Microsoft - greedy bastards?

Everything not related to Prince of Persia should be discussed here.
mk1995
The Prince of Persia
The Prince of Persia

Microsoft - greedy bastards?

Post by mk1995 »

On a German news page (called "Newspoint.cc"), I found this (page in German) aticle.

Here's an English version, translated with internet translator.

The thing of interest is the black box's content. Translated into proper English:

Microsoft already thought about only renting Windows. If the user doesn't pay the continous fee, the PC will be blocked until the fee has been paid, using the aforementioned technique. We can only hope that Microsoft didn't already provide Windows 7 with this feature. Else, many customers would leave their hands off it.

For purpose of discussion, I opened this thread, so let's talk (or write).
Just to make something clear: I will not reply to daft PMs like "Where can I find X?" or "Can you give me a link to Y?". Most of your questions are likely answerable if only you took your bloody time to look through these forums and use Google if all else fails. Sheesh...
mk1995
The Prince of Persia
The Prince of Persia

Re: Bill Gates is getting even greedier than he is already...(?)

Post by mk1995 »

I... I didn't know he stepped out of Microsoft. Well, guess I'll have to generalize it.
Just to make something clear: I will not reply to daft PMs like "Where can I find X?" or "Can you give me a link to Y?". Most of your questions are likely answerable if only you took your bloody time to look through these forums and use Google if all else fails. Sheesh...
Andrew
Wise Scribe
Wise Scribe

Re: Microsoft - greedy bastards?

Post by Andrew »

You had no idea BillG was retired? :shock:

And Microsoft greedy? Oh my, what a shock. :roll: Here's a newsflash for you - 99.99% of all corporations are just that - greedy. That's their whole business model - get it? Plus believe me, MS is nowhere near as greedy as Apple is, and nowhere as exploitative of its (rabidly) loyal fans. Not to mention this is really old news re. MS thinking about a subscription model for Windows, Office etc. They have to do something anyway, 'cos the traditional desktop/laptop PC market is shrinking fast. Instead we have thin clients, ultra-slim low-powered netbooks etc. that are increasingly becoming the way people access the net on the move. Nobody's gonna pay big bucks for a full app suite when the device it'll run on itself is cheap as hell. BTW, what about Google then? Its intent is clearly to position itself as the web-based alternative to MS and then slowly eat into/destroy MS' traditional market. It has subscription-based enterprise versions of its software already long before MS, and is busy developing its Chrome OS. If you wanna talk of a corporation planning to dominate and take over everything, talk about Google, not MS.

P.S. No, AFAIK Win7 doesn't have any subscription-based features in it.
mk1995
The Prince of Persia
The Prince of Persia

Post by mk1995 »

Andrew wrote:If you wanna talk of a corporation planning to dominate and take over everything, talk about Google, not MS.
Guess that could be the case, with Google taking over YouTube and fucking everything up...
Veke
Wise Scribe
Wise Scribe

Post by Veke »

Google taking over YouTube and fucking everything up...
awesome
Eagle-Head Priest 97
Wise Scribe
Wise Scribe

Post by Eagle-Head Priest 97 »

Google taking over youtube isn't awesome! :shock:
Former Member of popuw.com/forum
Veke
Wise Scribe
Wise Scribe

Post by Veke »

That was sarcasm there. Can somebody tell me, what bad has come of Google "taking over" Youtube, yet?
Eagle-Head Priest 97
Wise Scribe
Wise Scribe

Post by Eagle-Head Priest 97 »

Well, Youtube Channels 2.0. That sucks. I don't know if it's Googles doing, but the comments are all mixed up.
Former Member of popuw.com/forum
musicmaker
Vizier
Vizier

Post by musicmaker »

Veke wrote:That was sarcasm there. Can somebody tell me, what bad has come of Google "taking over" Youtube, yet?
The fact that I can't make or upload any more ace music videos anymore because I am now "breeching copyright".
~We are the music makers, and we are the dreamers of dreams.~

~Every move you make creates your destiny...~
Veke
Wise Scribe
Wise Scribe

Post by Veke »

Oh yeah, that. I totally forgot that. I don't make music videos myself, but I've seen many videos' audio been removed, even some of my favorites that earlier did have the audio.
OrSpeeder
Sheikh
Sheikh

Post by OrSpeeder »

These blocks are not google fault, they are RIAA fault.

Microsoft in fact disapoint me :( First I hated their bugged software (like everyone does), but now they are fucking the PC game market completly :(
musicmaker
Vizier
Vizier

Post by musicmaker »

programmer wrote:
musicmaker wrote:
Veke wrote:That was sarcasm there. Can somebody tell me, what bad has come of Google "taking over" Youtube, yet?
The fact that I can't make or upload any more ace music videos anymore because I am now "breeching copyright".
One of my friends told me that every time he uploads a music video, YT blocks it, but after that he uses some contact form (I don't remember the details) telling them that this is for promotion of the music and they always put it back.
It varies which is really stupid. Loads of people upload music with a slideshow of pictures that they don't touch. But people like me spend hours, sometimes days, on making a music video, and they get rid of it. And with me, they usually disable it altogether rather than just mute it. And even if I give a big spiel about how it's for the promotion of music, they never put it back.
~We are the music makers, and we are the dreamers of dreams.~

~Every move you make creates your destiny...~
Andrew
Wise Scribe
Wise Scribe

Post by Andrew »

OrSpeeder wrote:Microsoft in fact disapoint me :( First I hated their bugged software (like everyone does), but now they are fucking the PC game market completly :(
Care to elaborate on that last point?

Also, just out of curiosity, which Operating Systems do you use on your home PCs?
mickey96
Beylerbey
Beylerbey

Post by mickey96 »

mk1995 wrote: The thing of interest is the black box's content. Translated into proper English:

Microsoft already thought about only renting Windows. If the user doesn't pay the continous fee, the PC will be blocked until the fee has been paid, using the aforementioned technique. We can only hope that Microsoft didn't already provide Windows 7 with this feature. Else, many customers would leave their hands off it.
Why do you take everything seriously! Maybe website is just joking. You are becoming hairious!
Refueled my car! Now I can keep going!