slotted
Former Member of popuw.com/forum
Neogogeta
Vizier
Vizier

Post by Neogogeta »

I tried once just to confirm the myth. It didn't work out.
sTank
Neogogeta
L O S T Forever
n00blord
Beylerbey
Beylerbey

Post by n00blord »

I tried with needles and stuff and got bored so I broke it with hammer, does that count?
mk1995
The Prince of Persia
The Prince of Persia

Post by mk1995 »

n00blord wrote:I tried with needles and stuff and got bored so I broke it with hammer, does that count?
I guess not, since you didn't pick the lock successfully. Instead you broke it and that's not the same as picking it.

But which lock would you ever break, anyway?
n00blord
Beylerbey
Beylerbey

Post by n00blord »

Anyway, why? Huh, i forgot a key of my house, no one was home, back door with a lock, took a hammer... me in... ^^
mk1995
The Prince of Persia
The Prince of Persia

Post by mk1995 »

n00blord wrote:Anyway, why? Huh, i forgot a key of my house, no one was home, back door with a lock, took a hammer... me in... ^^
Still doesn't count. You broke the lock, you did not pick it.
n00blord
Beylerbey
Beylerbey

Post by n00blord »

Well, if "picking=using tools to open a lock" then I did.
musicmaker
Vizier
Vizier

Post by musicmaker »

It doesn't mean that. Picking locks is successfully unlocking a lock without producing evidence that the lock has been tampered with.
~We are the music makers, and we are the dreamers of dreams.~

~Every move you make creates your destiny...~